    (it's a lot of money for a grad student to invest in, and many discussions on
    this subject are relatively old).

    Thank you for any answers/suggestions/advice. I appreciate everyone's help.
    BKGrch, May 21, 2008

  2. BKGrch

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 21/05/2008 in message
    <> BKGrch wrote:

    >I'm an architecture student running AutoCAD, Rhino, Maya, Adobe CS3. Are
    >these compatible with Vista 64-bit?

    You should check with the s/w company if they make 64 bit versions or if
    their 32 bit versions will run on Vista 64 (most should but it's worth
    checking as some don't).

    >I've heard that Vista 64-bit is a faster, more powerful OS than what I've
    >been using (XP Pro) but I don't want to switch if 64-bit compatibility is
    >still in its infancy (at least for the applications I'm using).

    I don't know where you heard that - Vista is not faster than XP by any
    means, probably the opposite is true. The key is to ensure that Vista 64
    drivers exist for your hardware, that gets you off the ground.

    I run XP x64 because I have 8GB RAM on my PC and XP (32) would only
    recognise about 3.5GB of it. Apart from that I have sen no advantage to 64
    bit over 32 bit - except it's a bit sexy to run a 64 bit OS :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Damerham Hampshire UK
    Jeff Gaines, May 21, 2008

  3. You should discuss compatibility with your specific vendors. Certainly, CAD
    and other large graphics programs can benefit from the ability to use more
    memory that 64-bit brings. I don't know if any of the programs you listed
    have specific 64-bit versions - if they do, they're likely a good deal more
    powerful than the 32-bit versions on large drawings, especially with 3D and
    shading. But even the 32-bit ones could benefit, as long as they're
    compatible - but only the vendor knows for sure.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008
  4. AutoCAD 2008 will have a native 64-bit version
    http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/02/autocad_2008_64.html

    Maya 2008 has a 64-bit version supported on 64 bit Vista Business
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639522

    Rhino v5 has a 64-bit version in development
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-565274.html

    There is a 64-bit Adobe CS4 in beta, Windows only, release expected later
    this year. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

    Vista generally is somewhat slower than XP as it does more self-checking and
    maintenance, but not noticeably so practice if you have enough RAM.

    As a student, you can buy the academic versions of many applications at a
    considerable discount.

    Dominic Payer, May 21, 2008
  5. BKGrch

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Yes, possibly, yes, probably not recommended. Contact them to be sure.

    AutoCad
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9722116&linkID=9240617

    ==========
    Rhino
    http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoOnVista.html
    Vista 64 is not mentioned. Requires Open GL support. XP runs it faster
    especially with large models.

    ==========
    Maya
    The 64-bit version of Maya 2008 software is supported on any of the
    following operating systems:

    Microsoft Windows Vista Business
    Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition (SP1 or higher)
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 WS (U5)
    Fedora Core 5

    ==========
    Adobe CS3

    Windows
    Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon®, or Intel Core™ Duo (or
    compatible) processor
    Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium,
    Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)
    1GB of RAM
    5GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during
    installation)
    1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
    DVD-ROM drive
    QuickTime 7.1.2 software required for multimedia features
    Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended require a Microsoft
    DirectX 9 capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM
    Internet or phone connection required for product activation
    Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other
    services
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, May 21, 2008
  6. BKGrch

    BKGrch Guest

    Thank you everyone for the very quick responses. It seems there are still
    glitches in running the 32-bit versions on a 64-bit OS and/or the development
    of 64-bit versions/drivers are still young. I appreciate the help, links,
    and research.

    Keep the advice coming.

    BKGrch, May 21, 2008
  7. BKGrch

    Jim Guest

    On May 21, 4:52 pm, BKGrch <> wrote:
    > Thank you everyone for the very quick responses.  It seems there are still
    > glitches in running the 32-bit versions on a 64-bit OS and/or the development
    > of 64-bit versions/drivers are still young.  I appreciate the help, links,
    > and research.
    >
    > Keep the advice coming.

    I posted this in another, more specific, thread; which you may, or may
    not have been following.

    I too am sympathetic, but no hopeful. I have Adobe Creative Suite 3
    Web Premiere on my Vista 64-bit system. Adobe update will not update
    Illustrator properly. Fortunately, the other programs, which are the
    ones I need, update properly. I called Adobe and they said that they
    do *not* guarantee 64-bit compatibility. Adobe told me to post my
    concerns to the Users Forums. I haven't bothered yet.

    From what you found out above, it *does* sound as if Adobe *is*
    addressing the problem, which is news to me. I am pleased that they
    have the foresight to support 64-bit operating systems, as they
    clearly represent the future. However, this means buying another
    expensive upgrade for me. It's always the *next* version that has the
    feature you really wanted. <g>

    Jim
    Jim, May 21, 2008