Vista 64: Athlon? Opteron?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
    "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
    the wisdom of these crowds.

    I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of upgrading
    CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2 3800+.
    I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of several
    models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
    Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
    there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
    computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
    Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
    that an Opteron won't?
    I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I was
    wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it designed
    for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess I'm
    just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
    servers.
    Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
    more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

    DP, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Hi,
    you have to consult your mainboard / manual / manufacturer
    for compatibility of your mobo with cpu

    mostly opterons have bigger cache (but depends)

    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Apr 19, 2007

  3. I have a co-worker who uses the Opty over the regular chips. Outside of the
    cost, he likes them better, because they are faster and overclock higher. He
    plays a fair numbers of games and is also using a Cross-fire config. If
    you're motherboard doesn't have a problem with the chip, I don't think
    you'll have a problem with the Opty

    If you post this question over in the forums at Tomshardware, I can almost
    assure you everyone is going to tell you to go with the Opty. I think the
    185 is the highest for the 939s
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103002

    Dale M. White, Apr 19, 2007
  4. In additon to Dale's comments, I would also suggest looking at the various
    components of the Vista rating of your system and check which subsystem is
    dragging your score down.
    Maybe what you need is not a processor upgrade but rather a better graphic
    card.
    I am also on the socket 939 bandwagon.
    My last uP upgrade was from Athlon 3500+ to Athlonx2 4200+ taking the
    processor score to 4.9.
    Now it is turn to upgrade my graphic card (7600GT) which is scoring a "low"
    4.6 making that number my system rating (it is the lowest).
    My mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) only supports Athlons (regular and x2) and AthlonsFX
    (no "Optys").
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 19, 2007
  5. DP

    DP Guest

    Oh, my graphics card is definitely my weakest link. But right now I'm
    focusing on CPU (4.8 performance index) since they won't be available much
    longer. Trying to hold out to see if prices drop one more time (and that
    they don't get sold out before then).
    I have another 939-board computer my kids use which has a single Athlon 64
    in it. So I can put my X2 in that machine if I buy a new CPU for my Vista
    machine. (That will still leave me with a used single-core Athlon, but ya
    gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, ya know.)
    Thanks, Carlos.

    DP, Apr 19, 2007
  6. "DP" <> wrote in message
    >I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
    >"the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
    >the wisdom of these crowds.
    >
    > I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
    > upgrading CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon
    > 64X2 3800+.
    > I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
    > several models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
    > Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
    > there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
    > computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
    > Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
    > that an Opteron won't?
    > I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
    > was wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
    > designed for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I
    > guess I'm just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is
    > designed for servers.
    > Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
    > more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

    do what I did if you can afford it..bin the 939 get a FX-62 and a DFI
    Lanparty mobo setup..plus a couple of Gainward Bliss 8800 GTX..ram change
    too, so 4 gig of Corsair XMS pro 800 (vista 32 only reads 3651 tho) job
    done
    --
    Scotty©

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Scotty=A9?=, Apr 19, 2007
  7. DP

    Theo Guest

    And, not but least, the prices of all socket 939 cpu have
    risen considerably lately. I bought a 4400+ x2 several
    months ago for about $180. If you can find one now you're
    looking at no less than $400. $513.95 today at ATACOM.com.

    NewEgg has the Opteron 185 for $329.99, which is fairly
    reasonable.

    Theo, Apr 19, 2007
  8. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Interesting, Carlos. I, too, have a 7600GT and my scores are 5.9 graphics
    5.4 gaming. My 5200+ x2 only gets a 5.1 my lowest score.

    John Barnes, Apr 19, 2007
  9. John:
    Not all 7600GT's are created equal.
    Amount of RAM (256 megs in my case) and type of memory (GDDR2 or 3) usually
    make a difference.
    My 7600GT scores are 4.6 and 4.9
    RAID0 HD's is 5.9
    Memory (2 gigs of "old" DDR400) is 4.6

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 19, 2007
  10. Funny we have the same expression in Spanish about the "objective" of
    breaking some eggs.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 19, 2007
  11. That's a bit odd. I have the 4800+ and it scores a 5.2. Though I thought the
    PI had it at 5.1 the first time,then I overclocked it from 2.4Ghz to 2.70
    and it stayed the same.

    The 7600GT doesn't seem like a 5.4 card. I have the X1900XTX and it scores a
    5.8. I wouldn't expect the 7600GT to score more than a 5. Though maybe it's
    just the time of time I run it, my hard drive did go from a 5.3 to a 5.4.

    But then again, the whole PI thing seems a bit screwy to me.

    Dale M. White, Apr 19, 2007
  12. My opty 175 gets a 5 on the cpu score and my 7800gt co gets a 5.9 and a 5.8.
    I would get the fasted clocked cpu with a 1mb cashe per core that I could
    find if I were upgrading a socket 939 mb as long as it would support it. I'm
    in the process of upgrading to lga775 and a c2d e6400 as my ram is dying and
    I refuse to buy more ddr.

    =?Utf-8?B?UHVmZm5zdHVmZg==?=, Apr 20, 2007
  13. DP

    DP Guest

    I've seen it attributed to Joseph Stalin, but I don't know if he originated
    it.

    DP, Apr 20, 2007
  14. DP

    DP Guest

    "Puffnstuff" <> wrote in message
    > I would get the fasted clocked cpu with a 1mb cashe per core that I could
    > find if I were upgrading a socket 939 mb as long as it would support it.

    Is there a reason to think a 939 motherboard wouldnt support a 939 Opteron?

    (BTW: I have ASUS A8N-E if that matters to anyone.)

    DP, Apr 20, 2007
  15. I went to this website http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Typed in the board you mentioned and it listed support for the 185 RevE6 and
    has supported it since rev 1011 of the bios.

    Dale M. White, Apr 20, 2007
  16. DP

    DP Guest

    That's funny. I thought it was just the opposite. The 170 and 175 are both
    under $300.
    I guess I better buy fast!

    DP, Apr 20, 2007
  17. DP

    DP Guest

    Can't afford it. Throw into that another $200 for the OS, since I bought the
    OEM version, which shouldn't be able to work with a new motherboard.

    DP, Apr 20, 2007
  18. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, Dale.

    DP, Apr 20, 2007
  19. If you're a heavy multitasker, go with the Opteron. If you're an
    overclocker, same answer. If you're a "normal" user, stick with the Athlon
    and save the $$.

    I recently upgraded one of my 939 boards for the same reason - getting hard
    to find the chips. I went with an Opteron at a slightly faster clock speed
    than my old chip, and the difference for my type of use (heavy multitasking)
    was far more than the difference of clock speed alone.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 20, 2007
  20. Sell it on eBay. Someone will want it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 20, 2007