    but it seems rather ridiculous that Microsoft couldn't get its act together
    and produce a 64 bit OS that provides a painless upgrade path with support
    for 32 bit applications and device drivers.
    Bull, Feb 14, 2008

  2. It looks to me like you already decided.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 14, 2008

  3. If you don't have or want to have >4 GB of RAM, by all means use 32-bit
    Vista. You'll be happier, and Norton will be able to slow it down
    sufficiently for you.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 14, 2008
  4. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 14, 2008
  5. I decided to take the x64 plunge and bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit to go with
    it. I'm happy to say that I have not had a single issue with it. After
    reading all of the incompatibility horror stories, I was really worried that
    I was going to get cut on the painful edge of a new product. I had managed
    to regularly, accidentally, crash Vista RC1 32-bit last year and decided to
    stick with XP until I was ready for a full PC upgrade.

    Fortunately, all of my software runs flawlessly, even my older games which
    have fairly heavy copy protection. Vista seems to be intelligent enough to
    determine just how to execute each piece of software and they all co-exist
    beautifully, 32-bit and 64-bit processes.

    The only 3rd-party 64-bit drivers I have installed are for my nVidia 8800 GT
    video card, and my Klegg NDAS NetDisk drive. Vista covered the rest.

    I was starting to install VMware Workstation 5.5, but Vista warned me that I
    was about to install a 32-bit driver, so I aborted. I'm still curious to
    know what would have happened, but I value my free time enough to not want to
    re-install everything if it hoses up the OS.

    Anyway, as for installing Vista, it was completely painless. It's probably
    the most straight-forward OS installation that I've performed since MS-DOS
    6.22. Of course, it was an OEM installation that started with a freshly
    formatted hard drive.

    I've never heard of an "Upgrade" to any version of Windows going very well,
    and that may be the source of your frustration. Try wiping the hard drive
    partition and starting from scratch with all of the newest drivers -- I bet
    you'll have a much better experience.

    Unfriendly Fire, Feb 15, 2008
  6. VMWare Workstation 6.0 works well with Vista 64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "Unfriendly Fire" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 15, 2008
  7. Vista upgrades are still clean installs of the OS. The issues with XP
    upgrades do not exist with Vista because Vista Setup uses block copying
    rather than XP's file copying. There are no 'fragments' of code left from
    the earlier OS because every byte in a block is specified as data or zero.

    "Unfriendly Fire" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 15, 2008
  8. "Unfriendly Fire" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >I decided to take the x64 plunge and bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit to go
    >with
    > it.

    A very intelligent move on your part. Keep up the good work :)
    Garblich Piotr, Feb 15, 2008
  9. Bull

    Mr. Clemens Guest

    Neither