Vist Machine cannot see XP machine on Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by sr19, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. sr19

    sr19 Guest

    I hope someone can help me with this.
    I have a Vista machine and a XP machine networked together on a small home
    network. The XP machine is running XP professional 5.1 with Service pack 3;
    the Vista machine, Vista Home Premium 6.0 service pack 2; Both are connected
    using a linksys wireless router. The Vista machine is hard wired into the
    router and the XP machine is wireless. Everything worked as it should until
    a few weeks ago when I was no longer able to access the XP machine or its
    files from the Vista machine. When I view the network map from Vista I can
    see the XP machine on the map but there is a broken line (dotted line)
    between the XP machine and the router. Additionally there is an icon for a
    switch between the Vista machine and the router. I have never seen the switch
    icon on the network map before. I have internet access for both machines and
    I am able to share printers that are on the network without any problems at
    all; I just can’t access the XP machine from the Vista Machine.
    This is what I have done so far to correct the problem.
    1) Ran the network wizard utility from the XP machine and completely set up
    the network from scratch (many times)
    2) installed the hot fix # KB922120-V6 from the Microsoft support site.
    3) Reset the router.
    Both computers and the router have a different IP address… I think this is
    the way it’s supposed to be but I’m not sure.
    I can ping the router and the Vista machine from the XP machine perfectly.
    From the vista machine I can ping the router OK but I CANNOT ping the XP
    machine.
    Any suggestions? Please?
    sr19, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Hi
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing
    XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
    XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 19, 2010