    I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
    subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
    moth).

    midie, Aug 6, 2006

  2. midie

    no_name Guest

    midie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This week my wife found this visitor in our garden:
    > http://www.pbase.com/midie/garden_visitor
    >
    > He (?) was living in one of our fuchsia plants in the garden, and I
    > couldn't resist turning him into a macro subject. I didn't have access
    > to my tripod unfortunately, and the light was beginning to fail.
    >
    > Anyway, our visitor stayed with us (in exactly the same position) for
    > a couple of days before meeting a sticky end - one of our cats got
    > him.....
    >
    > I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
    > subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
    > moth).

    Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
    matching image.

    no_name, Aug 9, 2006

  3. midie

    Mike Guest

    "no_name" <> wrote in message
    > midie wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This week my wife found this visitor in our garden:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/midie/garden_visitor
    >>
    >> He (?) was living in one of our fuchsia plants in the garden, and I
    >> couldn't resist turning him into a macro subject. I didn't have access
    >> to my tripod unfortunately, and the light was beginning to fail.
    >>
    >> Anyway, our visitor stayed with us (in exactly the same position) for
    >> a couple of days before meeting a sticky end - one of our cats got
    >> him.....
    >>
    >> I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
    >> subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
    >> moth).

    > Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
    > matching image.

    Actually, I did some research and found something very similar, but I've
    forgotten the name. I'm in work now but if I get a spare moment later I will
    do another search.
    Cheers

    Mike, Aug 10, 2006
  4. midie

    Mike Guest

    "no_name" <> wrote in message
    > midie wrote:
    >

    > Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
    > matching image.

    I THINK this is the one -
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...llar&start=20&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

    The one in our garden seems to be a bit different, but the spot markings are
    very similar as is the shade of green from one of the two possible types of
    this caterpillar. I'm not entirely certain it's one of these though - I know
    nothing about caterpillars (except that they look bloody scary through a
    100mm macro lens!!)

    Cheers

    Mike, Aug 10, 2006