    work there? I also have Canon DSLR? Do I need to take any extra
    precaution for the camera due to cold there? I would appreciate any
    members personal experience . With thanks.

    asdf3b, Dec 15, 2007

  2. asdf3b

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:29:58 -0800, asdf3b wrote:

    > Greetings! I am thinking of going to Iceland and Greenland in next
    > summer. Does the ordinary Point and Shoot camera like Kodak z612 will
    > work there? I also have Canon DSLR? Do I need to take any extra
    > precaution for the camera due to cold there? I would appreciate any
    > members personal experience . With thanks.

    I would not think it would be terribly cold there in the summer. I've used
    a variety of digital cameras in the winter in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming
    without any problem. If it's much below zero (F) you'll probably want to
    keep it inside your coat.

    ray, Dec 15, 2007

  3. asdf3b

    Guest

    On Dec 15, 1:02 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:29:58 -0800, asdf3b wrote:
    > > Greetings! I am thinking of going to Iceland and Greenland in next
    > > summer. Does the ordinary Point and Shoot camera like Kodak z612 will
    > > work there? I also have Canon DSLR? Do I need to take any extra
    > > precaution for the camera due to cold there? I would appreciate any
    > > members personal experience . With thanks.

    > I would not think it would be terribly cold there in the summer. I've used
    > a variety of digital cameras in the winter in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming
    > without any problem. If it's much below zero (F) you'll probably want to
    > keep it inside your coat.

    I am not sure why people are so much concern about taking digital
    photos in cold weather. There was another article in this NG, which
    indicated that digital camera works above 0 degC. I am asuming that
    this is the operating range if you keep it exposed to the air for a
    long time (like putting it on tripod, etc). It also discussed about
    the batteries which start to stop functioning or reduce its "juices"
    at this low temperature.
    However, I took many photos outside in weather which was as cold as
    -40C or -40F in the arctic on a few occasions, as long as I took the
    photos very fast and then keep it back inside my pocket or jacket, I
    did not have any problem at all. I recall of using a cheap 3 MP
    Panasonic Lumix digital camera which uses regular battery (LC50?). I
    even remembered that during my shootings of the aereal borealis
    (northern lights) in the arctic, my camera even fell down into the
    soft snow. The snow powdered went around the lens, but I just wipe it
    quickly and bring back into the warm place and wipe the moisture out.
    Luckily, It did not cause any damage. So, I don't know the fuss about
    taking pictures in exteremely cold weather. I like PS camera for such
    usage, as I can quickly turn it on, point and shoot and back into my
    inside jacket.

    , Dec 15, 2007
  4. asdf3b

    Ron Hunter Guest

    asdf3b wrote:
    > Greetings! I am thinking of going to Iceland and Greenland in next
    > summer. Does the ordinary Point and Shoot camera like Kodak z612 will
    > work there? I also have Canon DSLR? Do I need to take any extra
    > precaution for the camera due to cold there? I would appreciate any
    > members personal experience . With thanks.

    You might consider models with lithium batteries as they do well in
    cold. Otherwise, keep the camera inside your coat, and only leave it
    out long enough to do your pictures. There should be no problem,
    especially in the summer.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2007
  5. asdf3b

    sigvaldi Guest

    On Dec 15, 7:02 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:29:58 -0800, asdf3b wrote:
    > > Greetings! I am thinking of going toIcelandand Greenland in next
    > > summer. Does the ordinary Point and Shoot camera like Kodak z612 will
    > > work there? I also have Canon DSLR? Do I need to take any extra
    > > precaution for the camera due to cold there? I would appreciate any
    > > members personal experience . With thanks.

    > I would not think it would be terribly cold there in the summer. I've used
    > a variety of digital cameras in the winter in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming
    > without any problem. If it's much below zero (F) you'll probably want to
    > keep it inside your coat.

    Iceland does not get much under 10°C in the summer and temps go up
    towards the 30°C mark. Winters are much milder than most of Canada or
    the mountain states in the USA, around or above 0°C at the coldest.

    sigvaldi, Dec 16, 2007