    anyone suggest how I can get those visited links to display a different
    color so that I know what I've already looked at? I'm using Firefox as my
    browser. Thanks.

    Remi, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Remi

    Mike Easter Guest

    Remi wrote:
    > It used to be that when I visited a linked site, the link would change
    > colors so that I could tell where I've already been. That no longer
    > happens even though I have the settings set to change visited links'
    > colors. Can anyone suggest how I can get those visited links to
    > display a different color so that I know what I've already looked at?
    > I'm using Firefox as my browser. Thanks.

    In my linux version of Firefox 2.0.0.4, the location of the
    configuration for the colors of visited vs unvisited websites is in FF/
    Edit/ Preferences - Content tab - Fonts&Colors section - Colors button -
    Link colors section

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Remi

    Remi Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but in the Windows XP version there's no
    "preferences" under the "edit" tab. The "content" tab is under "Tools" and
    I've tried that. It doesn't seem to work.

    Remi, Jan 24, 2008
  4. Remi wrote:

    > It used to be that when I visited a linked site, the link would change
    > colors so that I could tell where I've already been. That no longer
    > happens even though I have the settings set to change visited links'
    > colors. Can anyone suggest how I can get those visited links to display a
    > different color so that I know what I've already looked at? I'm using
    > Firefox as my browser. Thanks.

    In your FF profile directory, go into the chrome directory. In
    there, you'll either find a userContent.css file or you won't. If you do,
    add this line to it:

    a:visited {color: #FF0000 !important;}

    (Make the color whatever you want. #FF0000 is red. Look up color codes
    if you need to.)

    If you don't have a userContent.css file there, make one with a text
    editor (NOT WORD - A TEXT EDITOR), put that line in it, and save it.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2008
  5. Remi

    chuckie® Guest

    "Remi" <> wrote in message
    > It used to be that when I visited a linked site, the link would change
    > colors so that I could tell where I've already been. That no longer

    happens
    > even though I have the settings set to change visited links' colors. Can
    > anyone suggest how I can get those visited links to display a different
    > color so that I know what I've already looked at? I'm using Firefox as my
    > browser. Thanks.

    Internet Explorer or Control Panel>Internet Options>Colors button (lower
    left), allows to choose colors for visited and unvisited...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 25, 2008
  6. Remi

    chuckie® Guest

    "chuckie®" <> wrote in message

    > "Remi" <> wrote in message
    > > It used to be that when I visited a linked site, the link would change
    > > colors so that I could tell where I've already been. That no longer

    > happens
    > > even though I have the settings set to change visited links' colors. Can
    > > anyone suggest how I can get those visited links to display a different
    > > color so that I know what I've already looked at? I'm using Firefox as

    my
    > > browser. Thanks.
    > >

    > Internet Explorer or Control Panel>Internet Options>Colors button (lower
    > left), allows to choose colors for visited and unvisited...luck...

    One of these years I'll learn to read the entire post before throwing in my
    'two cents'. In Firefox, Tools>Options>Fonts and Colors button, perhaps
    change the 'visited' one to a more visible color than the standard
    blue...just a thought...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 25, 2008
  7. Remi

    DanR Guest

    chuckie® wrote:
    > "Remi" <> wrote in message
    >> It used to be that when I visited a linked site, the link would
    >> change colors so that I could tell where I've already been. That no
    >> longer happens even though I have the settings set to change visited
    >> links' colors. Can anyone suggest how I can get those visited links
    >> to display a different color so that I know what I've already looked
    >> at? I'm using Firefox as my browser. Thanks.
    >>

    > Internet Explorer or Control Panel>Internet Options>Colors button
    > (lower left), allows to choose colors for visited and
    > unvisited...luck...

    In IE this works only if you open a new site in the same window and then go
    back to the original site. It will not work for tabbed browsing where you
    open the new link in a new tab and then close that tab to go back. If you're
    in Google News and click open an article in a new tab and then close that
    new window the original Google News page will not show that it has been
    visited. If you refresh Google News the link will have changed color.
    (usually. I just found this to be somewhat inconsistent)

    DanR, Jan 25, 2008
  8. Remi

    Remi Guest

    Thanks Blinky. Do I save this new line as a .txt file?

    Remi, Jan 25, 2008
  9. Remi wrote:

    > Thanks Blinky. Do I save this new line as a .txt file?

    Did I not say that it's userContent.css ? Twice?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Remi

    Remi Guest

    Blinky: Could you please explain further. Sorry, but I don't understand what
    userContent.css is and how to save it in such a format. I'm using Notepad.

    Remi, Jan 25, 2008
  11. Remi wrote:

    > Blinky: Could you please explain further. Sorry, but I don't understand
    > what userContent.css is and how to save it in such a format. I'm using
    > Notepad.

    Good Christ, man. When you save the file, SAVE IT AS userContent.css.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 25, 2008
  12. Remi

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:45:43 -0800, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >Did I not say that it's userContent.css ? Twice?

    No. Three times now.

    Evan Platt, Jan 25, 2008
  13. Remi

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:38:50 +0000, Remi wrote:

    > Blinky: Could you please explain further. Sorry, but I don't understand what
    > userContent.css is and how to save it in such a format. I'm using Notepad.

    Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?

    Perhaps they could show you.

    <boggle>

    Dan C, Jan 25, 2008
  14. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Remi wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky: Could you please explain further. Sorry, but I don't
    >> understand what userContent.css is and how to save it in such a
    >> format. I'm using Notepad.

    > Good Christ, man. When you save the file, SAVE IT AS
    > userContent.css.

    Perhaps dear Remi doesn't understand that a ".css" file is nothing more
    than a text (".txt") file with a different file extension name, and that
    is confusing him...

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 25, 2008
  15. Remi

    Remi Guest

    Thank you "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" . That was my problem. I did not know
    that a .css file is just a .txt file with a different extension. So....now
    that I know I did what Blinky suggested. I now have a .css file in my Chrome
    directory with the line "a:visited {color: #FF0000 !important;"}in it. So
    now sites that I've visited should be highlighted in red, butFirefox still
    isn't changing the colors of the sites I visit.

    Oh well, such is life. Thanks to all that tried to help, even though your
    sarcasm wasn't helpful.

    Remi, Jan 26, 2008
  16. Remi

    G. Morgan Guest

    Remi wrote:

    >Thank you "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" . That was my problem. I did not know
    >that a .css file is just a .txt file with a different extension. So....now
    >that I know I did what Blinky suggested. I now have a .css file in my Chrome
    >directory with the line "a:visited {color: #FF0000 !important;"}in it. So
    >now sites that I've visited should be highlighted in red, butFirefox still
    >isn't changing the colors of the sites I visit.
    >
    >Oh well, such is life. Thanks to all that tried to help, even though your
    >sarcasm wasn't helpful.

    Tools > Options > Content tab > Colors > uncheck "allow pages to..."

    Choose your colors and if you want them underlined in that same dialog
    box

    --

    -G

    G. Morgan, Jan 26, 2008
  17. Remi

    Remi Guest

    Thanks G. Morgan. Already tried that and it still does nothing except make
    most of the sites I visit bare-bones.

    Remi, Jan 26, 2008
  18. Remi wrote:

    > Thank you "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" . That was my problem. I did not
    > know that a .css file is just a .txt file with a different extension.
    > So....now that I know I did what Blinky suggested. I now have a .css
    > file in my Chrome directory with the line "a:visited {color: #FF0000
    > !important;"}in it. So now sites that I've visited should be
    > highlighted in red, butFirefox still isn't changing the colors of the
    > sites I visit.

    Hopefully, you did not start the line with a quote, and you do not have
    that quote mark inside the brace.

    a:visited {color: #FF0000 !important;"}
    ......................................^

    Just in case: did you restart the browser after creating the file? For
    kicks, I just added:

    a:visited ( color: #006400 !important; }

    to my userContent.css - and the visited links all turned green.
    (#006400 is green.)

    Please don't top post. Thanks for your consideration.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 26, 2008
  19. G. Morgan wrote:

    > Remi wrote:
    >> Oh well, such is life. Thanks to all that tried to help, even though
    >> your sarcasm wasn't helpful.

    > Tools > Options > Content tab > Colors > uncheck "allow pages to..."
    >
    > Choose your colors and if you want them underlined in that same
    > dialog box

    That'll work, but it will surely mess up a lot of web sites that use
    other than 'standard' colors... Tread carefully.

    For that matter, using userContent.css to change a visited color to red
    can backfire if/when you find a site with a red background. <g>

    Links /should/ always be underlined, else you have to wave your mouse
    around looking for them.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 26, 2008
  20. Remi

    G. Morgan Guest

    Remi wrote:

    >Thanks G. Morgan. Already tried that and it still does nothing except make
    >most of the sites I visit bare-bones.

    Sorry that isn't going to work for you. All I can suggest now since
    modifying the style sheet didn't work is to try a new theme and see if
    it is any better:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2

    --

    -G