    Please advise if I should post this message in a different newsgroup.
    Thanks,

    Mike
    Mike, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:46:42 +0000, Mike wrote
    (in article <mx%Jf.12105$dO2.4352@trnddc07>):

    > Several years ago, my workgroup purchased a five seat license for VISIO 2000
    > standard. Last week I attempted to install a copy in compaqtible mode on a
    > XP Pro PC, but was prompted to enter an install key. I don't remember
    > entering a install key when I last installed it.
    > How can I get a replacement install key. I still have the original five seat
    > license from the vendor. The PCs it was originally installed on were
    > scraped.
    >
    > Should I contact the vendor?
    >
    > Please advise if I should post this message in a different newsgroup.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    You can't. M$haft no longer support it.
    Margolotta, Feb 19, 2006

  3. Mike

    bigjon Guest

    Re: really like this girl but...

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:04:12 -0800 (PST), Margolotta wrote:

    > Margolotta <> wrote in message
    > <>...
    >
    >> The name Pavlov rings a bell.

    bit of a dog then?

    --
    (\__/)
    bigjon, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Margolotta" <> wrote in message >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > You can't. M$haft no longer support it.

    That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?

    Mike
    Mike, Feb 19, 2006
  5. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +0000, Mike wrote
    (in article <rC3Kf.20487$6f2.9685@trnddc02>):

    > "Margolotta" <> wrote in message >>
    >>> Mike
    >>>

    >> You can't. M$haft no longer support it.
    >>

    > That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?
    >
    > Mike

    M$haft won't port it [sic] because it's obsolete. There has been no support
    for 14 months.

    Whether you have the original licences or not is completely irrelevant. You
    are asking for support on an outdated product.

    see <
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=visio&gadate=0&x=
    15&y=10>
    Margolotta, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Mike

    Euripides Guest

    Margolotta wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +0000, Mike wrote
    > (in article <rC3Kf.20487$6f2.9685@trnddc02>):
    >

    >> "Margolotta" <> wrote in
    >> message >>
    >>>>

    >>> You can't. M$haft no longer support it.
    >>>

    >> That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?
    >>
    >> Mike

    > M$haft

    ^^^^^^^

    <snip>

    I think it's funny how Linux and Mac users always seem to have a pet term
    for Microsoft users, as above.

    And I find it even funnier that (one of, or is it the ONLY one?) the Mac
    usenet client is called *Hogwash*er.

    :)

    --
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
    Euripides, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Mike

    AGEE Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:46:42 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >Several years ago, my workgroup purchased a five seat license for VISIO 2000
    >standard. Last week I attempted to install a copy in compaqtible mode on a
    >XP Pro PC, but was prompted to enter an install key. I don't remember
    >entering a install key when I last installed it.
    >How can I get a replacement install key. I still have the original five seat
    >license from the vendor. The PCs it was originally installed on were
    >scraped.
    >
    >Should I contact the vendor?

    Contact microsoft and explain the problem. They should supply you with
    a key.

    AGEE, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Mike

    AGEE Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:25:11 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >"Margolotta" <> wrote in message >>
    >>> Mike
    >>>

    >> You can't. M$haft no longer support it.
    >>

    >That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?

    Support in this case means updates and patches to make it run on XP or
    newer OSs
    AGEE, Feb 19, 2006
  9. Mike

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Euripides" <> wrote in message

    > Margolotta wrote:

    >> M$haft

    > ^^^^^^^
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I think it's funny how Linux and Mac users always seem to have a pet term
    > for Microsoft users, as above.

    I find it funny how people think that referring to the company is referring
    to the users.

    > And I find it even funnier that (one of, or is it the ONLY one?) the Mac
    > usenet client is called *Hogwash*er.

    Hah, pisseed my self reading that.

    Actually ... no I didn't. Perhaps the "hogwash" you think it refers to are
    posts from comcast users.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Feb 19, 2006
  10. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:00:55 +0000, Euripides wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Margolotta wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +0000, Mike wrote
    >> (in article <rC3Kf.20487$6f2.9685@trnddc02>):
    >>

    >>> "Margolotta" <> wrote in
    >>> message >>

    >>> That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> M$haft

    > ^^^^^^^
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I think it's funny how Linux and Mac users always seem to have a pet term
    > for Microsoft users, as above.

    Er, what?! There are no "Microsoft users" as you cannot use a company. There
    are, however, users of Microsoft products.

    And it was clear from the context of the sentence that the term was referring
    to the *COMPANY* *not* the users of its products. Or are you really so
    retarded that you cannot understand a sentence written in plain English?

    > And I find it even funnier that (one of, or is it the ONLY one?) the Mac
    > usenet client is called *Hogwash*er.

    There are (probably) more Usenet clients for the Mac than there are for the
    PC. OTTOMH, I can think of at least eight: -

    Hogwasher
    MacSOUP
    Entourage
    Unison
    MT NewsWatcher
    Newsflash
    OSXNews
    MaxNews
    NewsHunter

    And they all have many features that Outhouse Excrement does not

    Full yEnc support
    Proper quoting
    Coloured quoting
    x-no archive: yes support
    Most support the downloading and joining of binaries in the background (so
    you can still read news whilst binaries are downloading).

    Now, Windoze clients

    OE
    Agent
    Xnews
    NewsRover
    TLNews

    There may be more, but those are all I can think of. So, it would appear
    there are almost twice as many for the Mac...

    Do not ridicule what you do not comprehend...
    Margolotta, Feb 20, 2006
  11. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:23:00 +0000, AGEE wrote
    (in article <>):

    >>> You can't. M$haft no longer support it.
    >>>

    >> That sucks. Why won't ms port it? I have the original five license?
    >>

    > Support in this case means updates and patches to make it run on XP or
    > newer OSs

    Er, no it doesn't. It runs perfectly well under XP. Support means exactly
    what I said it means.

    From the lifecycle support page

    Mainstream support includes:
    € Incident support (no-charge incident support, paid incident support,
    support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims)
    € Security update support
    € The ability to request non-security hotfixes
    The ability to request replacement keys and media

    Extended support includes:
    € Paid support
    € Security update support at no additional cost
    € Non-security related hotfix support requires a separate Extended Hotfix
    Support contract to be purchased. Per-fix fees also apply.
    € Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes,
    or new features during the Extended support phase.
    € Extended support is not available for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, and
    Business Solutions.
    Margolotta, Feb 20, 2006
  12. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:22:10 +0000, AGEE wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:46:42 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Several years ago, my workgroup purchased a five seat license for VISIO 2000
    >> standard. Last week I attempted to install a copy in compaqtible mode on a
    >> XP Pro PC, but was prompted to enter an install key. I don't remember
    >> entering a install key when I last installed it.
    >> How can I get a replacement install key. I still have the original five seat
    >> license from the vendor. The PCs it was originally installed on were
    >> scraped.
    >>
    >> Should I contact the vendor?

    > Contact microsoft and explain the problem. They should supply you with
    > a key.

    What parts of "obsolete' and 'no longer supported" are you having problems
    understanding exactly...?

    MS will *NOT* supply him with a new key because all support ended on the
    31/12/04. That's *ALL* support - no replacement keys, no replacement media,
    no hotfixes, no patches, no nothing.

    Capiche?
    Margolotta, Feb 20, 2006
  13. Margolotta wrote:

    > Now, Windoze clients
    >
    > OE
    > Agent
    > Xnews
    > NewsRover
    > TLNews
    >
    > There may be more, but those are all I can think of. So, it would appear
    > there are almost twice as many for the Mac...

    Really?
    http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

    Check my header.

    > Do not ridicule what you do not comprehend...

    I second that!

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 20, 2006
  14. Mike

    Mike Guest

    It'll run in compatibility mode.
    Any suggestions for the cheapest source to buy legitimate copy of VISIO?

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  15. Mike

    AGEE Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:31:36 +0000, Margolotta
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:22:10 +0000, AGEE wrote
    >(in article <>):
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:46:42 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Several years ago, my workgroup purchased a five seat license for VISIO 2000
    >>> standard. Last week I attempted to install a copy in compaqtible mode on a
    >>> XP Pro PC, but was prompted to enter an install key. I don't remember
    >>> entering a install key when I last installed it.
    >>> How can I get a replacement install key. I still have the original five seat
    >>> license from the vendor. The PCs it was originally installed on were
    >>> scraped.
    >>>
    >>> Should I contact the vendor?

    >> Contact microsoft and explain the problem. They should supply you with
    >> a key.
    >>

    >What parts of "obsolete' and 'no longer supported" are you having problems
    >understanding exactly...?
    >
    >MS will *NOT* supply him with a new key because all support ended on the
    >31/12/04. That's *ALL* support - no replacement keys, no replacement media,
    >no hotfixes, no patches, no nothing.
    >
    >Capiche?

    You tried asking microsoft?
    AGEE, Feb 20, 2006
  16. Mike

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:49:05 +0000, AGEE wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:31:36 +0000, Margolotta
    > <> wrote:

    > You tried asking microsoft?

    Yep. That's how I know about the lifecycle pages.

    Oh and *do* learn to snip, dear...
    Margolotta, Feb 20, 2006
  17. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Will do that tomorrow.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  18. Mike

    AGEE Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:09:37 +0000, Margolotta
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:49:05 +0000, AGEE wrote
    >(in article <>):
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:31:36 +0000, Margolotta
    >> <> wrote:

    >> You tried asking microsoft?

    >Yep. That's how I know about the lifecycle pages.

    Which has bugerall to do with whether a key for software is available
    or not.

    They must not like you.
    I got a key for outdated software a couple of years ago simply by
    phoning the UK head office. It may be dependant on who you get on the
    other end of the line but they were quite happy to look it up for me.
    I suggest the OP does that. Then if he gets no satisfaction it will
    depend on which legal jurisdiction he lives in. UK law will give him
    some protection.

    >Oh and *do* learn to snip, dear...

    FOAD dear....
    AGEE, Feb 20, 2006
  19. Mike

    Mike Guest

    FWIW, I called the MS and was treated professionally.
    I was told my five seat license was still good and the CD didnot require an
    installation key. According to MS I had probably tried to install a later
    version
    of VISIO on the PCs that requested an installation key for the ver 2000 CD,
    which was the case. Also, I learned that each stand alone copy of VISIO
    2003
    standard had a two seat license. So, with the five seat license and the two
    individual
    VISIO CDs I have a total of nine licenses which meets my needs.
    How can I get rid of VISIO artifacts that are in the registry of a couple of
    PCs where I tried to install later versions of VISIO that had run out of
    licenses?

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 21, 2006
  20. Mike

    AGEE Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:49:42 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >FWIW, I called the MS and was treated professionally.
    >I was told my five seat license was still good and the CD didnot require an
    >installation key. According to MS I had probably tried to install a later
    >version
    >of VISIO on the PCs that requested an installation key for the ver 2000 CD,
    >which was the case. Also, I learned that each stand alone copy of VISIO
    >2003
    >standard had a two seat license. So, with the five seat license and the two
    >individual
    >VISIO CDs I have a total of nine licenses which meets my needs.
    >How can I get rid of VISIO artifacts that are in the registry of a couple of
    >PCs where I tried to install later versions of VISIO that had run out of
    >licenses?
    >
    >Mike

    You don't say what operating system you have.
    Maybe a freeware registry cleaner although rumour has it they are
    pretty brutal. Find some here
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/ Although I can't
    vouch for any.

    This one works okay with w98 and w2000 http://www.jv16.org/