Viruses?!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Misty, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Misty

    Misty Guest

    I have Norton AV installed and it still shows my emails 'after' they have
    been disinfected. That way I know where the emails came from...'sort of!
    Tonight, I installed Grisoft's AVG (Free version) and I now notice that the
    emails get deleted. That means I now do 'not' know where they came from. The
    Grisoft stuff seems okay for a freebie, but it looks like Norton AV is
    beating it to the punch as it's the program that's telling me it's found a
    virus in my email, whereas I get no such 'message' from Grisoft AVG. I got
    curious (desperate really) so I purposelt D/L'd a virus from a CD which I
    know has a virus on it and put the two programs to the test. I right-clicked
    on the virus file and selected "scan with AVG"....'it reported that the file
    was clean. I did the same again but used the Norton AV program and this time
    it told me it had found a virus. Anyone know why the Grisoft program failed
    here? All my virus definitions are bang up to date btw. I am having a
    "problem" with the Norton software though when I try to run Live Update, I
    get this message..."LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed
    when it ran. This update was not applied". It updates the definitions, but
    I don't actually know what the "error" message means.

    Misty.

    P.S.
    Is this there a virus "plague" going down tonight? The reason I ask that I
    have been hit app., 30 times tonight by viruses in my emails in the past
    hour. This is an unusually big number for me. Anyone know what might be
    going on?

    TIA.

    Misty, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Misty

    FML Guest

    Misty wrote:
    > I have Norton AV installed and it still shows my emails 'after' they have
    > been disinfected. That way I know where the emails came from...'sort of!
    > Tonight, I installed Grisoft's AVG (Free version) and I now notice that the
    > emails get deleted. That means I now do 'not' know where they came from. The
    > Grisoft stuff seems okay for a freebie, but it looks like Norton AV is
    > beating it to the punch as it's the program that's telling me it's found a
    > virus in my email, whereas I get no such 'message' from Grisoft AVG. I got
    > curious (desperate really) so I purposelt D/L'd a virus from a CD which I
    > know has a virus on it and put the two programs to the test. I right-clicked
    > on the virus file and selected "scan with AVG"....'it reported that the file
    > was clean. I did the same again but used the Norton AV program and this time
    > it told me it had found a virus. Anyone know why the Grisoft program failed
    > here? All my virus definitions are bang up to date btw. I am having a
    > "problem" with the Norton software though when I try to run Live Update, I
    > get this message..."LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed
    > when it ran. This update was not applied". It updates the definitions, but
    > I don't actually know what the "error" message means.
    >
    > Misty.
    >
    > P.S.
    > Is this there a virus "plague" going down tonight? The reason I ask that I
    > have been hit app., 30 times tonight by viruses in my emails in the past
    > hour. This is an unusually big number for me. Anyone know what might be
    > going on?
    >
    > TIA.

    Do you have the two virus scanning programs running at the same time?
    You should only have one doing live scans while you can use the other
    manually.

    Personally I use Kapersky on my business' computers and Avast on my home
    systems. Happy with both.

    FML, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Misty

    The Wanderer Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:10:25 GMT, Misty wrote:

    > I have Norton AV installed and it still shows my emails 'after' they have
    > been disinfected. That way I know where the emails came from...'sort of!

    Much better to use Mailwasher, that way you get to view a 'text' only
    version of the emails whilst they're still on your ISP's server. You can
    delete them from the server and only d/l those you want. Couple it with
    their B9 product and also the various options for spam reporting and
    look-up and you're gonna be in a pretty good state for filtering your
    emails.

    --
    the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

    The Wanderer, Sep 28, 2005
  4. Misty

    Martik Guest

    "Misty" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have Norton AV installed and it still shows my emails 'after' they have
    >been disinfected. That way I know where the emails came from...'sort of!
    >Tonight, I installed Grisoft's AVG (Free version) and I now notice that the
    >emails get deleted. That means I now do 'not' know where they came from.
    >The Grisoft stuff seems okay for a freebie, but it looks like Norton AV is
    >beating it to the punch as it's the program that's telling me it's found a
    >virus in my email, whereas I get no such 'message' from Grisoft AVG. I got
    >curious (desperate really) so I purposelt D/L'd a virus from a CD which I
    >know has a virus on it and put the two programs to the test. I
    >right-clicked on the virus file and selected "scan with AVG"....'it
    >reported that the file was clean. I did the same again but used the Norton
    >AV program and this time it told me it had found a virus. Anyone know why
    >the Grisoft program failed here? All my virus definitions are bang up to
    >date btw. I am having a "problem" with the Norton software though when I
    >try to run Live Update, I get this message..."LU1812: A program that was
    >part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied". It
    >updates the definitions, but I don't actually know what the "error" message
    >means.
    >
    > Misty.
    >
    > P.S.
    > Is this there a virus "plague" going down tonight? The reason I ask that I
    > have been hit app., 30 times tonight by viruses in my emails in the past
    > hour. This is an unusually big number for me. Anyone know what might be
    > going on?
    >
    > TIA.

    Install Linux (dual boot) to use for email/browsing and never worry about
    viruses again!

    Martik, Sep 28, 2005
  5. Misty

    Plato Guest

    Misty wrote:

    You should only have one anti-virus running at the same time otherwise
    you will/may run into problems.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Misty

    The One Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message

    > "Misty" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I have Norton AV installed and it still shows my emails 'after' they have
    > >been disinfected. That way I know where the emails came from...'sort of!
    > >Tonight, I installed Grisoft's AVG (Free version) and I now notice that

    the
    > >emails get deleted. That means I now do 'not' know where they came from.
    > >The Grisoft stuff seems okay for a freebie, but it looks like Norton AV

    is
    > >beating it to the punch as it's the program that's telling me it's found

    > >virus in my email, whereas I get no such 'message' from Grisoft AVG. I

    got
    > >curious (desperate really) so I purposelt D/L'd a virus from a CD which I
    > >know has a virus on it and put the two programs to the test. I
    > >right-clicked on the virus file and selected "scan with AVG"....'it
    > >reported that the file was clean. I did the same again but used the

    Norton
    > >AV program and this time it told me it had found a virus. Anyone know why
    > >the Grisoft program failed here? All my virus definitions are bang up to
    > >date btw. I am having a "problem" with the Norton software though when I
    > >try to run Live Update, I get this message..."LU1812: A program that was
    > >part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied". It
    > >updates the definitions, but I don't actually know what the "error"

    message
    > >means.
    > >
    > > Misty.
    > >
    > > P.S.
    > > Is this there a virus "plague" going down tonight? The reason I ask that

    > > have been hit app., 30 times tonight by viruses in my emails in the past
    > > hour. This is an unusually big number for me. Anyone know what might be
    > > going on?
    > >
    > > TIA.

    > Install Linux (dual boot) to use for email/browsing and never worry about
    > viruses again!

    I have Avast which updates automatically, I never worry about Virus's.

    The One, Sep 29, 2005