    and it found 45 virusues.

    Any comments?

    John

    ++ killinchy ++, Mar 17, 2005

  2. ++ killinchy ++

    SgtMinor Guest

    ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
    > I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
    > machine was clean.
    >
    > Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
    > "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
    > and it found 45 virusues.
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > John

    Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider
    taking a computer course or two.

    SgtMinor, Mar 17, 2005

  3. ++ killinchy ++

    DC Guest

    ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
    > I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
    > machine was clean.

    > Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
    > "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
    > and it found 45 virusues.

    > Any comments?

    That's a lot of viruses.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

    DC, Mar 18, 2005
  4. ++ killinchy ++ wrote:

    > I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours - the
    > machine was clean.
    >
    > Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
    > "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F Prot)
    > and it found 45 virusues.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Do you really mean 45 viruses or just 45 "infected" files, maybe most of
    them inside your IE cache?
    A good practice is to use firefox instead, after trashing the IE cache.
    Btw., there are javascripts that still can infect IE even if it's not used
    for browsing. Which makes the next windows update a new kind of
    adventure ;-/
    Alternative: use linux.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 18, 2005
  5. ++ killinchy ++

    neville Guest

    If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
    Simple.

    neville, Mar 18, 2005
  6. ++ killinchy ++

    Tibby Guest

    "neville" <> wrote in message
    > If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
    > Simple.
    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > > ++ killinchy ++ wrote:
    > >> I had AVG on my old computer and it did a virus scan every 24 hours -

    the
    > >> machine was clean.
    > >>
    > >> Then I gave it to my son who used "Shaw Secure" (Shaw is an ISP and
    > >> "Secure" is a firewall, pop up blocker and an anti virus program - F
    > >> Prot) and it found 45 virusues.
    > >>
    > >> Any comments?
    > >>
    > >> John

    > > Anyone who has 45+ viruses on his machine should seriously consider

    taking
    > > a computer course or two.

    Give it a rest Andrew...oops, sorry "neville"

    Tibby, Mar 18, 2005
  7. ++ killinchy ++

    °Mike° Guest

    That's not at all surprising, since AVG is a pile of poo.
    Although, as somebody else pointed out, I suspect that
    you mean 45 infected files, and not 45 separate viruses.

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:06:16 GMT, in
    <I3o_d.711451$8l.558465@pd7tw1no>
    ++ killinchy ++ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 18, 2005
  8. neville wrote:

    > If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
    > Simple.

    And a dangerous misbelief. How do you think, AOL can extract viruses out of
    ciphered or "specially packed" executables you download from wherever, even
    when using their maybe scanning proxy, or get via email, even through a
    scanning mailserver? How can they block a java applet which by itself is no
    virus at all, from downloading either good or bad stuff, but afterwards
    using a direct unmonitored port to do so? No, AOL cannot block everything
    but proxied connections, the customers would trash them for not allowing
    p2p and things like ssl.
    You try to fool people here, actually spreading one of the most hazardous
    viruses, called "gullibility virus". Or you are some employee of AOHell?
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Mar 18, 2005
  9. ++ killinchy ++

    DC Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > neville wrote:

    >> If you get AOL it stops viruses so you dont need to worry about it.
    >> Simple.

    > And a dangerous misbelief. How do you think, AOL can extract viruses out of
    > ciphered or "specially packed" executables you download from wherever, even
    > when using their maybe scanning proxy, or get via email, even through a
    > scanning mailserver? How can they block a java applet which by itself is no
    > virus at all, from downloading either good or bad stuff, but afterwards
    > using a direct unmonitored port to do so? No, AOL cannot block everything
    > but proxied connections, the customers would trash them for not allowing
    > p2p and things like ssl.
    > You try to fool people here, actually spreading one of the most hazardous
    > viruses, called "gullibility virus". Or you are some employee of AOHell?

    Spit the hook, Walter.

    DC, Mar 19, 2005
  10. ++ killinchy ++

    William Chia Guest

    You can try to boot your computer in safe mode and run a virus scan, this is
    because some virus are running the memory when you are scanning in Windows
    normal mode.

    William Chia, Mar 19, 2005
  11. Thanks - I'll check with my son. Perhaps he mistook 45 files for 45
    viruses.

    Why do you say that AVG is apile of poo

    John
    ==================================

    ++ killinchy ++, Mar 19, 2005
  12. ++ killinchy ++

    °Mike° Guest

    Because of all the antivirus programs that I have tested,
    with live viruses, AVG is amongst the worst at detection,
    deletion and false positives. IMO, the only good thing
    about it (AVG) is the price.

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:59:37 GMT, in
    <J%X_d.725361$8l.705047@pd7tw1no>
    ++ killinchy ++ scrawled:
    <snip>

    °Mike°, Mar 20, 2005
  13. ++ killinchy ++

    Lookout Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:45:11 +0000, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Because of all the antivirus programs that I have tested,
    >with live viruses, AVG is amongst the worst at detection,
    >deletion and false positives. IMO, the only good thing
    >about it (AVG) is the price.

    We've been using if for years without any infections. That means
    either it's working or we're the most fastidious net family around. We
    (me, wife and daughter) are all over IRC, newsgroups and Yahoo and not
    one virus. Now....we've never used AOL so...........

    Lookout, Mar 22, 2005