    viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
    healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and "Dumaru.z".
    How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

    John Davis, Mar 1, 2004

  2. "John Davis" <> wrote in message
    news:UpL0c.16013$...
    > Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
    > viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
    > healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

    "Dumaru.z".
    > How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

    Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these files
    anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

    eric the seal, Mar 1, 2004

  3. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
    <>
    eric the seal scrawled:

    >"John Davis" <> wrote in message
    >> Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
    >> viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
    >> healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

    >"Dumaru.z".
    >> How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.
    >>

    >Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these files
    >anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

    Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  4. John Davis

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:38:12 -0000, "John Davis" <>
    wrote:

    >Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
    >viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant be
    >healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and "Dumaru.z".
    >How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.

    See if AVG will scan in the safe mode. (Press F8 during startup)

    Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus software
    on it, and put your HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus software to
    clean it up.

    Anti-virus resources:
    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 36 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/MyDoom worm) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed
    on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Free online virus scanners:

    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlineviruscheck.html
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Anti-trojan software
    http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au

    Anti-virus software
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/
    http://www.tudogs.com/virus.php

    Information and links to Anti-Virus vendors, On-line Scanning sites,
    Removal Tools, latest threats, Freeware Page, newsletters, etc.

    http://virusall.com/sitemap.html

    On-Line Scanning page links:
    http://virusall.com/downscan.html

    Unk, Mar 1, 2004
  5. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
    > <>
    > eric the seal scrawled:
    >

    > >"John Davis" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can any one please help. I have just ran a virus scan using AVG, and 10
    > >> viruses were picked up. 7 were healed, but 3 remain, saying they cant

    be
    > >> healed. They are all "I Worms" they are "Bagle.e" "Dumaru.y" and

    > >"Dumaru.z".
    > >> How can these be removed? I am running XP Pro. Thanks.
    > >>

    > >Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these

    files
    > >anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

    > Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.

    Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
    my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
    from it.

    eric the seal, Mar 1, 2004
  6. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    AVG is crap. See further below for recommendations.

    Bagle.E
    http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=38437
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BAGLE.E

    Dumaru.Y
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_DUMARU.Y
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dumaru_y.shtml

    Dumaru.Z
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_DUMARU.Y
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dumaru_z.shtml

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See ****]
    http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp

    **** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:38:12 -0000, in
    <UpL0c.16013$>
    John Davis scrawled:

    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  7. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
    <>
    eric the seal scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:52:03 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> eric the seal scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"John Davis" <> wrote in message

    >be
    >> >"Dumaru.z".
    >> >>

    >> >Delete the files containing them - you probably have no use for these

    >files
    >> >anyhow. Amputation rather than healing!

    >> Are you really this dumb? You're beginning to sound like Bullis.
    >>

    >Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
    >my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
    >from it.

    Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
    probably have no use for these files anyhow."

    Now THINK about what you said.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  8. John Davis

    Unknown Guest

    Better than that, why don't you figure out how you got the viruses and
    eliminate the cause?

    Unknown, Mar 1, 2004
  9. John Davis

    Brian H¹© Guest

    eric the seal said:

    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> eric the seal scrawled:
    >>

    >>> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not knowing Bullis, I can't say. But, if you would care to elucidate on why
    >>> my proposed solution was dumb, I would gladly accept the criticism and learn
    >>> from it.

    >> Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
    >> probably have no use for these files anyhow."
    >>
    >> Now THINK about what you said.
    >>

    > Lets take the case that the machine is not actually infected but has files,
    > say unsolicited emails or transfers, containing these viruses. AVG would
    > detect them and report them. Deleting these files would remove the problem
    > and a further AVG scan would be clear. That has been the most common
    > situation I have encountered where the number of infected files has been low
    > (in this case 3). Where the machine has actually been infected the count has
    > been much, much higher, although this obviously varies with the virus/trojan
    > concerned. If the next AVG scan is not clear then other measures will need
    > to be taken.
    >
    > I realise I am only going by experience rather than hard fact, hence I am
    > more than prepared to learn from this.

    If the machine has detected files containing a virus then it *is* "actually
    infected", is it not?

    Brian H¹©, Mar 1, 2004

    eric the seal, Mar 1, 2004
  11. "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > eric the seal said:
    >
    > > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:33:22 -0000, in
    > >> <>
    > >> eric the seal scrawled:

    and 10

    cant be

    these

    on why

    learn

    > >> Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
    > >> probably have no use for these files anyhow."
    > >>
    > >> Now THINK about what you said.
    > >>

    > > Lets take the case that the machine is not actually infected but has

    files,
    > > say unsolicited emails or transfers, containing these viruses. AVG would
    > > detect them and report them. Deleting these files would remove the

    problem
    > > and a further AVG scan would be clear. That has been the most common
    > > situation I have encountered where the number of infected files has been

    low
    > > (in this case 3). Where the machine has actually been infected the count

    has
    > > been much, much higher, although this obviously varies with the

    virus/trojan
    > > concerned. If the next AVG scan is not clear then other measures will

    need
    > > to be taken.
    > >
    > > I realise I am only going by experience rather than hard fact, hence I

    am
    > > more than prepared to learn from this.

    > If the machine has detected files containing a virus then it *is*

    "actually
    > infected", is it not?

    If I have a vial of smallpox in my pocket, am I infected? If the file
    containing the virus has not been accessed, to my view the file alone is
    infected; the computer is compromised and is potentially infected.

    eric the seal, Mar 1, 2004
  12. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:12:42 -0000, in
    <>
    eric the seal scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Read your advice again. "Delete the files containing them - you
    >> probably have no use for these files anyhow."
    >>
    >> Now THINK about what you said.
    >>

    >Lets take the case that the machine is not actually infected

    No, lets not, because it IS.

    >but has files, say unsolicited emails or transfers, containing these
    >viruses. AVG would detect them and report them.

    AVG is a pile of crap. The only redeeming feature is the price.

    >Deleting these files would remove the problem

    You don't have much experience with viruses, I take it? What
    makes you think that "the files" are not infected system files,
    or that they are 'in use'?

    >and a further AVG scan would be clear.

    Or the system may not work, if files are just deleted, willy
    nilly, without regard to what they actually are.

    >That has been the most common situation I have encountered

    As I said, not much experience with viruses.

    >where the number of infected files has been low (in this case 3).
    > Where the machine has actually been infected the count has
    >been much, much higher, although this obviously varies with the virus/trojan
    >concerned. If the next AVG scan is not clear then other measures will need
    >to be taken.

    Rubbish. And WHAT "other measures"? You didn't give
    any other measures!

    >I realise I am only going by experience rather than hard fact, hence I am
    >more than prepared to learn from this.

    See my earlier comments.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  13. John Davis

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:26:08 -0000, in
    <>
    eric the seal scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Mar 1, 2004
  14. John Davis

    rickAnthony Guest

    Symantec (www.symantec.com) has removal tools out there on their website for
    removal of dumaru etc.

    rickAnthony, Mar 2, 2004
  15. Howdy!

    > If the machine has detected files containing a virus then it *is*

    "actually
    > infected", is it not?

    Err - no.

    To recap - if the AV is doing its job, even if the file comes in, it
    will be shrouded and quarantined or even deleted. The notice will be that
    the AV did its job.

    And, yes, running mail servers I quite often get "infected" files
    that don't infect the server itself.

    Rather like Eric's "If I carry a container of smallpox in my back
    pocket, does that mean I'm infected?" simile.

    AND - for those worms - Yah, there ARE no "infected" files, but
    "carrier" and "dropper" files. For those - Eric's advice is actually pretty
    good.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Mar 4, 2004
  16. Howdy!

    "Unk" <> wrote in message

    > Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus

    software
    > on it, and put your HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus software

    > clean it up.

    This is probably the best way, and the way I relieve NETSKY from a
    couple of machines from a customer.

    In defense of that customer - they were expecting PDFs from the guys
    that the virus claimed it was from. And being early in the morning, didn't
    notice that PDF <> PIF ...

    And only two machines. I'm actually pretty proud of them <B-)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Mar 4, 2004
  17. "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Unk" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus

    > software
    > > on it, and put your HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus

    software
    > > clean it up.

    > This is probably the best way, and the way I relieve NETSKY from a
    > couple of machines from a customer.
    >
    > In defense of that customer - they were expecting PDFs from the

    guys
    > that the virus claimed it was from. And being early in the morning,

    didn't
    > notice that PDF <> PIF ...
    >
    > And only two machines. I'm actually pretty proud of them <B-)
    >
    > RwP

    Boy, am I glad someone ELSE does it that way too! After discussing this
    exact worm infection with another "tech", they kinda laughed and said I "did
    it the hard way". But it worked...perfectly...first time.

    Tim

    Tim-n-Puppies, Mar 5, 2004