    Microsoft but no attachment as stated.
    Anyone any suggestions please

    Geoff

    Geoff/Elaine, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Geoff/Elaine

    Stevo Guest

    Geoff/Elaine wrote:
    > My Norton Antivirus tells me I have this virus and it cannot delete
    > it! I have paid for Norton and it seems helpless to destroy the
    > viruses. It has asked to quarantine them which I have allowed. Do I
    > need to do anything else?
    > This has only happened since I switched to blueyonders one dial up
    > number (since which takes ages to get on line and also received
    > e-mailupdates from Microsoft but no attachment as stated.
    > Anyone any suggestions please
    >

    > Geoff

    Worm.Automat.AHB is another identifier for the SWEN virus

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    Symanted have an automated procedure for identifying submitted suspicious
    code, these tend to get give a name with automat forming part and a suffix
    that identifies the actual threat.

    Download and install the latest virus definitions manually from :

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

    If you rely on Live Update, be aware that the definitions there might only
    be updated weekly..

    Do a full system scan just in case but you should be OK...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Geoff/Elaine

    Jim Guest

    "Geoff/Elaine" <> wrote:

    >(since which takes ages to get on line and also received e-mailupdates from
    >Microsoft but no attachment as stated.
    >Anyone any suggestions please

    Don't take anything at face value. Microsoft NEVER send
    attachments by email - I've just had EIGHTY emails this
    morning pretending to be from MS - all nasty little buggers
    out to cause me problems and delivered straight to the bin.

    Jim, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Geoff/Elaine

    Stevo Guest

    Stevo wrote:
    > Geoff/Elaine wrote:
    >> My Norton Antivirus tells me I have this virus and it cannot delete
    >> it! I have paid for Norton and it seems helpless to destroy the
    >> viruses. It has asked to quarantine them which I have allowed. Do I
    >> need to do anything else?
    >> This has only happened since I switched to blueyonders one dial up
    >> number (since which takes ages to get on line and also received
    >> e-mailupdates from Microsoft but no attachment as stated.
    >> Anyone any suggestions please
    >>

    >> Geoff

    > Worm.Automat.AHB is another identifier for the SWEN virus
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    >
    > Symanted have an automated procedure for identifying submitted
    > suspicious code, these tend to get give a name with automat forming
    > part and a suffix that identifies the actual threat.
    >
    > Download and install the latest virus definitions manually from :
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html
    >
    > If you rely on Live Update, be aware that the definitions there might
    > only be updated weekly..
    >
    > Do a full system scan just in case but you should be OK...

    Whoops.. I should have added that you can go into Quarantine in NAV and
    delete the files stored there..

    Stevo, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Geoff/Elaine

    Micha Guest

    The reason, why any antivirus software can't repair:

    1.) The original file is destroyed/overwritten from the virus
    2.) The file is in use
    3.) There is no original file, the virus self is the *NEW* file

    But there is no problem. If Norton has moved the file to the quarantine
    section, the file is not longer available. The reason, why Noton do so and
    don"t delete the file: If your system will not be work without this file you
    can restore it. If you see that the system works fine, you can delete the
    virus from quarantine.

    Micha
    NEDSurf
    Het Surfnet van Nederland
    http://www.nedsurf.nl
    http://www.callunapark.nl

    "Geoff/Elaine" <> schreef in bericht
    > My Norton Antivirus tells me I have this virus and it cannot delete it! I
    > have paid for Norton and it seems helpless to destroy the viruses. It has
    > asked to quarantine them which I have allowed. Do I need to do anything
    > else?
    > This has only happened since I switched to blueyonders one dial up number
    > (since which takes ages to get on line and also received e-mailupdates

    from
    > Microsoft but no attachment as stated.
    > Anyone any suggestions please
    >

    > Geoff