Viruses are hidding via Sony's rootkit

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pat, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Pat

    LanceR Guest

    LanceR, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Pat

    Dave Guest

    Dave, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Pat

    LanceR Guest

    LanceR, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Pat

    ellis_jay Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > It seems three viruses are using Sony's rootkit "XCP" to hid
    > themselves.

    Thanx Pat.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

    http://www.sysinternals.com/blog

    Ellis_jay
    ellis_jay, Nov 12, 2005
  6. Pat

    JPB Guest

    JPB, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Pat

    Plato Guest

    JPB wrote:

    > Use Linux or Macintosh then. They exist for good reasons.

    That's like saying my Chevy is broke, so use an MGB.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 12, 2005
  8. JPB wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >

    >>It seems three viruses are using Sony's rootkit "XCP" to hid themselves.
    >>
    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4430608.stm
    >>

    > Use Linux or Macintosh then. They exist for good reasons.
    >
    > Sorted.

    From what I've read Apple is starting to side with the music/movie
    companies and will be adding support for their copy protection schemes
    when the move to Intel chips is completed.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005
  9. Pat

    JPB Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > JPB wrote:
    >>
    >> Use Linux or Macintosh then. They exist for good reasons.

    > That's like saying my Chevy is broke, so use an MGB.

    It would be like having a Chevy that ships with a CD system that operates
    DRM protection by altering what's in the engine management system black
    box, without your knowledge or consent.

    If your Chevy ships with serious design flaws like that, or without decent
    locks for exanple (effective locks being a possibly expensive third=party
    addon) then perhaps you should consider an alternative!

    Disclaimer: I have no idea about Chevys and little about MGBs!

    --
    JPB
    JPB, Nov 13, 2005
  10. Pat

    JPB Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > JPB wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>

    >>>It seems three viruses are using Sony's rootkit "XCP" to hid themselves.
    >>>
    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4430608.stm
    >>>

    >> Use Linux or Macintosh then. They exist for good reasons.
    >>
    >> Sorted.

    > From what I've read Apple is starting to side with the music/movie
    > companies and will be adding support for their copy protection schemes
    > when the move to Intel chips is completed.

    So far, and in this particular case, Mac OS is a better/safe enough
    alternative to Windows, and people can easily buy it pre-installed ready to
    go. It's always possible, however, that a closed/proprietary setup like
    Apple might "go native" as it were, and start supping with the devil in the
    form of the media outfits..

    That's why as a first choice I wouldn't really recommend Apple for anyone,
    but rather Linux - as that has reached a point where it's really not very
    difficult for anyone, as well as being cheaper. So now I only recommend
    Apple if someone really can't be bothered and doesn't mind spending a few
    bob, and I *never* recommend Microsoft software.

    The nature of Linux is such that it should always remain copy-protection
    unfriendly, and so far we have a fairly decent record of maintaining
    fair-use capabilities whatever the media company clowns try and pull. The
    only thing I can imagine that could be done to stop it would be to make
    using Linux illegal to use, or at least illegal in private hands, but ISTM
    usage is already too widely spread for that to be an option, and it's
    waxing rather than waning.

    They might try for making "circumventing copy-protection measures" illegal,
    and fly the argument that sneaky things like using a sane OS to enjoy the
    content you purchase comes under that - we've seen laws in some
    jurisdictions heading down that route. The test cases should be
    interesting, as there are coming battles to be fought over it, but I see no
    reason why we should not win the overall war on copy-protection laws like
    that.

    Unforced errors like the brain-dead Sony root-kit assist our cause greatly,
    as avoiding it or removing it could be regarded as circumventing it or
    breaking the EULA, and is exactly what's needed to illustrate the point
    that operating your own hardware and software as *you* choose is an
    essential freedom, just like more basic freedoms fought for a century or
    more again.

    --
    JPB
    JPB, Nov 13, 2005
  11. Howdy!

    "LanceR" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave" <> wrote message
    >
    > > Post links that work

    > >> The fix
    > >> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/securi
    > >> tyris k.first4drm.html

    > Works fine

    Not as posted - your news client wrapped that long line.

    Plus, with the embedded space, it's a no-go.

    But for others, the link is:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/securityrisk.first4drm.html

    Or, if your CLIENT is b0rked...

    http://snipurl.com/jro0