    unwelcome noise and then proceded to the underground hotel. My
    question is, can a virus kill a HD?

    Gary

    Gary, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Gary

    dave Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > I was loading Spybot 1.3 on a PC when the HD crashed. It made some
    > unwelcome noise and then proceded to the underground hotel. My
    > question is, can a virus kill a HD?
    >
    > Gary

    Yes, there are virus' that were created for MSDOS
    some time ago that could destroy the FAT and
    make the Hard Drive unusable, completely unstable,
    and unfortunatly unrecoverable.

    FACT: those viruses were created in the late 1980's,
    early 1990's, and at that time, they were known
    as BOOT SECTOR VIRUSES. I would visit the NORTON's
    site and look up their database, or go to a security
    site or anti-viral site that has an online database
    that you can look up...

    Are there any today? Possibly...

    Better to re-format, if your really worried, and
    start fresh again, and use your Ghost image...

    Good luck.

    [ I gave up on Win-blows, and switched to Linux
    all the way. Although Win-products are cheaper,
    I found out I paid less in the long run. ]

    dave, Jun 29, 2004

  3. On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:16:50 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary wrote:
    >> > I was loading Spybot 1.3 on a PC when the HD crashed. It made some
    >> > unwelcome noise and then proceded to the underground hotel. My
    >> > question is, can a virus kill a HD?
    >> >
    >> > Gary

    >> Yes, there are virus' that were created for MSDOS
    >> some time ago that could destroy the FAT and
    >> make the Hard Drive unusable, completely unstable,
    >> and unfortunatly unrecoverable.
    >>
    >> FACT: those viruses were created in the late 1980's,
    >> early 1990's, and at that time, they were known
    >> as BOOT SECTOR VIRUSES. I would visit the NORTON's
    >> site and look up their database, or go to a security
    >> site or anti-viral site that has an online database
    >> that you can look up...
    >>
    >> Are there any today? Possibly...
    >>
    >> Better to re-format, if your really worried, and
    >> start fresh again, and use your Ghost image...
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> [ I gave up on Win-blows, and switched to Linux
    >> all the way. Although Win-products are cheaper,
    >> I found out I paid less in the long run. ]
    >>

    >Um..nope. There is not now nor has there been any virus that physically
    >damages any hardware. Boot sector viruses do not cause physical damage.

    I heard rumours years ago of a virus that could throw off monitor
    settings, putting the monitor in a situation where it would lose sync,
    and if this happened, it could kill the HOT, and possibly some PS
    parts (This being before monitors would automatically power down with
    loss of sync). I never saw it in action, if it existed.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 29, 2004
  4. On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:45:50 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:16:50 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> I heard rumours years ago of a virus that could throw off monitor
    >> settings, putting the monitor in a situation where it would lose sync,
    >> and if this happened, it could kill the HOT, and possibly some PS
    >> parts (This being before monitors would automatically power down with
    >> loss of sync). I never saw it in action, if it existed.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >So have I, you'll hear that whenever virus and hardware are mentioned.
    >Rumours is all it is. Then you'll hear someone mention cmos killers, but
    >that isn't hardware damage.

    Did Chernoble get the CMOS or flash BIOS? I remember one person I knew
    was faced with Chernoble in a friend's computer, and it turned out to
    be a chore to fix it. Is a simple BIOS flash enough if the virus is
    still present? I'd think there'd be more to it than that.

    Found this...interesting. Note the similarity to your nym. :)

    http://www.techimo.com/forum/t9896.html

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 30, 2004