Virus?????

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Protagonist, May 12, 2006.

  1. Protagonist

    Protagonist Guest

    No matter how much space i free up on C-drive\, after a few days I get a
    pop-up Low space on C drive.
    "C:\Documents and Settings" folder is over 4 gig, when a week ago
    deleted 2 gig of file there. Found a Watson text file was some 2 gig size.
    Now I'm getting the Low disk space on C pop-up again. Shows 2 meg FREE on C.
    I click on each directory in doc and settings directory, but don't add
    up to 4 gig , I don't see what makes it 4 gig size.
    Intresting thing happend a few weeks ago, Limewire had my shared folder
    set to C;| document and settings, when I never set that foder for share.
    Changed it, than when later rebooted my PC and started Limewire, it was
    there again as a shared folder.
    Changed it back a few times reboot, did it again.
    I just un-installed Limewire, but my Document and setting folder getting
    big and I don't know why?. Hidden file, bad reporting of disk space or
    VIRUS DOES THIS?
    Strange, don't know what to delet any more. Also, some of my programs
    don't work any more.
    Any ideas?
    Thx, JS!
    WinXP

    Protagonist, May 12, 2006

  2. Protagonist

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Protagonist wrote:
    > No matter how much space i free up on C-drive\, after a few days I get a
    > pop-up Low space on C drive.
    > "C:\Documents and Settings" folder is over 4 gig, when a week ago
    > deleted 2 gig of file there. Found a Watson text file was some 2 gig size.
    > Now I'm getting the Low disk space on C pop-up again. Shows 2 meg FREE
    > on C.
    > I click on each directory in doc and settings directory, but don't add
    > up to 4 gig , I don't see what makes it 4 gig size.
    > Intresting thing happend a few weeks ago, Limewire had my shared folder
    > set to C;| document and settings, when I never set that foder for share.
    > Changed it, than when later rebooted my PC and started Limewire, it was
    > there again as a shared folder.
    > Changed it back a few times reboot, did it again.

    > I just un-installed Limewire, but my Document and setting folder getting
    > big and I don't know why?. Hidden file, bad reporting of disk space or
    > VIRUS DOES THIS?

    That's the danger of opening the machine to the public like that on some
    kind of file sharing P2P.

    > Strange, don't know what to delet any more. Also, some of my programs
    > don't work any more.

    It sounds like malware has compromised the machine and has taken them out.

    > Any ideas?

    You can post to an AV NG and see if they can help you.

    It may comedown to you having to wipe the machine out.

    Practice safehex

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    You should try to secure or harden the XP O/S to attack, like remove MS
    File & Print Sharing and Client for MS Networks off the NIC (Network
    Interface Card) for a machine that has a direct connection to the Internet.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    You may want to stay off the P2P's

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 12, 2006