    Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and re-install
    Win XP if I don't have to.

    Thanks.

    Peter Maurice Cram, May 7, 2004

  2. Peter Maurice Cram

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in
    news:aqEmc.396367$oR5.359044@pd7tw3no:

    > Hi, I was just wondering what was the best way to remove a virus from
    > a friends computer. He thinks its FireDaemon.exe, but I don't know if
    > that's it or not. I tried to scan his computer with his virus program
    > (Norton 2002) but it won't initialize. I know some viruses won't allow
    > a virus scanner to start-up. So you see my problem.
    > I believe he has a virus, I just don't know which one and how to get
    > rid of
    > it.
    > I was thinking about updating his virus program to Norton 2004, but
    > if the
    > virus won't allow the virus program to start up, well you can see the
    > problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and
    > re-install Win XP if I don't have to.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You can try Trend Micro House Calls -- online Internet scanner. It may
    detect it. It could also be killed by the malware too.

    Also, you can use Process Explorer (free download) to examine processes
    running on the machine and also look inside the processes to review what
    processes/programs are using them. That may help you pin point the nasty
    that's causing the problem.

    I dumped Norton long ago for NOD32 and don't have any problems. Norton is
    scheduled to run once a week on my work machine and it takes about 2
    hours to run that I know NOD32 can do on a *Deep Scan* in about a forth
    of the time.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 7, 2004

  3. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi, I was just wondering what was the best way to remove a virus from
    > > a friends computer. He thinks its FireDaemon.exe, but I don't know if
    > > that's it or not. I tried to scan his computer with his virus program
    > > (Norton 2002) but it won't initialize. I know some viruses won't allow
    > > a virus scanner to start-up. So you see my problem.
    > > I believe he has a virus, I just don't know which one and how to get
    > > rid of
    > > it.
    > > I was thinking about updating his virus program to Norton 2004, but
    > > if the
    > > virus won't allow the virus program to start up, well you can see the
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and
    > > re-install Win XP if I don't have to.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Give stinger a go its a stand alone virus checker that checks for a restricted number of virus's and
    should get around the non initialise stuff as its not integrated into the system.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Mr Cellophane, May 7, 2004
  4. Peter Maurice Cram

    Thor Guest

    "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I was just wondering what was the best way to remove a virus from a
    > friends computer. He thinks its FireDaemon.exe, but I don't know if

    that's
    > it or not. I tried to scan his computer with his virus program (Norton

    2002)
    > but it won't initialize. I know some viruses won't allow a virus scanner

    > start-up. So you see my problem.
    > I believe he has a virus, I just don't know which one and how to get rid

    of
    > it.
    > I was thinking about updating his virus program to Norton 2004, but if

    the
    > virus won't allow the virus program to start up, well you can see the
    > problem.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and

    re-install
    > Win XP if I don't have to.

    There are a number of options. First, and easiest, you could simply try
    running system restore, and roll it back to a date prior to getting the
    virus, if he knows roughly when that was. Then, when the system boots
    without a virus active in memory, Norton may run, and then you can update
    it, and scan the harddrive. Secondly, you can look for virus removal tools
    that target a specific infection. Norton's website has many for the most
    common viruses. Mcafee also has their "stinger" tool that covers many common
    viruses.

    Thor, May 7, 2004
  5. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi, I was just wondering what was the best way to remove a virus from
    > > a friends computer. He thinks its FireDaemon.exe, but I don't know if
    > > that's it or not. I tried to scan his computer with his virus program
    > > (Norton 2002) but it won't initialize. I know some viruses won't allow
    > > a virus scanner to start-up. So you see my problem.
    > > I believe he has a virus, I just don't know which one and how to get
    > > rid of
    > > it.
    > > I was thinking about updating his virus program to Norton 2004, but
    > > if the
    > > virus won't allow the virus program to start up, well you can see the
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and
    > > re-install Win XP if I don't have to.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > You can try Trend Micro House Calls -- online Internet scanner. It may
    > detect it. It could also be killed by the malware too.
    >
    > Also, you can use Process Explorer (free download) to examine processes
    > running on the machine and also look inside the processes to review what
    > processes/programs are using them. That may help you pin point the nasty
    > that's causing the problem.
    >
    > I dumped Norton long ago for NOD32 and don't have any problems. Norton is
    > scheduled to run once a week on my work machine and it takes about 2
    > hours to run that I know NOD32 can do on a *Deep Scan* in about a forth
    > of the time.
    >
    > Duane :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks Duane. I have no problem with Norton anti- virus protecting my
    computer though if there is a better anti-virus program then I will look
    into it.
    I was thinking of using Symantec's on-line virus scanner if that doesn't
    work, then I will look into Trend Micro House Calls - Online Scanner and the
    Process Explorer. Thanks again, but I have the feeling I will be formatting
    and re-installing Win XP. :{

    Peter Maurice Cram, May 8, 2004
  6. "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Maurice Cram" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I was just wondering what was the best way to remove a virus from a
    > > friends computer. He thinks its FireDaemon.exe, but I don't know if

    > that's
    > > it or not. I tried to scan his computer with his virus program (Norton

    > 2002)
    > > but it won't initialize. I know some viruses won't allow a virus scanner

    > > start-up. So you see my problem.
    > > I believe he has a virus, I just don't know which one and how to get

    rid
    > of
    > > it.
    > > I was thinking about updating his virus program to Norton 2004, but if

    > the
    > > virus won't allow the virus program to start up, well you can see the
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to format and

    > re-install
    > > Win XP if I don't have to.

    > There are a number of options. First, and easiest, you could simply try
    > running system restore, and roll it back to a date prior to getting the
    > virus, if he knows roughly when that was. Then, when the system boots
    > without a virus active in memory, Norton may run, and then you can update
    > it, and scan the harddrive. Secondly, you can look for virus removal tools
    > that target a specific infection. Norton's website has many for the most
    > common viruses. Mcafee also has their "stinger" tool that covers many

    common
    > viruses.

    Thanks Thor! I never thought of that and that probably will work! :)

    Peter Maurice Cram, May 8, 2004