    reinstall disk that came with the PC.

    Any help or ideas appreciated.

    Paul
    D'Olier, Feb 20, 2004

  2. D'Olier

    Robert Baer Guest

    D'Olier wrote:

    > I had a virus or two on my PC last September and removed them. However,
    > since then, my PC has never been the same. It often hangs and I often have
    > problems where typing letters transforms them into control characters.
    > Overall, I'm able to get by but it's getting more and more frustrating.
    > There are other minor annoyances that crop up almost daily.
    >
    > This may sound like I have another virus but it seems more like some
    > activity has left my PC in a jaded state. Should I just format the C drive
    > and reinstall everything? I have Win 98. I would assume I could use the
    > reinstall disk that came with the PC.
    >
    > Any help or ideas appreciated.
    >
    > Paul

    Get a good virus checker and make it scan all files (not just EXE and
    other executable types).
    If that does not help, i wipe the drive (use a utility for that), and
    re-install everything.
    After all the programs are re-installed, then i copy my personal data
    files fom my backup hard drive.
    You *do* backup, don't you?
    Robert Baer, Feb 20, 2004

  3. D'Olier

    D'Olier Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > D'Olier wrote:
    > >
    > > I had a virus or two on my PC last September and removed them. However,
    > > since then, my PC has never been the same. It often hangs and I often

    have
    > > problems where typing letters transforms them into control characters.
    > > Overall, I'm able to get by but it's getting more and more frustrating.
    > > There are other minor annoyances that crop up almost daily.
    > >
    > > This may sound like I have another virus but it seems more like some
    > > activity has left my PC in a jaded state. Should I just format the C

    drive
    > > and reinstall everything? I have Win 98. I would assume I could use

    the
    > > reinstall disk that came with the PC.
    > >
    > > Any help or ideas appreciated.
    > >
    > > Paul

    > Get a good virus checker and make it scan all files (not just EXE and
    > other executable types).
    > If that does not help, i wipe the drive (use a utility for that), and
    > re-install everything.
    > After all the programs are re-installed, then i copy my personal data
    > files fom my backup hard drive.
    > You *do* backup, don't you?

    Oh yes; yes I do!!
    D'Olier, Feb 21, 2004