    email. Does somebody have a solution that I can give him over the
    phone? He is 1500 miles away. We would appreciate any help.
    Ed

    Easy, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Easy

    Pepperoni Guest

    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99728

    (check "aliases" at bottom of page)

    It's nasty. He may also be having problems with his printer being sent big
    print jobs. It disables most AV programs; see description.

    Removal tool:
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?path=/virusInfo/virusRemoval/bugbear.asp

    Stinger virus removal tool:
    http://antivirus.about.com/cs/evaluations/a/stinger.htm

    What is Bugbear?

    The Bugbear virus attempts to stop several services that are running on the
    infected computer, including those that are used by McAfee VirusScan and
    Norton AntiVirus as well as other anti-virus and firewall products. Windows
    services are individual processes that might be running in Windows, and
    these are not visible to the end user. Bugbear has the ability to spoof, or
    forge, the From: field (often set to an address found on the victim's
    machine). The virus can also use a fabricated sender address, by taking the
    name before the "@" sign of one address, and the domain name after the "@"
    sign of another address (for example: +
    = ).

    This worm e-mails itself to addresses found on the local system. The virus
    code contains e-mail subject strings and attachment names. A high
    probability exists that the virus will use words and filenames contained on
    the infected system. This virus can find a network printer and send a print
    job to it that contains over 600 pages of garbage. The virus payload is in
    turn another virus called PWS-Hooker.dll (an alias of W32/BadTrans@MM),
    which is a worm that loads a Trojan horse upon system startup. The trojan
    contains a keylogger program capable of capturing other vital information
    such as credit card and bank account numbers and passwords.

    Pepperoni, Nov 20, 2003