Virus worms

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by B.W., Mar 25, 2007.

  1. B.W.

    B.W. Guest

    Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
    Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in Sys
    Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V
    product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled the
    commercial programme before installing the free one.

    No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
    quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.

    There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to
    stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question
    is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being transferred
    over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since checked my desktop
    with an online checker and advised it is clean. I have a Broadband Modem
    and a separate Router.

    I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
    significant?

    TIA

    B.W.

    B.W., Mar 25, 2007

  2. B.W.

    BruceM Guest

    Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
    I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
    I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
    Next time give more details?

    BruceM, Mar 25, 2007

  3. B.W.

    B.W. Guest

    The programme the virus was in was called Burn4Free, I don't even remember
    downloading it and why, it must have been some time ago.
    Yes it was Norton's that didn't detect anything, I also check for spyware
    every week.

    The reason I posted to this group however is that there was a warning saying
    if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to stop the virus being passed
    on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question is, as my network is
    wireless is the threat of anything being transferred over as great or is it
    exactly the same? In the future if I should be unfortunate again to get
    another virus/worm is there a procedure to protect my other PC that I should
    follow regarding this?

    I am sorry if I can't explain very well but being new to networking I am not
    sure of the terms or procedures etc. I am connected to my desktop via a
    wired Broadband Modem to a phone line and a separate Router is connected to
    it.

    Thanks for all your help

    B.W.

    B.W., Mar 25, 2007
  4. B.W.

    B.W. Guest

    Thanks Jack, yes I have already done as you suggested, many thanks for the
    link to the website, I will read it and probably print it for future
    reference.

    B.W.

    B.W., Mar 26, 2007
  5. Hi