Virus Woes

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by BaldEagle, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. BaldEagle

    BaldEagle Guest

    A friend's computer that I built recently has been plagued with Virus
    problems, the most prevelant being W32.randex. I dropped over to his
    place last weekend and when his machine booted up Norton reported
    numberous (8-10) instances of this Randex virus. I cleaned it up and
    it seemed to be working fine when I left.

    He phoned again last night to say he was having the same problem all
    over again only this time Norton was detecting W32.hllw.moega as well.

    I have had my computer report blocking the occasional virus but his
    was reporting in the order of 10 time right at boot up. Bizzare in my
    experience!!

    I am boggled as to why he is having this problem. Does anyone have
    any ideas where this comes from? He mostly downloads mp3 files thru
    the newsgroups (alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.jazz) although I'm sure he
    must be doing something else he doesn't know what it would be.

    His Norton files are up to date so at least in theory there should not
    be anything on his computer except that somewhere, on bootup, it is
    trying to install/download these infected files.

    Thanks for any input.

    Ken

    BaldEagle, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Dear Bald Eagle,

    I unfortunately made the mistake of posting to a newsgroup last month for
    the first time.
    Since then my e-mail has been inundated with an average of 8 - 12 virus
    infected e-mails
    a day. I had no idea newsgroups had become virus wastelands. I know now that
    there
    are various bots and spamming programs that harvest e-mails from postings
    via your
    newsgroup server and so I understand where all the junk e-mail is coming
    from. I don't
    know, however, why your friend gets so many viruses just from booting up his
    machine.

    All I can suggest is thoroughly disinfecting the PC with the latest
    definitions and having your
    friend change his e-mail address then download his mp3s from elsewhere. I
    also set my
    Norton Antivirus to quarantine the viruses so I could quickly dispose of
    them without
    a hassle. Lastly I would suggest making a rescue disk with the antivirus
    program and booting
    to it to see whether or not his boot sector or other memory areas has been
    infected.

    Good luck.

    --
    David Bland

    David BlandIII, Feb 8, 2004

  3. BaldEagle

    Phenux Guest

    In the worst case scenario I would suggest you format the hard drive and
    reinstall the OS. I hope u have a clean backup of your data. At this point
    even if you try to back up your data you run the risk of backing up the
    virus. Good luck.

    Phenux, Feb 8, 2004
  4. BaldEagle

    RussS Guest

    I suggest that you actually remove the program that is loading the virus.
    Chances are there is something in the registry that runs and then propogates
    the machine with further virus. Do a search for that virus an see what the
    recommended steps are for manual removal - chances are there will be a key
    in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run that loads it.

    RussS, Feb 8, 2004
  5. BaldEagle

    BaldEagle Guest

    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

    I am going to go over right now and see what I can do. I expect that
    I will have to reformat and try again. The problem may stem from the
    fact that I imported his mail messages from a backup cd I made before
    redoing his machine. I assumed that Norton would scan and catch
    anything that I uploaded if it had a virus, but perhaps not..

    Ken

    BaldEagle, Feb 9, 2004
  6. BaldEagle

    dave Guest

    BaldEagle wrote:
    > Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    >
    > I am going to go over right now and see what I can do. I expect that
    > I will have to reformat and try again. The problem may stem from the
    > fact that I imported his mail messages from a backup cd I made before
    > redoing his machine. I assumed that Norton would scan and catch
    > anything that I uploaded if it had a virus, but perhaps not..
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:52:51 +1300, "RussS" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I suggest that you actually remove the program that is loading the virus.
    >>Chances are there is something in the registry that runs and then propogates
    >>the machine with further virus. Do a search for that virus an see what the
    >>recommended steps are for manual removal - chances are there will be a key
    >>in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run that loads it.

    If it doesn't work, then download the knoppix disk, fdisk,
    blow out the partitions, then format the drive as ext2,
    then re-install windows.

    The only way to be sure is to use a different OS, that may not be
    infected by a WIN-Virus...

    Good luck.

    dave, Feb 10, 2004