VIrus warning, genuine!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Kenny, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Have been getting many e-mails this last week or so with the following text,
    supposedly from

    and "your account" in the subject line.
    I do have a LineOne account. There's an attachment named
    "message.zip"(19KB) which contains what appears to be a blank HTML page, it
    comes up clean in Norton scan and passes incoming mail scan. This is a
    recent virus, look here:
    http://www.datafellows.fi/v-descs/mimail.shtml
    Watch out for it and update your anti-virus, which I intend to do right now.

    "Hello there,

    I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
    email address. This email address will be expiring.
    Please read attachment for details.

    ---
    Best regards, Administrator
    oskoaoaa"

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Scanned attachment again after updating Norton and it's infected with
    W32.Mimail@mm virus.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Kenny

    TEQ Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Scanned attachment again after updating Norton and it's infected with
    > W32.Mimail@mm virus.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny

    No Shit?!!

    TEQ, Aug 9, 2003
  4. Kenny

    DC Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Have been getting many e-mails this last week or so with the following
    > text, supposedly from
    >
    > and "your account" in the subject line.

    [snip]

    This has been in the news for almost a week. But thanks, just the same.

    --
    DC

    When Microsoft starts making something that doesn't suck, it'll probably be
    a vacuum cleaner. -- PhotoMan

    DC, Aug 9, 2003
  5. David H. Lipman, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Kenny

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/ and download the fix for it.
    This thing is mean
    and nasty. Get it off your system ASAP. There are complete instructions at
    Symantec.
    DC

    Computer Guy, Aug 9, 2003
  7. TEQ wrote:

    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >> Scanned attachment again after updating Norton and it's infected with
    >> W32.Mimail@mm virus.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Kenny
    >>

    > No Shit?!!

    SBCGlobal sent out an email warning about this one. That is the first email
    I've received from them about a virus in the 9 months I've had their
    service.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 9, 2003
  8. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Have been getting many e-mails this last week or so with the following text,
    > supposedly from
    >
    > and "your account" in the subject line.
    > I do have a LineOne account. There's an attachment named
    > "message.zip"(19KB) which contains what appears to be a blank HTML page, it
    > comes up clean in Norton scan and passes incoming mail scan. This is a

    Please explain in _extreme_ detail why you would even bother to try to
    acquire a new virus by opening up such an obvious nasty??????

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 9, 2003
  9. Kenny

    Ed Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:11:56 -0400, "Tina - AffordableHOST.com"
    <> wrote:

    >Why not just use common sense and not open attachments, unless you know what
    >it is and who sent it to you?
    >
    >--Tina

    No adventure for some folks I suppose. ;p
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 9, 2003
  10. Kenny

    spqr Guest

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:45:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    > Have been getting many e-mails this last week or so with the following text,
    > supposedly from

    <snip>
    Snigger. Point this bloke to a parked car and tell him to chase it.

    spqr, Aug 9, 2003
  11. On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 14:52:33 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 23:45:28 +0100, "Kenny" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Have been getting many e-mails this last week or so with the following text,
    >>supposedly from
    >>
    >>and "your account" in the subject line.
    >>I do have a LineOne account. There's an attachment named
    >>"message.zip"(19KB) which contains what appears to be a blank HTML page, it
    >>comes up clean in Norton scan and passes incoming mail scan. This is a
    >>recent virus, look here:
    >>http://www.datafellows.fi/v-descs/mimail.shtml
    >>Watch out for it and update your anti-virus, which I intend to do right now.

    >Ditto here, subscribe to a totally different ISP.
    >
    >Tom

    That should have been "and I subscribe to a totally different ISP".

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  12. Kenny

    Scott Hunter Guest

    Who'd be stupid enough to open attachments from Joe Blow anyway? I just
    bounce the message and hit delete.

    Scott Hunter, Aug 9, 2003
  13. On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:49:05 +0100, "Scott Hunter"
    <> wrote:

    >Who'd be stupid enough to open attachments from Joe Blow anyway? I just
    >bounce the message and hit delete.

    It wasn't from Joe Blow, it had the appearance of being from his ISP,
    just as it was in my case. I also scanned the file for a virus when I
    received it and found none, but I like to wait a week or so before I
    believe that there is truly no virus, long enough for several
    signature file updates.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I wasn't so stupid as to open it. Although Norton said it was clean I was
    suspicious as well as curious,did some research on it and discovered it was
    a new virus. That is why I posted the warning to a number of groups as well
    as to friends advising them not to open it and to update their anti-virus
    program.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 9, 2003