    engineering their "software".

    and yes I realise that it is "illegal" for someone to write virus's,
    well, I don't know under which laws, but it seems to be illegal.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I had a thought the other day when reading an EULA about not reverse
    > engineering that particular piece of software, and I wondered what the
    > legal implication would be if a virus were to have a similar EULA when
    > it was installed, would that make it illegal for AV companies to open
    > the virus to look for signatures?
    >
    > I know this is a murky area, but it just made me think of how
    > smart/nasty someone would have to be to sue McAfee etc for reverse
    > engineering their "software".
    >
    > and yes I realise that it is "illegal" for someone to write virus's,
    > well, I don't know under which laws, but it seems to be illegal.

    But if the virus writer had an EULA, wouldnt they need to get you to agree
    to the terms to make binding? I can just see a dialog box popping up on your
    pc asking you to agree to the EULA so the virus can install itself LoL

    Interesting thought.

    Rider

    Rider, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Rider wrote:
    > But if the virus writer had an EULA, wouldnt they need to get you to agree
    > to the terms to make binding? I can just see a dialog box popping up on your
    > pc asking you to agree to the EULA so the virus can install itself LoL
    > Interesting thought.

    People would do it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    > Rider wrote:
    > > But if the virus writer had an EULA, wouldnt they need to get you to

    agree
    > > to the terms to make binding? I can just see a dialog box popping up on

    your
    > > pc asking you to agree to the EULA so the virus can install itself LoL
    > > Interesting thought.

    > People would do it.

    LMAo ... yeah, forgot about that!

    Rider, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> But if the virus writer had an EULA, wouldnt they need to get you
    >>> to agree to the terms to make binding? I can just see a dialog box
    >>> popping up on your pc asking you to agree to the EULA so the virus
    >>> can install itself LoL Interesting thought.

    >> People would do it.

    > LMAo ... yeah, forgot about that!

    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JohnO Guest

    > I had a thought the other day when reading an EULA about not reverse
    > engineering that particular piece of software, and I wondered what the
    > legal implication would be if a virus were to have a similar EULA when
    > it was installed, would that make it illegal for AV companies to open
    > the virus to look for signatures?
    >
    > I know this is a murky area, but it just made me think of how
    > smart/nasty someone would have to be to sue McAfee etc for reverse
    > engineering their "software".
    >
    > and yes I realise that it is "illegal" for someone to write virus's,
    > well, I don't know under which laws, but it seems to be illegal.

    I expect in order to make such a EULA enforceable the author would have to
    identify himself. A quick way into a federal prison methinks.

    JohnO, Jul 13, 2004