    infection. I've run AVG, the Symantec online virus check, Spybot S&D and
    adaware. I've cleaned out my system but that light keeps flashing. Should
    I be worried or am I being Obsessive/Compulsive. TIA CG
    cool ghoul, Jan 15, 2005

  2. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "cool ghoul" <cool(remove)> wrote in message
    |I have windows XP using a cable internet connection with a Motorola
    | Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes constantly even
    | at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of possible virus or
    spyware
    | infection. I've run AVG, the Symantec online virus check, Spybot S&D and
    | adaware. I've cleaned out my system but that light keeps flashing.
    Should
    | I be worried or am I being Obsessive/Compulsive. TIA CG

    Relax. Mine does too. What you are seeing are packets of information flying
    by over the 'shared' connection. You don't have a direct line straight to
    your ISP, but it's the same line the whole neighborhood uses. (Non technical
    description of concept - I think it's fairly adequate/accurate.)

    Of course, there are things to do, some of which you mentioned: keep your AV
    up to date, and keep a watch on other malicious software. The one thing you
    didn't mention is a firewall...get a firewall in place if you don't already
    have one. While cable Internet is using 'dynamic' IP addresses, they are
    leased for long enough time for a hacker to really get a piece of your
    computer if they want to.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005

  3. cool ghoul

    cool ghoul Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "cool ghoul" <cool(remove)> wrote in message
    > |I have windows XP using a cable internet connection with a Motorola
    > | Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes constantly

    even
    > | at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of possible virus or
    > spyware
    > | infection. I've run AVG, the Symantec online virus check, Spybot S&D

    and
    > | adaware. I've cleaned out my system but that light keeps flashing.
    > Should
    > | I be worried or am I being Obsessive/Compulsive. TIA CG
    >
    > Relax. Mine does too. What you are seeing are packets of information

    flying
    > by over the 'shared' connection. You don't have a direct line straight to
    > your ISP, but it's the same line the whole neighborhood uses. (Non

    technical
    > description of concept - I think it's fairly adequate/accurate.)
    >
    > Of course, there are things to do, some of which you mentioned: keep your

    AV
    > up to date, and keep a watch on other malicious software. The one thing

    you
    > didn't mention is a firewall...get a firewall in place if you don't

    already
    > have one. While cable Internet is using 'dynamic' IP addresses, they are
    > leased for long enough time for a hacker to really get a piece of your
    > computer if they want to.
    >
    > Thanks, is the WINXP firewall sufficient or should I use ZA or some other

    commercial firewall? CG
    cool ghoul, Jan 15, 2005
  4. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    cool ghoul wrote:
    > cable internet connection with a Motorola
    > Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes constantly
    > even at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of possible
    > virus or spyware infection.

    'even at the desktop' doesn't compute for me, ie I don't grok that.

    In all probability what you are seeing is 'normal' internet syn
    activity/noise 'out there'. You can prove it to yourself that it is
    'outside' on the 'net at large, not your side.

    Unlike the earlier Motorola cybrsurfer which had no such feature, the
    surfboard has a 'standby' button which internally 'disconnects' that
    cable modem from its computer/router side -- so you can use that feature
    to reassure yourself that the busy syn activity remains the same
    intensity and activity even when the modem and your computer are
    dissociated/disconnected from each other.

    If you are mechanically oriented/'driven', you can also prove it to
    yourself by disconnecting your computer from the modem. The activity
    light will still be just as active.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 15, 2005
  5. cool ghoul

    cool ghoul Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > cool ghoul wrote:
    > > cable internet connection with a Motorola
    > > Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes constantly
    > > even at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of possible
    > > virus or spyware infection.

    > 'even at the desktop' doesn't compute for me, ie I don't grok that.
    >
    > In all probability what you are seeing is 'normal' internet syn
    > activity/noise 'out there'. You can prove it to yourself that it is
    > 'outside' on the 'net at large, not your side.
    >
    > Unlike the earlier Motorola cybrsurfer which had no such feature, the
    > surfboard has a 'standby' button which internally 'disconnects' that
    > cable modem from its computer/router side -- so you can use that feature
    > to reassure yourself that the busy syn activity remains the same
    > intensity and activity even when the modem and your computer are
    > dissociated/disconnected from each other.
    >
    > If you are mechanically oriented/'driven', you can also prove it to
    > yourself by disconnecting your computer from the modem. The activity
    > light will still be just as active.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    "At the desktop", No windows open. Just me and my icons. Not actively
    surfing the 'net. Removed NIC cable from computer, no activity light.
    HMMM......CG
    cool ghoul, Jan 15, 2005
  6. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    cool ghoul wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> cool ghoul wrote:
    >>> cable internet connection with a Motorola
    >>> Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes
    >>> constantly even at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of
    >>> possible virus or spyware infection.

    >> 'even at the desktop' doesn't compute for me, ie I don't grok that.

    > "At the desktop", No windows open. Just me and my icons. Not
    > actively surfing the 'net.

    Gotit.

    >> Unlike the earlier Motorola cybrsurfer which had no such feature, the
    >> surfboard has a 'standby' button which internally 'disconnects' that
    >> cable modem from its computer/router side

    I was mistaken about how that 'displays' I was assuming that the modem
    was still 'alive' in its functionality otherwise -- but instead it 'goes
    dead' with respect to lights; they all go off. So that is pretty
    meaningless. I hadn't used it before, but I tho't it would be the
    equivalent of disconnecting the modem, so that central could do its
    little modem things while in standby.

    The CD sez:

    6 Standby Press and the LED lights turn off indicating the Ethernet and
    USB ports are disabled (not receiving or transmitting data). The cable
    connection to the service provider remains active. Internet service is
    interrupted until the Standby button is pressed again. The Standby
    button offers added Internet security.

    So, apparently all of the lights are off but it is still connected to
    central. Hmm. Then the lights aren't really telling the truth in
    standby mode.

    >> If you are mechanically oriented/'driven', you can also prove it to
    >> yourself by disconnecting your computer from the modem. The activity
    >> light will still be just as active.

    Now that the above turned out to be a 'lie' then that would be the
    meaningful diagnostic step.

    > Removed NIC cable from computer, no
    > activity light. HMMM......CG

    That would distress me.

    When I do certain troubleshooting maneuvers I completely 'take down' my
    LAN. All boxen off, switch router off, cable modem off.

    Then I bring them back up; cable modem on, switch router on, boxen on
    one by one.

    When I do that, the cable modem only is on during that phase. I have
    busy activity light activity.

    You should have activity on that light even if your computer is off
    and/or disconnected.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 15, 2005
  7. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | cool ghoul wrote:
    | >>
    | >> 'even at the desktop' doesn't compute for me, ie I don't grok that.
    |
    | > "At the desktop", No windows open. Just me and my icons. Not
    | > actively surfing the 'net.
    |
    | Gotit.
    |
    | >> Unlike the earlier Motorola cybrsurfer which had no such feature, the
    | >> surfboard has a 'standby' button which internally 'disconnects' that
    | >> cable modem from its computer/router side
    |
    | I was mistaken about how that 'displays' I was assuming that the modem
    | was still 'alive' in its functionality otherwise -- but instead it 'goes
    | dead' with respect to lights; they all go off. So that is pretty
    | meaningless. I hadn't used it before, but I tho't it would be the
    | equivalent of disconnecting the modem, so that central could do its
    | little modem things while in standby.
    |
    | The CD sez:
    |
    | 6 Standby Press and the LED lights turn off indicating the Ethernet and
    | USB ports are disabled (not receiving or transmitting data). The cable
    | connection to the service provider remains active. Internet service is
    | interrupted until the Standby button is pressed again. The Standby
    | button offers added Internet security.
    |
    | So, apparently all of the lights are off but it is still connected to
    | central. Hmm. Then the lights aren't really telling the truth in
    | standby mode.
    |
    | >> If you are mechanically oriented/'driven', you can also prove it to
    | >> yourself by disconnecting your computer from the modem. The activity
    | >> light will still be just as active.
    |
    | Now that the above turned out to be a 'lie' then that would be the
    | meaningful diagnostic step.
    |
    | > Removed NIC cable from computer, no
    | > activity light. HMMM......CG
    |
    | That would distress me.
    |
    | When I do certain troubleshooting maneuvers I completely 'take down' my
    | LAN. All boxen off, switch router off, cable modem off.
    |
    | Then I bring them back up; cable modem on, switch router on, boxen on
    | one by one.
    |
    | When I do that, the cable modem only is on during that phase. I have
    | busy activity light activity.
    |
    | You should have activity on that light even if your computer is off
    | and/or disconnected.

    On that model, unlpugging the ethernet cable responds the same as hitting
    the standby button - IMO the light no longer accurately indicates anything.

    The next piece of equipment in my setup is a wireless router. When I leave
    the modem attached to the router, and disconnect/turn off all other
    connections (laptop/wireless, desktops/direct) I still have a flashing
    activity light. The router is obviously not doing any talking to the
    Internet.

    When I bypass the router and hook up a newly set up (spyware/adware/av
    software installed, updated, no chance for any 'infection') I still have the
    same activity light situation.

    I have cable modem ISP at the office. It's connected to a dedicated email
    server with Novell Border Manager running. If I unload the email agents
    (Groupwise) and web server (Apache) and all associated NLMs, then there's
    absolutely NO WAY there is any activity between the computer and the
    Internet, and the activity light is constantly flashing. (Especially since
    the server is runing Novell - people just don't write malware for the Novell
    platform).

    To further elucidate, my neighbor is also on the same system, similar
    components, same results.

    As you can see, I've looked at this exact issue myself a number of times,
    and I'm very confident it isn't a problem. It /could/ be malware trying to
    get in, but there's really nothing to indicate that either. BUT just to be
    safe, there's the firewall softwre, NAT in the router, and of course the
    network at the office has Border Manager blocking all ports except the
    essentials.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  8. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> I was mistaken about how that 'displays' I was assuming that the
    >> modem was still 'alive' in its functionality otherwise -- but
    >> instead it 'goes dead' with respect to lights; they all go off. So
    >> that is pretty meaningless. I hadn't used it before, but I tho't it
    >> would be the equivalent of disconnecting the modem, so that central
    >> could do its little modem things while in standby.
    >>
    >> The CD sez:
    >>
    >> 6 Standby Press and the LED lights turn off indicating the Ethernet
    >> and USB ports are disabled (not receiving or transmitting data). The
    >> cable connection to the service provider remains active. Internet
    >> service is interrupted until the Standby button is pressed again.
    >> The Standby button offers added Internet security.

    >> So, apparently all of the lights are off but it is still connected to
    >> central. Hmm. Then the lights aren't really telling the truth in
    >> standby mode.

    In that standby mode; all lights are off, including power and receive,
    but in reality, not only is the power on, but the modem is able to
    communicate back and forth with the central office; so the lights are
    'dysfunctional' compared to its condition. Its functional condition is
    that it is disconnected from the ethernet/usb communication, but not
    from the cable communication.

    That turns out to be wrong as well; but in a different condition.

    >> Now that the above turned out to be a 'lie' then that would be the
    >> meaningful diagnostic step.
    >>
    >>> Removed NIC cable from computer, no
    >>> activity light. HMMM......CG

    Apparently the activity light is off unless the modem can see an IP or
    'something'.

    >> When I do certain troubleshooting maneuvers I completely 'take down'
    >> my LAN. All boxen off, switch router off, cable modem off.
    >>
    >> Then I bring them back up; cable modem on, switch router on, boxen
    >> on one by one.
    >>
    >> When I do that, the cable modem only is on during that phase. I have
    >> busy activity light activity.

    That turns out to not be true. When the cable modem is on but the
    switch router is off, the cable modem cycles up until all the lights are
    green, but the activity is dead until the modem can see something at the
    router.

    >> You should have activity on that light even if your computer is off
    >> and/or disconnected.

    That would be not true. The modem has to 'see something' before there
    is activity light activity.

    > On that model, unlpugging the ethernet cable responds the same as
    > hitting the standby button - IMO the light no longer accurately
    > indicates anything.

    Yes. The loss of 'something to see' results in loss of the activity
    light's activity. But it is different from hitting the standby button,
    which kills all of the lights, not just the standby.

    > The next piece of equipment in my setup is a wireless router. When I
    > leave the modem attached to the router, and disconnect/turn off all
    > other connections (laptop/wireless, desktops/direct) I still have a
    > flashing activity light. The router is obviously not doing any
    > talking to the Internet.

    I think the activity light's activity means that there something for the
    modem to give an IP address to, or something like that.

    > When I bypass the router and hook up a newly set up (spyware/adware/av
    > software installed, updated, no chance for any 'infection') I still
    > have the same activity light situation.

    I think if the experiment were with a system which didn't have the
    'capacity' for an IP address, then the activity would remain dead. That
    is, if you observed it during the bios post, no activity. If you put a
    dos OS on the boot, no activity. If you put a win system without some
    kind of network integration, no activity. But I'm not sure about that.
    Maybe just having a live nic would be enough for activity. I'm not
    sure.

    > As you can see, I've looked at this exact issue myself a number of
    > times, and I'm very confident it isn't a problem.

    I wasn't worried about it being a problem for hir because I see all of
    that activity all the time. But, I didn't realize what kind of
    'ingredients' were necessary in order to see that activity. I've always
    interpreted it as syn activity 'out there' - but now I'm confused about
    why it isn't seen under some circumstances that I was assuming would
    work before.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2005
  9. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    <snip>|
    | I wasn't worried about it being a problem for hir because I see all of
    | that activity all the time. But, I didn't realize what kind of
    | 'ingredients' were necessary in order to see that activity. I've always
    | interpreted it as syn activity 'out there' - but now I'm confused about
    | why it isn't seen under some circumstances that I was assuming would
    | work before.

    I agree - the modem certainly looks like it needs some type of "active"
    connection on the output for it to display the activity light. But just to
    be sure, before I had the router in place I used to punch the "standby"
    button when I wasn't using the computer.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  10. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > I used
    > to punch the "standby" button when I wasn't using the computer.

    I think that it should be configured differently for that standby
    function. They could/should do that. The power light should be on, for
    goodness sakes; the 'hookup' between the modem and 'downtown' [or
    wherever] should 'integrate' because it is -- after all, they are
    talking to each other and the modem is keeping logs of it and the
    modem's s/w can get upgraded and all kinds of stuff in standby.

    Standby should be in the same kind of all green as with the modem on and
    cable connected but not ethernet or usb connected.

    I'm also not real wild about that tiny paperclip hole access to a reset
    button. It's easier to unplug it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2005
  11. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > I used
    | > to punch the "standby" button when I wasn't using the computer.
    |
    | I think that it should be configured differently for that standby
    | function. They could/should do that. The power light should be on, for
    | goodness sakes; the 'hookup' between the modem and 'downtown' [or
    | wherever] should 'integrate' because it is -- after all, they are
    | talking to each other and the modem is keeping logs of it and the
    | modem's s/w can get upgraded and all kinds of stuff in standby.
    |
    | Standby should be in the same kind of all green as with the modem on and
    | cable connected but not ethernet or usb connected.

    Agreed. It shouldn't look like the thing has come unplugged!

    | I'm also not real wild about that tiny paperclip hole access to a reset
    | button. It's easier to unplug it.

    Reset button? What reset button? I've /always/ unplugged mine <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  12. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> I'm also not real wild about that tiny paperclip hole access to a
    >> reset button. It's easier to unplug it.

    > Reset button? What reset button? I've /always/ unplugged mine <g>

    Reset hole, really. And you have to 'aim straight' when you go in there
    with a straightened out paper clip, which is the perfect tool.
    Ridiculous. I'd rather see the spark fly when I unplug it than mess
    with that little hole.

    At least it has a decent lifespan. I had two previous Cybrsurfers which
    get really hot and also die young.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2005
  13. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > "Mike Easter"
    | >> I'm also not real wild about that tiny paperclip hole access to a
    | >> reset button. It's easier to unplug it.
    | >
    | > Reset button? What reset button? I've /always/ unplugged mine <g>
    |
    | Reset hole, really. And you have to 'aim straight' when you go in there
    | with a straightened out paper clip, which is the perfect tool.
    | Ridiculous. I'd rather see the spark fly when I unplug it than mess
    | with that little hole.
    |
    | At least it has a decent lifespan. I had two previous Cybrsurfers which
    | get really hot and also die young.

    Heat...yeah...I gotta do something about that <g>! I have a new
    entertainment center with a glass door...it gets WAY hot in there. I'm gonna
    install a couple of small muffin fans right above/behind the receiver. So
    many projects, so little time :-(
    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  14. cool ghoul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > I'm gonna install a couple of small muffin fans right above/behind
    > the receiver.

    Don't make any noise. That kind of application is supposed to be really
    really quiet/silent in there.

    What in the world is the heat coming from?

    That reminds me of the days when there were those big beautiful McIntosh
    chrome and black poweramp tube babies.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 16, 2005
  15. cool ghoul

    Plato Guest

    cool ghoul wrote:

    > I have windows XP using a cable internet connection with a Motorola
    > Surfboard modem. The activity light on the modem flashes constantly even
    > at the desktop. I've heard that this is a sign of possible virus or spyware

    Mine flashes all the time also. I dont care.
    Plato, Jan 16, 2005
  16. cool ghoul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > I'm gonna install a couple of small muffin fans right above/behind
    | > the receiver.
    |
    | Don't make any noise. That kind of application is supposed to be really
    | really quiet/silent in there.

    I'm actually worried about a 60Hz hum...worst case I may have to research
    filters...ummm...capacitors, ferrite coils...geez, electronics class was
    *SO* long ago <g>

    | What in the world is the heat coming from?

    I have my JVC receiver on all the time, and the Motorola Moxi box (like a
    TIVO). Between the two, it's unbelievable. I put a digital thermostat in
    there, it hit 99 degrees and went into error mode!

    | That reminds me of the days when there were those big beautiful McIntosh
    | chrome and black poweramp tube babies.

    One of the stupidest things I ever did was giving away a Kenwood tube
    receiver (I was young...). And a couple others. I have only one left, and it
    was a kit (Scott) someone else built...I have no idea if it even works
    right.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 16, 2005
  17. cool ghoul

    Jenn Cooper Guest

    > cool ghoul wrote:
    > >>
    > >> 'even at the desktop' doesn't compute for me, ie I don't grok that.

    > > "At the desktop", No windows open. Just me and my icons. Not
    > > actively surfing the 'net.

    > Gotit.
    >
    > >> Unlike the earlier Motorola cybrsurfer which had no such feature, the
    > >> surfboard has a 'standby' button which internally 'disconnects' that
    > >> cable modem from its computer/router side

    > I was mistaken about how that 'displays' I was assuming that the modem
    > was still 'alive' in its functionality otherwise -- but instead it 'goes
    > dead' with respect to lights; they all go off. So that is pretty
    > meaningless. I hadn't used it before, but I tho't it would be the
    > equivalent of disconnecting the modem, so that central could do its
    > little modem things while in standby.
    >
    > The CD sez:
    >
    > 6 Standby Press and the LED lights turn off indicating the Ethernet and
    > USB ports are disabled (not receiving or transmitting data). The cable
    > connection to the service provider remains active. Internet service is
    > interrupted until the Standby button is pressed again. The Standby
    > button offers added Internet security.
    >
    > So, apparently all of the lights are off but it is still connected to
    > central. Hmm. Then the lights aren't really telling the truth in
    > standby mode.
    >
    > >> If you are mechanically oriented/'driven', you can also prove it to
    > >> yourself by disconnecting your computer from the modem. The activity
    > >> light will still be just as active.

    > Now that the above turned out to be a 'lie' then that would be the
    > meaningful diagnostic step.
    >
    > > Removed NIC cable from computer, no
    > > activity light. HMMM......CG

    > That would distress me.
    >
    > When I do certain troubleshooting maneuvers I completely 'take down' my
    > LAN. All boxen off, switch router off, cable modem off.
    >
    > Then I bring them back up; cable modem on, switch router on, boxen on
    > one by one.
    >
    > When I do that, the cable modem only is on during that phase. I have
    > busy activity light activity.
    >

    > You should have activity on that light even if your computer is off
    > and/or disconnected.

    I have a DSL modem that does the same thing (the lights are always flashing
    if the computer's on... even if it's not connected to the internet.
    Apparently, (this is what the 'idiots' at the helpdesk told me, IN HIS
    WORDS, almost... maybe they got something right...?) if you're online, your
    ISP will send data packets to your computer JUST to see if it's still online
    (the incoming light flashes)... then your computer responds to say "hey! i'm
    online! don't cut me off, damnit!" (outgoing light flashes) back and forth
    for every 30seconds or so when your connection is idling.
    If you're not online, BUT your computer is on, the modem will send a data
    packet to see if your ISP is up & running (the server/connection/etc is
    active), and it sends a packet back (the lights flashing again).
    When you disconnect the NIC, the modem kinda turns itself off, because it
    doesn't see a point in being connected to the server. On my modem one of the
    lights will turn red.. others turn off completely. The same thing pretty
    well happens when the server is down, or when the modem is disconnected from
    the internet (cable or tel. cord), just different lights.
    The ON light should be on at all times, unless it's one of those new ones
    where it's powered by the computer through the USB port/NIC.

    Hope that helps a bit...
    Jenn Cooper, Jan 16, 2005
  18. cool ghoul

    Plato Guest

    cool ghoul wrote:

    > Thanks, is the WINXP firewall sufficient or should I use ZA or some other
    > commercial firewall? CG

    IN theory the xp firewall would be fine if you dont install spyware or
    viruses that can send out info.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 16, 2005