    This is for home systems on dial up or jetstream.

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 24, 2005

  2. Peter

    Jay Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
    > I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

    I've had no problems with AVG

    > Also, is zonealarm still a good choice for firewall on Win98 / ME?
    > (Assuming the firewall with WinXP SP2 is adequate - is it?)

    I had a few problems with ZoneAlarm - mostly services not starting
    (dependancies timing out).
    I use Kerio and have had no problems there.

    Jay

    Jay, Apr 24, 2005

  3. On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:42:12 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
    >I hear the free version of AVG is ok.
    >
    >Also, is zonealarm still a good choice for firewall on Win98 / ME?
    >(Assuming the firewall with WinXP SP2 is adequate - is it?)
    >
    >This is for home systems on dial up or jetstream.

    Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
    section talking about XP2 firewall

    SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98

    I have had no problems at all running ZA 5.5 on Windows 98
    It is a good piece of software

    FreedomChooser, Apr 25, 2005
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    FreedomChooser wrote:
    > Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
    > section talking about XP2 firewall

    Occasionally people ask me about how to look after / maintain their home
    computers, and usually this just involves recommending they install
    updates, run a virus checker (and keep the definitions up to date) and run
    a firewall. I don't use windows much so I just wanted to check what the
    current preferences are for this stuff.

    Probably should add in a spyware checker, too. What do you think is best
    pick of these?

    > SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98

    I know.
    I was asking about a firewall for Win98, on the assumption that the WinXP
    SP2 firewall is adequate (which may be a rash assumption).

    cheers

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 25, 2005
  5. On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:08:18 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >FreedomChooser wrote:
    >> Why are tou asking for ZA for a firewall on 98 and then in the next
    >> section talking about XP2 firewall

    >Occasionally people ask me about how to look after / maintain their home
    >computers, and usually this just involves recommending they install
    >updates, run a virus checker (and keep the definitions up to date) and run
    >a firewall. I don't use windows much so I just wanted to check what the
    >current preferences are for this stuff.
    >
    >Probably should add in a spyware checker, too. What do you think is best
    >pick of these?
    >
    >> SP2 firewall does not run on Windows 98

    >I know.
    >I was asking about a firewall for Win98, on the assumption that the WinXP
    >SP2 firewall is adequate (which may be a rash assumption).

    The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
    XP?

    Anyone who recommends people install 98 in preference to XP needs
    their head read

    FreedomChooser, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Peter

    XPD Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
    > I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

    I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
    a fault with it yet.

    XPD, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Peter

    Peter Guest

    FreedomChooser wrote:
    > The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
    > XP?

    Where did you get that idea from?

    Some people have a PC with Win98. It is generally considered worthwhile to
    install a firewall on such PCs, if they are going to connect to the
    internet.

    OTOH some people have a PC running Win XP. With SP2, this has a firewall,
    so it would not be necessary to install a firewall on these PCs (assuming
    the Win XP firewall is adequate).

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 25, 2005
  8. Peter

    Phstpok Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
    >>I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

    > I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
    > a fault with it yet.

    I have recently changed to Antivir www.free-av.com

    No real problems with AVG which I used for ages, Antivir seems to have a
    new dat file every night and it found virii I knew must be there but
    were not found by AVG.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Apr 25, 2005
  9. Peter

    Ross Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:52:08 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What recommendations for virus scanner for home PC running Win98 or WinXP?
    >> I hear the free version of AVG is ok.

    >I use AVG on all my systems and any client systems that need AV. havent had
    >a fault with it yet.

    Some Windows 98 systems have problems. I had to change one of mine to
    AVAST! due to frequent "invalid page" faults. (And yes, the RAM tested
    good).

    Ross, Apr 26, 2005
  10. Peter

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:00:02 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >FreedomChooser wrote:
    >> The only reason I can see for you asking this is to recommend 98 over
    >> XP?

    >Where did you get that idea from?
    >
    >Some people have a PC with Win98. It is generally considered worthwhile to
    >install a firewall on such PCs, if they are going to connect to the
    >internet.
    >
    >OTOH some people have a PC running Win XP. With SP2, this has a firewall,
    >so it would not be necessary to install a firewall on these PCs (assuming
    >the Win XP firewall is adequate).
    >

    >Peter

    FreedomChooser = Moron

    DoggNZ, Apr 27, 2005