    software.
    Neither of these options seems very practical. How does someplace
    like Best Buy do it? I doubt they do it like this.

    Magnum, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Magnum

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>,
    (Magnum) wrote:

    > How would I go about searching for and removing viruses while working
    > on site?
    > The only way I can think of is to install and run the AV software or
    > pull the hard drive and put it in a machine that already has AV
    > software.
    > Neither of these options seems very practical. How does someplace
    > like Best Buy do it? I doubt they do it like this.

    Well, there really is no GREAT way to do it onsite... While there are
    ways of doing it, I prefer not to. I prefer to use the controlled
    environment of my shop where I have all the tools I need to mount any
    HDD. Ever try to mount a HDD with GoBack installed? SHEESH!!!

    However, there is a solution I am considering- albeit a bit expensive.
    Bring a laptop with firewire. Also bring a firewire drive housing.
    Install the cust HDD into the drive housing and use your laptop to do the
    scan and repairs.

    Ghost, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Magnum

    techshare Guest

    Like I said in a previous post ... you can use F-Prot from DOS. However, I
    don't see all the concern as it's usually more effective to run the scanner
    in Windows on the infected machine (so long as you are able to get it
    installed and running).

    techshare, Nov 7, 2003
  4. If they are on the net, you can always run houecall from trendmicro it's at
    http://housecall.antivirus.com it's free, and up to date, and does a pretty
    decent job.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Nov 7, 2003
  5. Magnum

    allan angus Guest

    one way ive used to remove viruses on site is to take a HD with a working OS
    and up to date virus scanner on it, take out the customers infected drive,
    set up your drive as the primary master and run the customers drive as a
    slave, boot up and scan the customers drive for viruses from there. ok the
    OS on your drive wont have all the correct drivers for your customers
    computer but you wont need them just to remove a virus.

    hope this is of some help

    allan

    allan angus, Nov 8, 2003