    damage?
    2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected, would
    I still get the virus sent.?

    area 51, Aug 26, 2003

  2. area 51

    S.Heenan Guest

    area 51 wrote:
    > Any idea why the person (people), behind these latest virus attacks,
    > didn't go the whole hog, and write them to affect win95/98 as well.

    In the case of the W32Blaster worm, it exploited a weakness present only in
    Windows NT/2000/XP. SoBig and Bugbear affect most all Microsoft operating
    systems.

    > Plus as I am running win 98, and still getting 100s of firewall
    > detection's hourly, all from the same place, presume it to be one of
    > these virus programmes.

    > 1. if my firewall was off does it still access computer but do no
    > damage?

    Maybe, maybe not. Have both your firewall and anti-virus software updated
    and running at all times.

    > 2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected,
    > would I still get the virus sent.?

    Possibly. As a general rule, don't open any attachment from anyone. If you
    requested a file from a friend, save it and scan it. Then get in touch wih
    them and ask if they did indeed send it. If they did indeed send it, you're
    probably OK to run it.
    --
    Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

    S.Heenan, Aug 26, 2003

  3. area 51

    Mr. Smiley Guest

    S.Heenan wrote:
    > area 51 wrote:
    >> Any idea why the person (people), behind these latest virus attacks,
    >> didn't go the whole hog, and write them to affect win95/98 as well.

    > In the case of the W32Blaster worm, it exploited a weakness present
    > only in Windows NT/2000/XP. SoBig and Bugbear affect most all
    > Microsoft operating systems.
    >
    >> Plus as I am running win 98, and still getting 100s of firewall
    >> detection's hourly, all from the same place, presume it to be one of
    >> these virus programmes.

    >> 1. if my firewall was off does it still access computer but do no
    >> damage?

    > Maybe, maybe not. Have both your firewall and anti-virus software
    > updated and running at all times.
    >
    >> 2.I am on the addy book of friends with xp. If they were infected,
    >> would I still get the virus sent.?

    > Possibly. As a general rule, don't open any attachment from anyone.
    > If you requested a file from a friend, save it and scan it. Then get
    > in touch wih them and ask if they did indeed send it. If they did
    > indeed send it, you're probably OK to run it.

    Microsoft is a nice, big, high profile target.

    --
    the abominable toner

    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

    Mr. Smiley, Aug 26, 2003