Virus Q - ByteVerify Trojan

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. System:
    Win98se - updates, patches, yada-yada...
    EZ AV (v6.1.4.0 / Maj Sig 4008 / Min Sig 5004 - Oc 31)
    MS JVM (ver 5.00.3810)
    ZoneAlarm 3.7.211

    I will admit to "recreational surfing"... and I've been hit on multiple
    occations with the Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan - verified and cleaned
    by EZAV.

    All MS's info says MS JVM ver 5.00.3802 and earlier are affected, but
    later versions aren't... (Apparently not!)

    Is there a known way to keep this bugger out.. Or should I just see
    about ripping MS's JVM out and just sticking with the Sun version?

    Many thanks.. and happy halloween!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 31, 2003

  2. BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

    °Mike° Guest

    This is an *exploit*, not a trojan. If you have the patched
    version of JVM, you have nothing to worry about.

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:54:33 -0500, in
    <>
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003