    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    Craven Birds, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message
    news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$-berlin.de...
    > The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem over-the-top
    > IMO.
    >
    > I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
    > cannot be infected! Is this true?
    >
    > Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under the
    > impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's been
    > discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

    Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
    myths.
    --
    Craven Birds

    Craven Birds, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Craven Birds

    DC Guest

    Craven Birds wrote in <bvq5ih$vdlu6$-berlin.de>:

    > "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message
    >> The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem over-the-top
    >> IMO.

    >> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
    >> cannot be infected! Is this true?

    >> Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under the
    >> impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's been
    >> discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

    > Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
    > myths.

    Thanks for sharing. *sigh*

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Craven Birds wrote in <bvq5ih$vdlu6$-berlin.de>:
    >
    > > "Craven Birds" <> wrote in message
    > >> The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem

    over-the-top
    > >> IMO.

    > >> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your

    computer
    > >> cannot be infected! Is this true?

    > >> Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under

    the
    > >> impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's

    been
    > >> discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

    > > Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
    > > myths.

    > Thanks for sharing. *sigh*

    Didn't give a link because I don't want to have a flame war with anyone, who
    might disagree with the info from the site!

    Here's the link:

    http://www.stiller.com/myths.htm

    --
    Craven Birds

    Craven Birds, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Craven Birds

    Stickems Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    Your statement is not true. There are many other ways that your PC can
    become infected.
    1) Someone could gain entry (Hack) through an open software port.
    2) There could be a virus in one of your programs, however it was obtained.
    e.g. disk or by downloading.
    3) Some web sites have malicious coding that will infect your computer.
    4) There must be other ways as well. I'm sure someone will come up with
    them.

    Stickems, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Craven Birds

    Craven Birds Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    "Stickems" <> wrote in message
    > Your statement is not true. There are many other ways that your PC can
    > become infected.
    > 1) Someone could gain entry (Hack) through an open software port.
    > 2) There could be a virus in one of your programs, however it was

    obtained.
    > e.g. disk or by downloading.
    > 3) Some web sites have malicious coding that will infect your computer.
    > 4) There must be other ways as well. I'm sure someone will come up with
    > them.

    I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come from?

    --
    Craven Birds

    Craven Birds, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Craven Birds

    Ghostmaster Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    Craven Birds wrote:
    : "Stickems" <> wrote in message
    : news:br6Ub.441$...
    :
    : I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come from?

    What do you consider reliable?

    -----
    Registered Linux user #334297
    It's illegal not having Linux installed.

    Ghostmaster, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Craven Birds

    Bill Purvis Guest

    Thanks for the link
    Bill

    Bill Purvis, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Craven Birds

    Stickems Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    I checked the link that you gave and my impression of it was that it was
    written a very long time ago. It is no longer true that most viruses come
    from infected boot sectors. Today, and for some years now, they come from
    infected email attachments.

    Stickems, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Craven Birds

    Ghostmaster Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    Stickems wrote:
    : I checked the link that you gave and my impression of it was that it
    : was written a very long time ago. It is no longer true that most
    : viruses come from infected boot sectors. Today, and for some years
    : now, they come from infected email attachments.

    Don't forget to mention that the link also is to a Website for a anti-virus
    software. They still have to make "their" product look good. Plus act like
    they know something better than the next anti-virus software company on the
    Internet. Your right about the attachments. But social engineering plays a
    major role it also. Anti-Virus software can only be as good as the software
    company who makes it. Plus do as good as it can as long as the user allows
    it too. So you can have the best Anti-Virus software there is on the
    market. But, if you don't keep it upgraded, run scans, and heed the virus
    warnings online, then you just wasted money, ruined many machines, and
    possibly made a few enemies.

    Ghostmaster, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Craven Birds

    Dan Shea Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:10:59 -0000, "Craven Birds" <>
    wrote:

    >I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come from?

    You're looking for reliable sources in a newsgroup? Umm... ;)

    > I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
    > cannot be infected! Is this true?

    If you're asking whether opening an e-mail attachments is the only way
    to get a virus, the answer is most certainly not. E-mail is just the
    most prevalent medium of communication. The virus doesn't
    particularly care how it got to your computer - whether by e-mail
    attachment, floppy disk, FTP, copy over a network share, Y-modem file
    transfer, or any other method of getting a file from one computer to
    another.

    If you're asking whether you can simply receive an infected
    atttachment without getting infected yourself, the answer is yes. You
    have to execute the attachment (one way or another, and there are
    several ways) in order for it to infect your computer.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Craven Birds

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:54:30 -0000, "Craven Birds" <>
    wrote:

    >Here's the link:
    >
    >http://www.stiller.com/myths.htm

    While the information on that page is often correct, much of it is
    quite outdated to the point of being dangerous.

    "Most infected PCs are infected by system sector viruses such as
    Michelangelo, Stoned, Monkey, or Form. These viruses only spread by
    booting from an infected diskette. This makes it clear that online
    communication plays no part in the spread of most viruses."

    Yikes.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Craven Birds

    Boomer Guest

    Re: Virus protection.

    "Craven Birds" <> wrote in

    > "Stickems" <> wrote in message
    >> Your statement is not true. There are many other ways that your
    >> PC can become infected.
    >> 1) Someone could gain entry (Hack) through an open software port.
    >> 2) There could be a virus in one of your programs, however it was

    > obtained.
    >> e.g. disk or by downloading.
    >> 3) Some web sites have malicious coding that will infect your
    >> computer. 4) There must be other ways as well. I'm sure someone
    >> will come up with them.

    > I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come
    > from?

    Take a trip over to alt.comp.anti-virus. And lurk there for a few
    weeks or search the archives at Google.com.

    Here's a few things you might want to read.

    ~Safe Hex ~
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/safehex.html
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Unpatched IE security holes
    http://pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

    Protecting Your Privacy & Security
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

    And you might want to consider installing a non-OE browser. :)

    Boomer, Feb 4, 2004