    software (AVG and Norton) come into play? Thus I was curious about
    how virus protection works if accessing email via IMAP at a hosting
    service. Thanx.

    Sandy Bremmer, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Sandy Bremmer

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Sandy Bremmer
    <no_email_please@prefer_the_newsgroups.com> wrote:

    > I am using a web hosting service and I set up an IMAP email account so
    > I can manage email more conveniently from the various computers I use.
    > Since the email (via IMAP) resides on the server instead of my
    > downloading it to my computer (via POP3), I was curious about virus
    > protection. Customarily my AV software (AVG and Norton) scans
    > incoming email and deletes or quarantines suspect email. But if the
    > email resides on the server and I'm opening/reading it on my computer
    > through my mail program (Thunderbird), does my computer's local AV
    > software (AVG and Norton) come into play? Thus I was curious about
    > how virus protection works if accessing email via IMAP at a hosting
    > service. Thanx.

    If any attachments are opened by programs at your end, then you are
    vulnerable.
    It isn't important where the message is normally stored.
    You are still downloading the image even if you aren't storing it, for
    instance. It's just put in a temporary file.

    Let me give an example:
    if you use a Web browser, the file is stored on the hosting site. But
    you download the entire contents of the page, and it is a program on
    your end that opens and displays those.

    In the case of mail, if you can see it, you've vulnerable to it. If
    your mail program downloaded any attachments, you are at risk of
    whatever those are. Like the recent revelations about WMV-type files
    causing problems in all Windows versions.

    Mitch, Jan 22, 2006