virus protection...what is best??....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CheechWizard, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. CheechWizard

    CheechWizard Guest

    help me out here young skywalkers...

    what is the best virus protection out there??

    norton, mcafee, avg??...what gives??...is there
    any alternatives??...i am beginning to realize there
    is no fool-proof anti-virus s'ware...but what is
    one can do??...

    please, please, give the 'definitive' answer to this
    silly and yet sophisticated problem...

    make your comment(s) the 'bible' of virus protection...
    you *will* be worshipped like a god...please divulge
    your learned wisdom to the teeming mass so that we
    can sleep at night...

    peace....
     
    CheechWizard, Dec 12, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. CheechWizard wrote:

    > what is the best virus protection out there??


    A non-MS operating system.

    --
    Blinky
     
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. CheechWizard

    Noel Paton Guest

    What's your Operating System?
    If Win9x, then stay away from either Norton under any circumstances - almost
    any of the others will work better, consuming less resources (and resources
    are precious in Win 9x)

    If Windows XP, then I'd still steer clear of Norton - but mostly because
    they still haven't learned that binding the AV into the registry the way
    they do really screws the program when a System Restore is used (to the
    point that a reinstall of NAV is required - followed by re-updating the
    program - to get it back to a usable state)

    My personal favourite is AVG - for two reasons
    1) it's light on resources
    2) it's free for personal use
    It also works pretty well!<g>


    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    news:6tSud.961$...
    > help me out here young skywalkers...
    >
    > what is the best virus protection out there??
    >
    > norton, mcafee, avg??...what gives??...is there
    > any alternatives??...i am beginning to realize there
    > is no fool-proof anti-virus s'ware...but what is
    > one can do??...
    >
    > please, please, give the 'definitive' answer to this
    > silly and yet sophisticated problem...
    >
    > make your comment(s) the 'bible' of virus protection...
    > you *will* be worshipped like a god...please divulge
    > your learned wisdom to the teeming mass so that we
    > can sleep at night...
    >
    > peace....
    >
    >
     
    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
    #3
  4. CheechWizard

    Noel Paton Guest

    You obviously have got the latest release of the Mac OSX updates then -
    with patches for all the many vulnerabilities it contains?
    :)

    ALL OS's have vulnerabilities - it's just that there are more people looking
    for them on Windows. (after all, why kill the OS that you claim is better
    than the one you dislike?)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > CheechWizard wrote:
    >
    >> what is the best virus protection out there??

    >
    > A non-MS operating system.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky
     
    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
    #4
  5. CheechWizard

    Voltardo Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > CheechWizard wrote:
    >
    >
    >>what is the best virus protection out there??

    >
    >
    > A non-MS operating system.
    >

    <quote>
    AVG provides protection for Linux email servers. AVG removes viruses
    from incoming email messages - ensuring that they cannot harm the
    computer - and deals with them according to rules defined by the user.
    AVG Anti-Virus can even be set as a filter for undesireable or
    suspicious files, according to criteria such as the file extension type.
    </quote>

    -www.grisoft.com
     
    Voltardo, Dec 12, 2004
    #5
  6. (I didn't snip this heavily; the top poster's sig being before the rest
    of the message is at fault for that.)

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > You obviously have got the latest release of the Mac OSX updates then -
    > with patches for all the many vulnerabilities it contains?
    >:)


    1. Not according to my headers.

    2. I'll bet they don't sit around for months, like MS sometimes does,
    before releasing a patch for a hole they know about.

    > ALL OS's have vulnerabilities - it's just that there are more people looking
    > for them on Windows. (after all, why kill the OS that you claim is better
    > than the one you dislike?)


    No argument there. But that doesn't disprove my statement that the best
    antivirus is the use of a non-MS operating system (to which you
    responded, above). *Why* MS is much more targeted doesn't change the
    fact that it *is*; and the question was about *avoidance*, not the
    politics of creating malware.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
     
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
    #6
  7. Voltardo wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >> CheechWizard wrote:


    >>>what is the best virus protection out there??


    >> A non-MS operating system.


    ><quote>
    > AVG provides protection for Linux email servers. AVG removes viruses
    > from incoming email messages - ensuring that they cannot harm the
    > computer - and deals with them according to rules defined by the user.
    > AVG Anti-Virus can even be set as a filter for undesireable or
    > suspicious files, according to criteria such as the file extension type.
    ></quote>


    > -www.grisoft.com


    <yawn> Nothing new, there, Bud. And they probably have what, 60 viruses
    to protect Linux boxen from, as versus 70,000 or some such obscene number
    for Windows? My answer stands. <zzzzzzz>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
     
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
    #7
  8. CheechWizard

    WormWood Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" wrote:
    > Voltardo wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >
    >>> CheechWizard wrote:

    >
    >>>>what is the best virus protection out there??

    >
    >>> A non-MS operating system.

    >
    >><quote>
    >> AVG provides protection for Linux email servers. AVG removes viruses
    >> from incoming email messages - ensuring that they cannot harm the
    >> computer - and deals with them according to rules defined by the
    >> user.
    >> AVG Anti-Virus can even be set as a filter for undesireable or
    >> suspicious files, according to criteria such as the file extension
    >> type.
    >></quote>

    >
    >> -www.grisoft.com

    >
    > <yawn> Nothing new, there, Bud. And they probably have what, 60
    > viruses
    > to protect Linux boxen from, as versus 70,000 or some such obscene
    > number
    > for Windows? My answer stands. <zzzzzzz>
    >

    Clairvoyance is not my forte, therefore, I find it difficult to make
    conjectures about a poster's knowledge by merely reading their messages.
    It seemed somewhat apparent you could use a bit more from the tone of
    your post. :cool:






    ---
    Outgoing mail is outgoing except during reversal episodes, in which case
    it is incoming. The delimiter sux, but hey - it's free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.809 / Virus Database: 551 - Release Date: 12/9/2004
     
    WormWood, Dec 12, 2004
    #8
  9. CheechWizard

    WormWood Guest

    Please accept my apologies, sir. This post was not meant for you.

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote:
    >> Voltardo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>
    >>>> CheechWizard wrote:

    >>
    >>>>>what is the best virus protection out there??

    >>
    >>>> A non-MS operating system.

    >>
    >>><quote>
    >>> AVG provides protection for Linux email servers. AVG removes viruses
    >>> from incoming email messages - ensuring that they cannot harm the
    >>> computer - and deals with them according to rules defined by the
    >>> user.
    >>> AVG Anti-Virus can even be set as a filter for undesireable or
    >>> suspicious files, according to criteria such as the file extension
    >>> type.
    >>></quote>

    >>
    >>> -www.grisoft.com

    >>
    >> <yawn> Nothing new, there, Bud. And they probably have what, 60
    >> viruses
    >> to protect Linux boxen from, as versus 70,000 or some such obscene
    >> number
    >> for Windows? My answer stands. <zzzzzzz>
    >>

    > Clairvoyance is not my forte, therefore, I find it difficult to make
    > conjectures about a poster's knowledge by merely reading their
    > messages. It seemed somewhat apparent you could use a bit more from
    > the tone of your post. :cool:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is outgoing except during reversal episodes, in which
    > case it is incoming. The delimiter sux, but hey - it's free.
    > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    > Version: 6.0.809 / Virus Database: 551 - Release Date: 12/9/2004
    >



    ---
    Outgoing mail is outgoing except during reversal episodes, in which case
    it is incoming. The delimiter sux, but hey - it's free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.809 / Virus Database: 551 - Release Date: 12/9/2004
     
    WormWood, Dec 12, 2004
    #9
  10. CheechWizard

    °Mike° Guest

    There is no definitive answer, as no antivirus
    is 100% effective at all times, however there
    are good solutions and bad solutions. One
    of the very best is Kaspersky. Those to stay
    away from, if you value your data and/or you
    have "questionable" download/browsing habits,
    are the free offerings; not because they are
    free, but because there are just no good free
    products out there any longer, since InocculateIT
    went commercial. My suggestions:

    1. KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    2. Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    3. NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    I used to recommend eZ Antivirus (used to be
    InocculateIT), but it has slid the slippery slope,
    and is now a second-rate product, that will absolutely
    refuse to install if you have a second AV already
    installed.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:31:14 GMT, in
    <6tSud.961$>
    CheechWizard scrawled:

    >help me out here young skywalkers...
    >
    >what is the best virus protection out there??
    >
    >norton, mcafee, avg??...what gives??...is there
    >any alternatives??...i am beginning to realize there
    >is no fool-proof anti-virus s'ware...but what is
    >one can do??...
    >
    >please, please, give the 'definitive' answer to this
    >silly and yet sophisticated problem...
    >
    >make your comment(s) the 'bible' of virus protection...
    >you *will* be worshipped like a god...please divulge
    >your learned wisdom to the teeming mass so that we
    >can sleep at night...
    >
    >peace....
    >


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
     
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
    #10
  11. CheechWizard

    Noel Paton Guest

    If you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    perhaps a course of Vallium might help?

    In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that may have
    occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my responses (quite
    apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)


    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > (I didn't snip this heavily; the top poster's sig being before the rest
    > of the message is at fault for that.)
    >
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> You obviously have got the latest release of the Mac OSX updates then -
    >> with patches for all the many vulnerabilities it contains?
    >>:)

    >
    > 1. Not according to my headers.


    True - my bad!

    >
    > 2. I'll bet they don't sit around for months, like MS sometimes does,
    > before releasing a patch for a hole they know about.


    MS don't 'sit around for months' - they test the patches first! (in
    real-life situations!!!) - when all looks good, then they release the patch
    to the world (with appropriate caveats) - can you say the same for your
    hackers?


    >
    >> ALL OS's have vulnerabilities - it's just that there are more people
    >> looking
    >> for them on Windows. (after all, why kill the OS that you claim is better
    >> than the one you dislike?)

    >
    > No argument there. But that doesn't disprove my statement that the best
    > antivirus is the use of a non-MS operating system (to which you
    > responded, above). *Why* MS is much more targeted doesn't change the
    > fact that it *is*; and the question was about *avoidance*, not the
    > politics of creating malware.


    Avoidance is a very different kettle of fish to 'less vulnerable'!! - if
    Linux/Mac had the same number of script kiddies after them as Windows, then
    you might revise your opinion!!
    Already, we're beginning to see that perhaps alternative browsers are not
    such a good idea - FireFox (often touted as the cure-all for IE's problems)
    has had to release patches for vulnerabilites.... Why? - because people are
    learning how to use (and break)it! - and it currently has less than 6% of
    the browser market!!!

    The 'politics' of creating malware are somehting that I will never discuss
    (partly, perhaps, because I don't believe there is any 'politics' involves -
    simple penis-envy, perhaps, but 'politics'??????)

    The OP didn't ask for a diatribe - or an opinion on the benefits of any
    given browser - he (I ASSume) asked for an opinion on the (supposed) merits
    of any particular AV - to which your response singularly failed to give
    answer!


    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
     
    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
    #11
  12. CheechWizard wrote:

    > help me out here young skywalkers...
    >
    > what is the bet virus protection out there??


    In addition to all the suggestions given above:

    a) dump Outlook Express in favor of ANY OTHER email client.
    b) ditto for Internet Explorer as a web browser (although you'll still need
    it for Windows updates).

    That combination alone is responsible for the vast majority of virus
    infections. I'm not saying that it alone will protect you, but it is a good
    first-line defense.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
    "The two most abundant things in the universe
    are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
     
    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 12, 2004
    #12
  13. Noel Paton wrote:

    > If you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    > perhaps a course of Vallium might help?


    > In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that may have
    > occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my responses (quite
    > apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)


    Intgerleaving them after your SIG is no help. What an idiot. <plonk>

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
     
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 12, 2004
    #13
  14. CheechWizard

    henny Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    > > If you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    > > perhaps a course of Vallium might help?

    >
    > > In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that may

    have
    > > occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my responses

    (quite
    > > apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)

    >
    > Intgerleaving them after your SIG is no help. What an idiot. <plonk>


    And he/she is a, so called, MS MVP! ;-)
     
    henny, Dec 12, 2004
    #14
  15. CheechWizard

    trout Guest

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > If you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    > perhaps a course of Vallium might help?
    >
    > In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that
    > may have occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my
    > responses (quite apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)


    Quite apart from that question (which is not something I really care
    about one way or the other) it *is* true that your signature should not
    appear immediately below a top-post, as this will cause all the
    following text to be snipped, by many clients, in the reply. You'll also
    find that many people use an add-on in OE (like OE Quotefix) to do just
    this. It really does tidy-up a longer thread.
    Also on the point of newsgroup 'custom', (since you're probably
    annoyed with me now, anyway), I may as well point out that the
    'anti-spam' addition in your email address should come *after* the "@",
    so as to not generate junk mail that has to be 'handled' by the domain.
    --
    "Now, the rest, I *am* actually snipping."
     
    trout, Dec 12, 2004
    #15
  16. CheechWizard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Noel Paton wrote:
    |
    | > If you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    | > perhaps a course of Vallium might help?
    | >
    | > In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that
    | > may have occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my
    | > responses (quite apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)
    |
    | Quite apart from that question (which is not something I really care
    | about one way or the other) it *is* true that your signature should not
    | appear immediately below a top-post, as this will cause all the
    | following text to be snipped, by many clients, in the reply. You'll also
    | find that many people use an add-on in OE (like OE Quotefix) to do just
    | this. It really does tidy-up a longer thread.
    | Also on the point of newsgroup 'custom', (since you're probably
    | annoyed with me now, anyway), I may as well point out that the
    | 'anti-spam' addition in your email address should come *after* the "@",
    | so as to not generate junk mail that has to be 'handled' by the domain.
    |
    Wow! And you didn't even cuss out the fool...I'm impressed <g>! For some
    reason too many of these "MS-MVP" people really think they're hot stuff (no
    offense Ron - you're posts are quite reasonable). Just because MS "wrote it
    that way" doesn't make it right.

    I used Quotefix for a time, but due to inconsistencies in my system it
    wasn't working quite right, so it was better to take it out and snip/bottom
    post/etc. manually. One of my holiday projects is to backup this laptop and
    reinstall the OS clean. I've been playing with too many downloads that have
    buggered the OS. I really need a third computer here that I don't care about
    trashing when I install some trashy Internet software because someone asks
    "why does this do that". Believe me - that will *never* happen with my
    *good* desktop ;o)
     
    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
    #16
  17. CheechWizard

    Noel Paton Guest

    for your benefit - since your newsreader obviously denies you the benefit of
    reading anything below the sig separator - here's the post again.... sans
    separators...

    f you can't live with the occasional top-post, that's your problem -
    perhaps a course of Vallium might help?

    In deference to your obvious inability to remember something that may have
    occurred more than a few seconds ago, I'll interleave my responses (quite
    apart from which - it'll make more sense that way!)


    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > (I didn't snip this heavily; the top poster's sig being before the rest
    > of the message is at fault for that.)
    >
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> You obviously have got the latest release of the Mac OSX updates then -
    >> with patches for all the many vulnerabilities it contains?
    >>:)

    >
    > 1. Not according to my headers.


    True - my bad!

    >
    > 2. I'll bet they don't sit around for months, like MS sometimes does,
    > before releasing a patch for a hole they know about.


    MS don't 'sit around for months' - they test the patches first! (in
    real-life situations!!!) - when all looks good, then they release the patch
    to the world (with appropriate caveats) - can you say the same for your
    hackers?


    >
    >> ALL OS's have vulnerabilities - it's just that there are more people
    >> looking
    >> for them on Windows. (after all, why kill the OS that you claim is better
    >> than the one you dislike?)

    >
    > No argument there. But that doesn't disprove my statement that the best
    > antivirus is the use of a non-MS operating system (to which you
    > responded, above). *Why* MS is much more targeted doesn't change the
    > fact that it *is*; and the question was about *avoidance*, not the
    > politics of creating malware.


    Avoidance is a very different kettle of fish to 'less vulnerable'!! - if
    Linux/Mac had the same number of script kiddies after them as Windows, then
    you might revise your opinion!!
    Already, we're beginning to see that perhaps alternative browsers are not
    such a good idea - FireFox (often touted as the cure-all for IE's problems)
    has had to release patches for vulnerabilites.... Why? - because people are
    learning how to use (and break)it! - and it currently has less than 6% of
    the browser market!!!

    The 'politics' of creating malware are somehting that I will never discuss
    (partly, perhaps, because I don't believe there is any 'politics' involves -
    simple penis-envy, perhaps, but 'politics'??????)

    The OP didn't ask for a diatribe - or an opinion on the benefits of any
    given browser - he (I ASSume) asked for an opinion on the (supposed) merits
    of any particular AV - to which your response singularly failed to give
    answer!


    >
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
     
    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
    #17
  18. CheechWizard

    °Mike° Guest

    MS-MVP? <Shakes head in disbelief>


    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:53:30 +0000 (UTC), in
    <cpii5a$qdi$>
    Noel Paton scrawled:

    >for your benefit - since your newsreader obviously denies you the benefit of
    >reading anything below the sig separator - here's the post again.... sans
    >separators...


    <snip>

    >Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)


    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
     
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2004
    #18
  19. CheechWizard

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    [snip]

    > Wow! And you didn't even cuss out the fool...I'm impressed <g>! For
    > some reason too many of these "MS-MVP" people really think they're
    > hot stuff (no offense Ron - you're posts are quite reasonable). Just
    > because MS "wrote it that way" doesn't make it right.


    Sometimes, true. But I can also sympathize with annoyance with the
    Penguin People that wander the newsgroups with a soup-box tucked under
    their little wings.

    > I used Quotefix for a time, but due to inconsistencies in my system it
    > wasn't working quite right, so it was better to take it out and
    > snip/bottom post/etc. manually.


    I found that the secret for me (and how often is *this* true) was to
    stop 'updating' versions that worked.

    > One of my holiday projects is to
    > backup this laptop and reinstall the OS clean. I've been playing with
    > too many downloads that have buggered the OS. I really need a third
    > computer here that I don't care about trashing when I install some
    > trashy Internet software because someone asks "why does this do
    > that". Believe me - that will *never* happen with my
    > *good* desktop ;o)


    The love/hate relationship continues with this old, under-powered,
    under-resourced bucket of crap. Like a comfy pair of shoes that haven't
    *quite* fallen apart yet.
    --
    "I wonder what *this* will do.... .....uh oh."
     
    trout, Dec 12, 2004
    #19
  20. CheechWizard

    trout Guest

    trout wrote:

    > Sometimes, true. But I can also sympathize with annoyance with the
    > Penguin People that wander the newsgroups with a soup-box tucked under
    > their little wings.


    That would, of course, be "soap-box".
    --
    "Although the littlest ones *would* fit on a box of 'Cup-O-Soup'."
     
    trout, Dec 12, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Virus protection

    , Oct 30, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    498
    zeddock
    Dec 2, 2004
  2. Phil B

    Virus, Virus, Virus.....

    Phil B, Sep 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    574
    DaveW
    Sep 22, 2003
  3. Thomas Edison

    What is the best anti virus protection in the universe?

    Thomas Edison, Jan 4, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    2,056
    Sky King
    Jan 14, 2005
  4. Peter Maurice Cram

    Norton virus protection shutsdown - virus?

    Peter Maurice Cram, Sep 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    631
    WebWalker
    Sep 12, 2004
  5. huck

    Best FREE Anti Virus protection

    huck, Sep 3, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    701
    Fuzzy Logic
    Sep 9, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page