    Thanks,
    --
    Michaelntalla

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Michaelntalla wrote:
    > I recently built my home computer and installed x64 as the OS. When I went
    > to install the anti-virus software it told me that it was not compatible with
    > the OS. After doing some research I found out that neither McAfee or Norton
    > have any X64 support software.
    >
    > To the gurus at Microsoft where is the anit-virus software support.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Free for personal use, and better than either Symantec or McAfee, in my
    opinion:

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 1, 2006

  3. There is also AVG and NOD 32. If you want a more commercial solution,
    Symantec AV 10, Macfee Enterprise 8 and eTrust from CA is also compatible,
    version 7.1
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Im using Avast - and have recently received returned emails on my X64 machine
    at home using my ISP email, that I did not send (not from random mail systems
    either, my work servers which are AV and firewalled to the tilt). Im
    wondering if im infected and if so therefore question the quality of Avast.

    Just something to think about. Never had this problem on XP 32bit running PC
    Cillin from Trend.

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Feb 1, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    That makes 2 now. Have you per chance run a virus scan on the system using
    another product? I recall that the eTrust 64-bit version had a trial at one
    time.
    I miss TrendMicro on x64 also. I have used it over a decade on my systems
    with no problems. Updates frequently (several times a day at times) unlike
    other consumer products that only update once a week.

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Maybe this one , if so you have 2 days before the next mailing.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Warns_Over_Mywife_Worm/1138742533

    John Barnes, Feb 1, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=

    BSchwarz Guest

    I used AVG and Avast. Went with Nod32 and I have to say it works well.
    was a Norton user for years. I am glad that it didn't install for me.
    would have never realized how unobtrusive an AV could be otherwise

    --
    BSchwar

    BSchwarz, Feb 1, 2006
  8. Thanks for the help John, appreciated. Ill look into it (before the 3rd of
    the month!!)

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Feb 1, 2006
  9. Nick wrote:
    > Im using Avast - and have recently received returned emails on my X64 machine
    > at home using my ISP email, that I did not send (not from random mail systems
    > either, my work servers which are AV and firewalled to the tilt). Im
    > wondering if im infected and if so therefore question the quality of Avast.

    In all likelihood, there's nothing wrong with your computer. What
    does your antivirus application report? To whom have you granted access
    through your firewall?

    The way many mass emailing worms work is that they send out emails
    from the infected machine to every address it finds, and it randomly
    selects one of those found addresses to place in the "from" fields.
    What this means is that someone else who has your email address in
    his/her contact list is actually the infected party. You might consider
    advising everyone with who you've recently corresponded that they should
    all perform virus scans.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 2, 2006
  10. Thanks Bruce. I initially suspected this but as my X86 laptop feeding of the
    same Wifi connection and same Outlook client and email address running PC
    Cillin does not ever get these, I suspected the X64 machine / Avast combo.

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Feb 2, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljaw==?=, Feb 2, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbG50YWxsYQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You might try running a full scan with Avast to see if anything might have
    gotten in before the virus pattern was updated. Bruce may be correct on
    some worms, but ALL viruses that I have received have been directly from
    someone I have corresponded with.

    John Barnes, Feb 2, 2006