    do the licences allow you to load onto two systems, as long as you both?

    --

    Happiness is 1000ft in a force 12
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=, Jan 3, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    Malke Guest

    DaveP wrote:

    > Hi
    > I’ve just bought my wife a laptop, and am about to set up a wireless
    > network for home. My PC is running a full suite of McAfee products,
    > do I need to load any of the virus protection onto the laptop or will
    > it be secured via the PC?
    > If I do, which I think I might. Will I need to purchase a second copy
    > or do the licences allow you to load onto two systems, as long as you
    > both?

    In a home network (Workgroup) you need a full-featured antivirus and a
    firewall running on each computer. The new laptop probably came with a
    trial version of some antivirus. Make sure you renew the subscription
    when it expires if you decide to keep the program. If the laptop did
    not come with any av preinstalled, you must buy an av program and
    install it. As for McAfee licensing, you'd have to contact them or look
    on their website for questions about their software.

    Since the new laptop has XP's Service Pack 2, it has the Windows
    Firewall. You can use that and set it to allow File & Printer Sharing
    (if desired) from the Exceptions tab in the Firewall applet.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jan 3, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    J Guest

    >> I’ve just bought my wife a laptop, and am about to set up a wireless
    >> network for home. My PC is running a full suite of McAfee products,
    >> do I need to load any of the virus protection onto the laptop or will
    >> it be secured via the PC?
    >> If I do, which I think I might. Will I need to purchase a second copy
    >> or do the licences allow you to load onto two systems, as long as you
    >> both?

    >In a home network (Workgroup) you need a full-featured antivirus and a
    >firewall running on each computer. The new laptop probably came with a
    >trial version of some antivirus. Make sure you renew the subscription
    >when it expires if you decide to keep the program. If the laptop did
    >not come with any av preinstalled, you must buy an av program and
    >install it. As for McAfee licensing, you'd have to contact them or look
    >on their website for questions about their software.

    I don't know about Macafee, but Norton products now have a unique
    id key, meaning any product may be installed one only computer

    My wife's HP desktop and HP laptop both came with 90 day versions
    of Norton Internet, with firewall and antivirus, which are easy
    to renew online when the 90 day intro is up (my home built box of
    course came with nothing, so I went to Costco and bought software)
    J, Jan 3, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    Tony Guest

    "DaveP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I've just bought my wife a laptop, and am about to set up a wireless
    > network for home. My PC is running a full suite of McAfee products, do I
    > need to load any of the virus protection onto the laptop or will it be
    > secured via the PC?
    > If I do, which I think I might. Will I need to purchase a second copy or
    > do the licences allow you to load onto two systems, as long as you both?

    Use AVG or Avast for antivirus - both free downloads and do the Job just
    fine. I personally avoid Norton products. They will slow down your PC and
    can cause no end of problems especially with Networking.
    Tony, Jan 3, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "DaveP" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I've just bought my wife a laptop, and am about to set up a wireless
    >> network for home. My PC is running a full suite of McAfee products, do I
    >> need to load any of the virus protection onto the laptop or will it be
    >> secured via the PC?
    >> If I do, which I think I might. Will I need to purchase a second copy or
    >> do the licences allow you to load onto two systems, as long as you both?
    >>

    > Use AVG or Avast for antivirus - both free downloads and do the Job just
    > fine. I personally avoid Norton products. They will slow down your PC
    > and can cause no end of problems especially with Networking.

    I have used Norton products for years, both at work and at home, on networks
    large and small. Have never encountered any slowdowns or network issues.
    Perhaps it an operator error problem.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jan 3, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    John O Guest

    >> Use AVG or Avast for antivirus - both free downloads and do the Job just
    >> fine. I personally avoid Norton products. They will slow down your PC
    >> and can cause no end of problems especially with Networking.
    >>

    > I have used Norton products for years, both at work and at home, on
    > networks large and small. Have never encountered any slowdowns or network
    > issues. Perhaps it an operator error problem.

    Over the years the Norton automatic tools have been to blame for many
    application slowdowns--some very dramatic. I'm sure it works like you say it
    does, but blaming a user is maybe a little harsh. IOW, forgetting to turn
    off some real-time feature that a tytpical newbie wouldn't ever know about.

    Among several of the MS Office newsgroups, NAV is long-known for sending
    tentacles deep into places others rarely tread. That makes troubleshooting
    conversations often start with: Turn off NAV, and what happens?

    -John O
    John O, Jan 3, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    John and Pat Guest

    Try this site. It is a free 1 year trial of ETrust EZAntivirus. I like it
    and find it to be unobtrusive and easy to use. I believe the 1 year trial is
    a full non-limited version.

    http://www.my-etrust.com/SubscriptCenter/MSTrialRegistration.aspx

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat, Jan 3, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=

    Kevin Agard Guest

    John O wrote:
    >>>Use AVG or Avast for antivirus - both free downloads and do the Job just
    >>>fine. I personally avoid Norton products. They will slow down your PC
    >>>and can cause no end of problems especially with Networking.
    >>>

    >>I have used Norton products for years, both at work and at home, on
    >>networks large and small. Have never encountered any slowdowns or network
    >>issues. Perhaps it an operator error problem.
    >>

    > Over the years the Norton automatic tools have been to blame for many
    > application slowdowns--some very dramatic. I'm sure it works like you say it
    > does, but blaming a user is maybe a little harsh. IOW, forgetting to turn
    > off some real-time feature that a tytpical newbie wouldn't ever know about.
    >
    > Among several of the MS Office newsgroups, NAV is long-known for sending
    > tentacles deep into places others rarely tread. That makes troubleshooting
    > conversations often start with: Turn off NAV, and what happens?
    >
    > -John O

    It's not just Word. NAV is NOTORIOUS in the WordPerfect community for
    not playing nice with others.
    Kevin Agard, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Many thanks i will give them a try.
    --