    browser.
    Brad

    be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
    Brad, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Brad

    Mike Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computers have never been infected, but I have been the target of
    > many attacks via email. For all my email, I use an old Win 3.1 laptop with
    > Forte "Agent", an offline email and newsgroups reader. I never visit a site
    > in an email message, unless it is a site recommended by someone I know, after
    > I confirm with that person, he/she sent me the email. I never open an email
    > attachment, unless.... (see above).
    >
    > When surfing the web (dial up), I use a Win 98 computer and Netscape
    > browser.
    > Brad
    >
    > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    > be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

    You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    --

    ------------------------------------

    Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
    blacklisted,
    submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.
    Mike, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Mike spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <ciem7r$fq2$>
    <snip>
    > You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    Yeah. I see your point...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_n0i, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Brad

    Lee Higdon Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Brad wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My computers have never been infected, but I have been the target of
    >> many attacks via email. For all my email, I use an old Win 3.1
    >> laptop with
    >> Forte "Agent", an offline email and newsgroups reader. I never visit
    >> a site
    >> in an email message, unless it is a site recommended by someone I
    >> know, after
    >> I confirm with that person, he/she sent me the email. I never open an
    >> email
    >> attachment, unless.... (see above).
    >>
    >> When surfing the web (dial up), I use a Win 98 computer and Netscape
    >> browser.
    >> Brad
    >>
    >> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    >> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
    >>

    > You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    So, you're thinking gender metamorphosis?
    Lee Higdon, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Brad

    Big Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:44:43 +0100, Mike <> wrote:

    >Brad wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My computers have never been infected, but I have been the target of
    >> many attacks via email. For all my email, I use an old Win 3.1 laptop with
    >> Forte "Agent", an offline email and newsgroups reader. I never visit a site
    >> in an email message, unless it is a site recommended by someone I know, after
    >> I confirm with that person, he/she sent me the email. I never open an email
    >> attachment, unless.... (see above).
    >>
    >> When surfing the web (dial up), I use a Win 98 computer and Netscape
    >> browser.
    >> Brad
    >>
    >> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    >> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
    >>

    >You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    His post is brief, coherent, and makes no reference to nonexistent publications.

    Not the nameless one.
    Big Johnson, Sep 17, 2004
  6. "Big Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:44:43 +0100, Mike <> wrote:
    >
    > >Brad wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> My computers have never been infected, but I have been the target

    of
    > >> many attacks via email. For all my email, I use an old Win 3.1 laptop

    with
    > >> Forte "Agent", an offline email and newsgroups reader. I never visit

    a site
    > >> in an email message, unless it is a site recommended by someone I know,

    after
    > >> I confirm with that person, he/she sent me the email. I never open an

    email
    > >> attachment, unless.... (see above).
    > >>
    > >> When surfing the web (dial up), I use a Win 98 computer and

    Netscape
    > >> browser.
    > >> Brad
    > >>
    > >> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    > >> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
    > >>

    > >You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    > His post is brief, coherent, and makes no reference to nonexistent

    publications.

    Hmm. But makes about as much sense..

    The only question in my mind is to why the OP turns on his machine in the
    first place..? After all, if each email needs to be confirmed (presumably by
    phone), then why not just make a phone call? ;o)

    Mind you - good security tip in there - if you stick to using an old version
    of Nutscrape, then there's plenty of time to look at a message being
    downloaded, make a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, and still stop it
    mid-download..

    <dons Nomex suit> ;o)

    (Mental note - must get around to seeing if DOS/Win 3 will /really/ fly on
    modern hardware, and to remind myself what *working* PnP looked like..)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Brad

    Big Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:53:07 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Big Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >of

    >with

    >a site

    >after

    >email

    >Netscape

    >> >You see what happens when someone mentions "She who must not be named"?

    >> His post is brief, coherent, and makes no reference to nonexistent

    >publications.
    >
    >Hmm. But makes about as much sense..
    >
    >The only question in my mind is to why the OP turns on his machine in the
    >first place..? After all, if each email needs to be confirmed (presumably by
    >phone), then why not just make a phone call? ;o)

    Saying that he confirms each email before visiting a site in an email message is
    not saying that he confirms each email. He's saying that anytime he visits a
    site in an email message, he confirms first that a person who he knows actually
    sent the email.

    "A implies B" does not equal "B implies A".

    There are other ways of confirming too.

    And confirming an email by phone is indeed much easier than calling, and trying
    to spell out a URL during a call. Try it once and see. B-P
    Big Johnson, Sep 18, 2004
  8. "Big Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:53:07 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]>

    wrote:

    <snip>

    > And confirming an email by phone is indeed much easier than calling, and

    trying
    > to spell out a URL during a call. Try it once and see. B-P

    Probably only five or six times a week ;o)

    Complex URLs should always contain
    "tee-ei-en-why-yoo-are-el-dot-see-oh-em-slash"..

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Brad

    Big Johnson Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:54:42 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Big Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:53:07 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]>

    >wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> And confirming an email by phone is indeed much easier than calling, and

    >trying
    >> to spell out a URL during a call. Try it once and see. B-P

    >Probably only five or six times a week ;o)
    >
    >Complex URLs should always contain
    >"tee-ei-en-why-yoo-are-el-dot-see-oh-em-slash"..

    I copy and paste URLs into my outgoing email. My friends do the same. We don't
    use TinyURL DOT com.

    We prefer to trade URLs, and archive them, in our email, rather than trust
    TinyURL to archive them. And we use authenticating clues so verifying by email
    is not always required. B==P
    Big Johnson, Sep 19, 2004

    wrote:

    > >"Big Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:53:07 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"

    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > ><snip>
    > >
    > >> And confirming an email by phone is indeed much easier than calling,

    and
    > >trying
    > >> to spell out a URL during a call. Try it once and see. B-P

    > >Probably only five or six times a week ;o)
    > >
    > >Complex URLs should always contain
    > >"tee-ei-en-why-yoo-are-el-dot-see-oh-em-slash"..

    > I copy and paste URLs into my outgoing email. My friends do the same. We

    don't
    > use TinyURL DOT com.
    >
    > We prefer to trade URLs, and archive them, in our email, rather than trust
    > TinyURL to archive them. And we use authenticating clues so verifying by

    email
    > is not always required. B==P

    Phone call != email

    Don't bother with "clues", myself, as it's usually pretty obvious who the
    originator is (and what the headers mean).

    YMMV, and probably will ;o)

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Sep 20, 2004