    run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....

    ta

    RTCB

    Roger the Cabin Boy, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Roger the Cabin Boy

    tiddlywink Guest

    "Roger the Cabin Boy" <> wrote in message
    > I've got something in my desktop that is preventing me cleaning the
    > registry, installing updated antivirus software (surprise, surprise) and
    > is generally making a nusiance of itself. Short of taking it in to the
    > shop, or attempting to restore the system, is there another way into the
    > registry? Is there another fix available? Other symptoms are - can't close
    > Win Messenger, run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....
    >
    > ta
    >
    > RTCB

    Maybe try a third party registry editor had similar problem in past and that
    is what I did however
    cannot remember what programme in particular I used - was freeware - maybe
    search on that
    would find something?

    tiddlywink, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Roger the Cabin Boy

    Armpit Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:42:18 +1200, Roger the Cabin Boy wrote:

    > I've got something in my desktop that is preventing me cleaning the
    > registry, installing updated antivirus software (surprise, surprise) and is
    > generally making a nusiance of itself. Short of taking it in to the shop, or
    > attempting to restore the system, is there another way into the registry? Is
    > there another fix available? Other symptoms are - can't close Win Messenger,
    > run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....

    copy regedit.exe and name it regedit.com

    Armpit, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Roger the Cabin Boy

    Rider Guest

    > I've got something in my desktop that is preventing me cleaning the
    > registry, installing updated antivirus software (surprise, surprise) and
    > is generally making a nusiance of itself. Short of taking it in to the
    > shop, or attempting to restore the system, is there another way into the
    > registry? Is there another fix available? Other symptoms are - can't close
    > Win Messenger, run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....
    >
    > ta
    >
    > RTCB

    Even in safe mode? Was it Swen virus that did this?

    Rider

    Rider, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Roger the Cabin Boy

    C9H8O4 Guest

    > I've got something in my desktop that is preventing me cleaning the
    > registry, installing updated antivirus software (surprise, surprise) and
    > is generally making a nusiance of itself. Short of taking it in to the
    > shop, or attempting to restore the system, is there another way into the
    > registry? Is there another fix available? Other symptoms are - can't close
    > Win Messenger, run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....
    >
    > ta
    >
    > RTCB

    it might be spybot
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    C9H8O4, Apr 20, 2005
  6. Thanks 4 the comments. I have managed to get into the registry thru the safe
    mode, cleaned it with a washer, but still the problems remain. Can't get rid
    of the Windows Messenger icon in the tray, despite having deleted it, still
    can't install the antivirus software, and a host of minor issues as well. If
    it isn't the registry, what could it be? The windows update icon appears in
    the tray, wanting me to install updates, but when i click on the icon, the
    window flashes up for a split second, then disappears. Stuff like that. Will
    tooling around with things in safe mode help?

    Hmmm

    Roger the Cabin Boy, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Roger the Cabin Boy

    C9H8O4 Guest

    > Thanks 4 the comments. I have managed to get into the registry thru the
    > safe
    > mode, cleaned it with a washer, but still the problems remain. Can't get
    > rid
    > of the Windows Messenger icon in the tray, despite having deleted it,
    > still
    > can't install the antivirus software, and a host of minor issues as well.
    > If
    > it isn't the registry, what could it be? The windows update icon appears
    > in
    > the tray, wanting me to install updates, but when i click on the icon, the
    > window flashes up for a split second, then disappears. Stuff like that.
    > Will
    > tooling around with things in safe mode help?
    >
    > Hmmm

    A friend's PC had a similar problem a while back and there was a removal
    tool at www.symantec.com which took about 2 seconds to fix the problem once
    I'd downloaded it. A couple of other things to try would be downloading the
    MS antispyware tool from www.microsoft.com/spyware or the malicious software
    removal tool at http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
    Thinking about it some more, the latter might be a good place to start as I
    think it's updated regularly to include new malware variants.

    Good luck

    C9H8O4, Apr 20, 2005
  8. Roger the Cabin Boy

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Roger the Cabin Boy wrote:

    > I've got something in my desktop that is preventing me cleaning the
    > registry, installing updated antivirus software (surprise, surprise) and

    is
    > generally making a nusiance of itself. Short of taking it in to the shop,

    or
    > attempting to restore the system, is there another way into the registry?

    Is
    > there another fix available? Other symptoms are - can't close Win

    Messenger,
    > run spybot software, or get into XP Help and Support.....
    >
    > ta
    >
    > RTCB

    Who needs the stress?

    http://203.79.126.82

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.

    Peter Lowrie, Apr 25, 2005
  9. The problem might not be in the registry now - unless the cleaner I got from
    PC Tools is a dud. I've cleaned it out, finally getting the safe mode to
    boot up, it found over 250 "problems", it says it fixed them all, but the
    problems remain. If it isn't the registry, what else could it be?....

    Roger the Cabin Boy, Apr 26, 2005