    I have tried type command once or twice on this, screen then displays a
    bunch of machine code with name of email contact somewhere within the code.
    Any ideas?

    Steve, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Generally files that start wit tilde (~) are temp files, are you using your
    desktop to store Word Documents or any other type (jpg/gif/etc) of file that
    creates temp files? Are you saving your post file (where Outlook stores
    messages) on your desktop maybe?

    How large is the file? try renaming it to a text file or open it with
    notepad, no harm in doing that, opening a text file does not execute any
    macros or code or anything so it is safe. Or even rename it to a jpg and
    open with a jpg viewer?

    Philip

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Here is the issue.
    > After going online and checking email(Oulook exprees), every now and then

    > get a new icon added to my screen. It is a ~ (tilde). Sometimes, it will
    > appear as a file on my command prompt screen. I have submitted this to
    > Symantec, who states there is no virus. Fine, but what the hell is it

    then?

    C. Philip Cutler II, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    It just appears. I do not download anything or store anything to desktop!

    Steve, Oct 16, 2003
  4. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:28:14 -0700, "Steve" <>
    wrote:

    >Here is the issue.
    >After going online and checking email(Oulook exprees), every now and then I
    >get a new icon added to my screen. It is a ~ (tilde). Sometimes, it will
    >appear as a file on my command prompt screen. I have submitted this to
    >Symantec, who states there is no virus. Fine, but what the hell is it then?
    >I am using Norton internet security 2003.
    >I have tried type command once or twice on this, screen then displays a
    >bunch of machine code with name of email contact somewhere within the code.
    >Any ideas?

    It's a temp copy of your Outlook Express Address book. It's a bug MS
    knows about and says they will fix "soon". You can delete it, or
    rename it and save it as a backup if you want.

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 16, 2003
  5. I seem to come up with exactly the same problem- I check my email, and there
    it is, sitting on my desktop, only it's about 177kb... I can't change it, or
    open it as something else... Most strange!!
    Graham

    graham chapman, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thank you all for your help. Now I will be concentrating on studying for
    Core in November. Is there a new Mike Meyers book coming out prior to new
    test?

    Steve, Oct 18, 2003
  7. The fifth edition is due at Amazon about the end of October, and
    according to folks at Total Seminars there will be two versons: one
    which is an update to the fourth edition, and a repackaging of the
    material which is more like a standard academic textbook. For some
    reason, this second version will cost more, and has a different title,
    which I have temporarily lost.

    Gordon Findlay, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Steve

    jonny bravo Guest

    "Kathy" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you, mhaase :) You might know another damn MS bug!

    I have been wondering about this also..thanx for the info.... it just seems
    odd that
    a bug like this gets copied to the desktop with email address list right in
    it....(open in notepad and scroll down)
    I was sure it was a virus of some sort but...hey thank bill gates for
    another POS.....

    --
    Jonny Bravo
    Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will, Some Won't...I Might...

    ---

    jonny bravo, Oct 20, 2003