    i get a virus in the guest operating system, will it affect the host
    operating system?

    , Jun 27, 2007

  2. It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:09:50 -0500, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:48:24 +0100, William Poaster <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:18:43 -0500, that as I was
    >>halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    >>> It can, quite easily, if the host isn't properly patched, etc.

    >>Depends on the OS, if it's a GNU/linux distribution it won't. :)

    > Well, yes, but here in Hicksville I'm pretty much stuck with Redmond's
    > vaporware, at least at work.
    >
    > Did you hear about Symantec's latest buffoonery?

    Do tell!

    --
    Using X-No-Archive suggests the post is of little value &
    not worth archiving. Anyone marking *all* their posts

    William Poaster, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Mara Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:33:36 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:09:50 -0500, that as I was
    >halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Did you hear about Symantec's latest buffoonery?

    >Do tell!

    They sent out a signature that detected parts of some medical software as
    malware and deleted it. Had we been running Norton and shut down our software,
    we'd have been up a creek without a paddle. I got a notice on this from the
    software author yesterday. I don't know how many other programs got hit.

    Man, I'm glad we don't run Norton. Some other places did, though, and I gather
    there was quite a mess to deal with.

    I'd sue, frankly.

    --
    <AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
    fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007
  4. It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:59:23 -0500, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:33:36 +0100, William Poaster <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:09:50 -0500, that as I was
    >>halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Did you hear about Symantec's latest buffoonery?

    >>Do tell!

    > They sent out a signature that detected parts of some medical software
    > as malware and deleted it. Had we been running Norton and shut down our
    > software, we'd have been up a creek without a paddle. I got a notice on
    > this from the software author yesterday. I don't know how many other
    > programs got hit.
    >
    > Man, I'm glad we don't run Norton. Some other places did, though, and I
    > gather there was quite a mess to deal with.
    >
    > I'd sue, frankly.

    And so they should be. IMO companies like Norton & MacAfee only get away
    with their products, by relying on the ignorance of windows users.

    --
    Vista Vs Ubuntu:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPecBxM2f6c

    William Poaster, Jun 27, 2007
  5. Mara Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:05:35 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:59:23 -0500, that as I was
    >halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:33:36 +0100, William Poaster <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:09:50 -0500, that as I was
    >>>halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>>Do tell!

    >> They sent out a signature that detected parts of some medical software
    >> as malware and deleted it. Had we been running Norton and shut down our
    >> software, we'd have been up a creek without a paddle. I got a notice on
    >> this from the software author yesterday. I don't know how many other
    >> programs got hit.
    >>
    >> Man, I'm glad we don't run Norton. Some other places did, though, and I
    >> gather there was quite a mess to deal with.
    >>
    >> I'd sue, frankly.

    >And so they should be. IMO companies like Norton & MacAfee only get away
    >with their products, by relying on the ignorance of windows users.

    And by making deals with ignorant companies to have their crapware preinstalled.

    It's all about the money. And laziness. People see it on their machine when they
    buy it and figure since it's there they don't need anything else. It never
    occurs to them that there just might be more effective AVs out there. After
    doing this so long, though, I've become too cynical to feel sorry for them.

    The information's out there. They just don't look.

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007
  6. wrote in

    > hi, I've got windows to install in VMware Server,
    > and was wondering if i get a virus in the guest
    > operating system, will it affect the host
    > operating system?

    "got windows to install..." Windows [?]? ...?

    Using VMware, so obscurity was your goal?

    That's how they investigate and analyse viruses, so
    the answer would be "not likely." But with viruses it's
    hard to give a definitive answer because that's why they
    call them viruses. Some virus writer with enough savy
    and time and knowledge of the particualrs might write
    one that could jump, but then VMware would come out
    with a version that remedied the malady... and such is
    life in teh d1g1tal whirrled.

    There's is no "i" or "us" in virus when you use protection.

    --

    If :

    Northern city-dwellers constantly mock your isolated rural heritage,
    and utilize crass stereotypes referencing your supposed appetite
    for frequent and random fornication with your own family relations,
    and scoff your easily demonstrable simple almost simian intelligence
    to further privately or openly and publically demean you...

    .... then... you *just* *might* be a "redneck"!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 27, 2007