    inform Microsoft?

    TIA

    Andy

    Andy, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Andy

    Phil B Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    news:403e3d32$...
    <snip>
    Should I somehow
    > inform Microsoft?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy

    Phone them..........., look under "M"............

    lol

    Phil.

    Phil B, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Andy

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:38:48 -0000, "Andy" <>
    wrote:

    >I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining to have
    >come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a proliferation of
    >attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or is this just me? And what
    >can I do other than keep on using antivirus software. Should I somehow
    >inform Microsoft?

    Those e-mails are not from Microsoft. Sounds like the Swen virus or
    something similar; this little gem fakes the Sender field to make it
    look like it's from Microsoft, when actually it comes from some poor
    sap who's infected with the virus already.

    Keep using your antivirus software. If you like, set up an e-mail
    filter to automatically delete those messages.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Andy

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
    > to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
    > proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
    > is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using antivirus
    > software.

    Go here and read: http://www.mailwasher.net/

    Should I somehow inform Microsoft?

    Yes, you should act immediately!!! Warning Microsoft is a matter of utmost
    importance!!
    lol !!

    Dr. Bill, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Its OK, no need to be paranoid, they aren't out to get you, specifically!

    These seems to come and go like sunspots and at the moment the solar wind is
    blowing hard.

    I assume that you don't have the preview window open (It you use Outlook)
    and would never believe anything purporting to be an email from Microsoft
    containing anything useful - it would be trickier for the virus artists if
    Microsoft actually did ever value its customers enough to email out patches.

    I wouldn't bother trying to tell Microsoft about it as I am sure that they
    are getting loads of copies to their own email addresses. And if everyone
    went about telling everyone else every time they got a virused email then
    the virus artists would get their reward - a well and truly clogged upped
    network.

    I run NAV and AVG as they seem to co-exist quite happily. even so, if I get
    a message with an attachment, I peek at it with "properties" before opening
    it. My record was 107 in one day, but then I have email addresses that are
    in public databases.

    Hope that reassures you...

    eric the seal, Feb 26, 2004
  6. "Dr. Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Andy wrote:
    > > I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
    > > to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
    > > proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
    > > is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using antivirus
    > > software.

    > Go here and read: http://www.mailwasher.net/

    ....and don't use Mailwasher's "bounce" feature.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Problems with your current host?

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Feb 26, 2004
  7. The one thing that helped me the most was never to allow the mail reader to
    download the worm in the first place. This can be done in Outlook Express
    by setting up the message rules as follows:

    Click Tools, Message Rules, Mail.
    Select New
    1. Condition, Check box "Where to or CC line contains people"
    2. Action, Check box "Stop processing more rules"
    3. Description, Click on underlined "contains people" then type in your
    email address, Then Add, and OK.
    (Select new rule # 2)
    Click New
    1. Condition, Check box "For all messages"
    2. Action, Check box "Delete from server"
    Click ok, apply now, apply now, ok ,close, ok.

    This will cause the mail reader only to accept mail addressed directly to
    you and delete all others from the server. It also deletes mail sent to you
    if the sender sent it using the BCC field to address you and others blocking
    the others addresses from you. If this is a concern the following should
    work.

    The following info also came from Paul[MSFT]

    Some people may want to occasionally review deleted messages to verify that
    nothing legit is being filtered out. If this interests you, you could
    modify the second step in Rule 2 to "Delete It" or "Move to Folder" rather
    than deleting it from the server. Then you could occasionally scan the
    messages in the deleted items folder or other folder for legit email.

    Better yet,

    There's a freeware program Magic Mail Monitor 3, that continually monitors
    mail boxes and allows deleting from server or flagging the infected mail
    only,
    it and it's required filter is available via the following link:

    http://nakawe.sourceforge.net/MMM3/

    Patrick

    Patrick Casher, Feb 26, 2004
  8. It was on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:38:48 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Andy wrote:

    > I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining to
    > have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a proliferation of
    > attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or is this just me? And
    > what can I do other than keep on using antivirus software.

    Yes, use another OS.

    > Should I somehow inform Microsoft?

    Would they take any notice?

    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    Using linux @ home since 1998

    William Poaster, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Andy

    Linda Guest

    "eric the seal" <> wrote in message
    > Its OK, no need to be paranoid, they aren't out to get you, specifically!
    >
    > These seems to come and go like sunspots and at the moment the solar wind

    is
    > blowing hard.
    >
    > I assume that you don't have the preview window open (It you use Outlook)
    > and would never believe anything purporting to be an email from Microsoft
    > containing anything useful - it would be trickier for the virus artists

    if
    > Microsoft actually did ever value its customers enough to email out

    patches.

    Although I agree that Microsoft as an organisation don't give a damn about
    the average user, if Microsoft emailed patches to all users of Microsoft
    products, a whole bunch of ISPs from around the world would get really
    annoyed when their mail server was swamped with emails from Microsoft, all
    containing patches or hotfixes or Microsoft products.

    Linda, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Andy

    Linda Guest

    Welcome to the 2/3's of the planet that get them.

    Linda, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Hi Andy,

    Yes, My system did suffer due to that.

    You also need to be inform that virus didn't came from MS although it might
    appear.

    I know Outlook express have an excellement tool to deal with those
    attachments.

    Which email program are you using?

    In case you are Outlook or Outlook Express, do the following:

    1) create a folder name as Virus
    2) Access Message Rules from Tools menu
    3) select Mail

    4) Press New button
    5) Enter rule name as Virus

    6) Select the following condition: Message that contains attatchments
    7) Select following action: Move to specified folder, the one you created in
    step 1
    8) Press Apply now
    9) Simply Select new rule you've created or press select all and then Apply.

    All incoming emails with attachment will go to virus folder and when you see
    message from MS with attachment, you can safely delete those.

    If you are using other email programs simply refer to help files.

    I hope this will help

    Phil

    Phillip Normand, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Andy

    Dr. Bill Guest

    William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:38:48 +0000, just as I was halfway
    > through a large jam doughnut, that Andy wrote:
    >
    >> I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
    >> to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
    >> proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
    >> is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using
    >> antivirus software.

    > Yes, use another OS.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH, the stoneage OS for sure! Linux makes you stupid!
    http://lwn.net/security

    Dr. Bill, Feb 28, 2004
  13. Andy

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Linda wrote:
    > Welcome to the 2/3's of the planet that get them.

    I'm not getting any, send me one!

    Dr. Bill, Feb 28, 2004
  14. Michael,

    Yes an good antivirus will good.

    However, rule that I've been applying from my previous post is for following
    reasons:

    1) Some people cannot afford to purchase antiviru.
    2) When those people sees something in virus folder, then it up to them not
    saving or opening attachment from person he doesn't know.

    Phil

    Phillip Normand, Feb 28, 2004
  15. Andy

    anthonyberet Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > I've received 10 infected emails in the last 3 days, all pertaining
    > to have come from Microsoft. Are any of you suffering such a
    > proliferation of attacks (in otherwords is this a general state) or
    > is this just me? And what can I do other than keep on using antivirus
    > software. Should I somehow inform Microsoft?

    You look as though you are using your real email address to post here.
    This group is regularly harvested for addresses to send viruses to.
    You should perhaps use the filters in your email software to get rid of them
    (use the subject lines to filter with -filtering the sender addresses will
    do no good).
    -you might want to consider getting a new email address now that your has
    been exposed and "mung" your new address before posting here again:

    anthonyberet, Feb 28, 2004
  16. Phillip Normand wrote:

    > Hi Andy,
    > Yes, My system did suffer due to that.
    > You also need to be inform that virus didn't came from MS although it might
    > appear.
    > I know Outlook express have an excellement tool to deal with those
    > attachments.

    1/2 the problem is the lack of security in MS-Outlook Express... or
    being too tightly wrapped with MS-Windows... But we all knew that...

    > Which email program are you using?
    > In case you are Outlook or Outlook Express, do the following:
    >
    > 1) create a folder name as Virus
    > 2) Access Message Rules from Tools menu
    > 3) select Mail
    > 4) Press New button
    > 5) Enter rule name as Virus
    > 6) Select the following condition:

    The rule you're suggesting will move *all* email with an attachment,
    even if legit, to a folder with viral email - not a great way to run it.

    If the OP is still following this thread...

    Change the filter to search email "From" fields for "microsoft.com" and
    move them to your virus folder.

    In the mean time, I *highly* suggest getting a decent antivirus (check
    out Download.com for some), and while you're at it, get away from MS
    mail programs; get something (anything!) else. (I use Mozilla, but
    that's my preference.)

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 28, 2004
  17. Andy

    Sandy Guest

    Curious on two points. Years ago, Microsoft sent e-mail. Is it now the
    case that Microsoft does not send any e-mail, so that all e-mail "from
    Microsoft" is suspect and should be deleted?

    And, for users of Mozilla and Netscape/Communicator, is it still the
    case with all e-mail attack threats so far created that it is impossible
    to get any virus, worm, trojan, etc if you do not purposely open any
    attachement? It is my understanding that simply viewing the mail message
    body is harmless due to the structure of those programs, unlike that of
    Outlook. I am on a family member's computer now with Communicator, no
    anti-virus, and no signs of virus damage in 7 years of operation. It
    does get some spams including some with viruses identified on other
    computers by antivirus scans, but (knock on wood) they have all been
    stopped at the door by
    Communicator as far as we can tell.

    Sandy

    Sandy, Feb 28, 2004
  18. Yes, Blinky Avg is only of them. However, it does't scan attachments before
    receipt. Believe me, I try it before.

    AVG can only delete virus from attachment when do attemp to save or open it.

    Phil

    Phillip Normand, Feb 28, 2004

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2004
  20. Andy

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:54:10 -0500, Sandy <"not really"@nothere.net> wrote:

    >Curious on two points. Years ago, Microsoft sent e-mail. Is it now the
    >case that Microsoft does not send any e-mail, so that all e-mail "from
    >Microsoft" is suspect and should be deleted?

    Microsoft never send attachments.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 29, 2004