Virus BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by geopelia, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I got BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.
    I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my technician
    thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
    update.
    It was in the Restore part, and he has removed it. There were two of them,
    A0584423.CPY[ and A0584426.CPY[
    It doesn't seem to be in any of the websites where I looked for it,
    e.g.xtra, symantec etc. Trust me to catch something nobody else knows about!
    PC-cillin sent removal instructions, but they included deleting a file my
    computer doesn't have, so I got an expert to deal with it. I haven't a clue
    myself.

    Just in case anyone else got an email with what one indignant person
    described as
    "your XXX Porn", it wasn't really from me! Please accept my apologies.
    Maybe all the advertisements for porn I'm getting are from unsuspecting
    people with this virus too.
    They're barking up the wrong tree, I'm 75.
    Apart from that, I don't think the virus has done any harm.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 7, 2004

  2. geopelia

    °Mike° Guest

    This one?

    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SPYBOT.BB

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:04:51 +1200, in
    <0D5xc.1466$>
    geopelia scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 7, 2004

  3. geopelia

    reid decker Guest

    You are not alone. I keep getting "returned mail" messages
    supposedly showing a recipient I don't know or want to know, from some
    yayhoo who thinks he's smart and uses my email address to claim I sent a
    virus. This SOB should grow up and mind his own business.

    reid decker, Jun 8, 2004
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > This one?

    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SPYBOT.
    BB

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    That looks like the one. It's been removed now.

    I don't know how it managed to get in past PC-cillin though.

    Thank you, I'll save those websites, but I think I will leave removing
    things like this to the experts until I learn a bit more about computers.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 8, 2004
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "reid decker" <> wrote in message
    > You are not alone. I keep getting "returned mail" messages
    > supposedly showing a recipient I don't know or want to know, from some
    > yayhoo who thinks he's smart and uses my email address to claim I sent a
    > virus. This SOB should grow up and mind his own business.
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > > I got BKDR_SPYBOT.BB.
    > > I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my

    > technician
    > > thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
    > > update.
    > > It was in the Restore part, and he has removed it. There were two of

    them,
    > > A0584423.CPY[ and A0584426.CPY[
    > > It doesn't seem to be in any of the websites where I looked for it,
    > > e.g.xtra, symantec etc. Trust me to catch something nobody else knows

    > about!
    > > PC-cillin sent removal instructions, but they included deleting a file

    my
    > > computer doesn't have, so I got an expert to deal with it. I haven't a

    > clue
    > > myself.
    > >
    > > Just in case anyone else got an email with what one indignant person
    > > described as
    > > "your XXX Porn", it wasn't really from me! Please accept my apologies.
    > > Maybe all the advertisements for porn I'm getting are from unsuspecting
    > > people with this virus too.
    > > They're barking up the wrong tree, I'm 75.
    > > Apart from that, I don't think the virus has done any harm.
    > > Geopelia

    It's all very well these idiots sending porn to people like me, too old to
    worry, but what if there are children in the recipient's family?
    One good thing, there doesn't seem to be any child porn included, thank
    goodness. I'm just sorry for the girls who have to do that for a living.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 8, 2004
  6. geopelia

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:30:47 +1200, in
    <4E8xc.1552$>
    geopelia scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> This one?
    >>

    >http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SPYBOT.
    >BB
    >>

    >http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html
    >>

    >That looks like the one. It's been removed now.
    >
    >I don't know how it managed to get in past PC-cillin though.
    >
    >Thank you, I'll save those websites, but I think I will leave removing
    >things like this to the experts until I learn a bit more about computers.
    >Geopelia

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 8, 2004
  7. geopelia

    Plato Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my technician
    > thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
    > update.

    You dont need to open attachments these days to install a virus. Even if
    you are using a plain text non-ms email program. Simply reading/clicking
    on an email from an unknown can put a virus on your system.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 8, 2004
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't open attachments and I have PC-cillin up to date, but my

    technician
    > > thinks it is a new one that got in before PC-cillin could send out an
    > > update.

    > You dont need to open attachments these days to install a virus. Even if
    > you are using a plain text non-ms email program. Simply reading/clicking
    > on an email from an unknown can put a virus on your system.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thank you
    That website is much too advanced for me.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 8, 2004