VirtualPC on XP x64 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by William Levra-Juillet, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I "upgraded" to Windows XP x64 edition recently.
    But I really miss VirtualPC.
    Any idea when a 64bits version will be available ?

    Thank you very much
    William Levra-Juillet
    MS certified partner
    http://www.wildup.net
     
    William Levra-Juillet, Sep 21, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nobody knows. It needs a service pack for the 64-bit drivers.

    If you are desperate, VMWare 5
    http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html works under x64 and
    there is a beta of VMWare 5.5 http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/ which
    has a few problems.


    "William Levra-Juillet" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I "upgraded" to Windows XP x64 edition recently.
    > But I really miss VirtualPC.
    > Any idea when a 64bits version will be available ?
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > William Levra-Juillet
    > MS certified partner
    > http://www.wildup.net
    >
     
    Dominic Payer, Sep 21, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Virtual Server 2005 beta is compatible with x64:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "William Levra-Juillet" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I "upgraded" to Windows XP x64 edition recently.
    > But I really miss VirtualPC.
    > Any idea when a 64bits version will be available ?
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > William Levra-Juillet
    > MS certified partner
    > http://www.wildup.net
    >
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 21, 2005
    #3
  4. As others have pointed out, not any time soon enough that they've announced
    something. I'm running Virtual Server R2 on some machines, and VMWare
    Workstation on some others. There are things I like/dislike about both, but
    I'd have to say that VMWare is certainly more flexible and has better
    hardware support. (and no one could love the Virtual Server interface!) But
    VS has the edge in performance, in my not particularly scientific
    experience.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    William Levra-Juillet wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I "upgraded" to Windows XP x64 edition recently.
    > But I really miss VirtualPC.
    > Any idea when a 64bits version will be available ?
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > William Levra-Juillet
    > MS certified partner
    > http://www.wildup.net
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 21, 2005
    #4
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >As others have pointed out, not any time soon enough that they've
    >announced something. I'm running Virtual Server R2 on some machines, and
    >VMWare Workstation on some others. There are things I like/dislike about
    >both, but I'd have to say that VMWare is certainly more flexible and has
    >better hardware support. (and no one could love the Virtual Server
    >interface!) But VS has the edge in performance, in my not particularly
    >scientific experience.


    Well, I quite like the VS interface - not sure I'd go as far as love
    though... <g>

    I just wish I could see how to be able to cut/paste between VS VMs and the
    host.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 22, 2005
    #5
  6. Ah, that one's easy. Use Remote Desktop into the VM machine. ;)

    That's actually how I connect to all my VMs. Once they're up and running, I
    close down the VS web site, and just open remote desktop to each of the
    machines. Now I have a consistent interface that behaves better across them
    all. I only use the VMRC or VS interfaces when I need to do startup/shutdown
    or system maintenance of some sort that happens before RDP is available.

    But I'm learning to like VMWare, I must say.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >
    >> As others have pointed out, not any time soon enough that they've
    >> announced something. I'm running Virtual Server R2 on some machines, and
    >> VMWare Workstation on some others. There are things I like/dislike about
    >> both, but I'd have to say that VMWare is certainly more flexible and has
    >> better hardware support. (and no one could love the Virtual Server
    >> interface!) But VS has the edge in performance, in my not particularly
    >> scientific experience.

    >
    > Well, I quite like the VS interface - not sure I'd go as far as love
    > though... <g>
    >
    > I just wish I could see how to be able to cut/paste between VS VMs and the
    > host.
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 22, 2005
    #6
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >Ah, that one's easy. Use Remote Desktop into the VM machine. ;)
    >
    >That's actually how I connect to all my VMs. Once they're up and running,
    >I close down the VS web site, and just open remote desktop to each of the
    >machines. Now I have a consistent interface that behaves better across
    >them all. I only use the VMRC or VS interfaces when I need to do
    >startup/shutdown or system maintenance of some sort that happens before
    >RDP is available.


    Ah, I keep most of mine isolated as far as networking is concerned. But
    for the ones that aren't, that might be a possibility. Although since it's
    a laptop, the IPs aren't always be the same...

    >
    >But I'm learning to like VMWare, I must say.


    I must get an updated version - I only have v4.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 22, 2005
    #7
  8. I have 3 NICs on this laptop. One network is for VMs only and is physically
    separate from my SBS network. And since I have one (or more) of the VMs
    doing DHCP and DNS, it's no problem finding the virtual machines. (Though
    most of them, being servers, are actually at fixed IP addresses anyway.)

    V5 is much better, and v5.5 adds support for x64 guests as well as hosts.
    But still only in beta.


    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP] wrote:
    > Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, that one's easy. Use Remote Desktop into the VM machine. ;)
    >>
    >> That's actually how I connect to all my VMs. Once they're up and running,
    >> I close down the VS web site, and just open remote desktop to each of the
    >> machines. Now I have a consistent interface that behaves better across
    >> them all. I only use the VMRC or VS interfaces when I need to do
    >> startup/shutdown or system maintenance of some sort that happens before
    >> RDP is available.

    >
    > Ah, I keep most of mine isolated as far as networking is concerned. But
    > for the ones that aren't, that might be a possibility. Although since it's
    > a laptop, the IPs aren't always be the same...
    >
    >>
    >> But I'm learning to like VMWare, I must say.

    >
    > I must get an updated version - I only have v4.
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kurt Hudson [MVP]

    Virtual PC questions (see microsoft.public.virtualpc)

    Kurt Hudson [MVP], Apr 28, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    928
    Kurt Hudson [MVP]
    Apr 28, 2004
  2. Daniel Herrmann

    Upgrading x64 evaluation with full version of x64 prof?

    Daniel Herrmann, Jun 21, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    502
    Daniel Herrmann
    Jun 21, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFsY29sbQ==?=

    X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFsY29sbQ==?=, May 24, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    509
    Joseph Conway [MSFT]
    May 25, 2005
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    530
    Vanguard
    Aug 13, 2007
  5. Max

    Win7 64 - virtualPC and parallel port

    Max, May 17, 2010, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,452
Loading...

Share This Page