Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    windows-7-professional-and-ulti

    Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
    they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
    virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
    a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
    won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
    the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
    individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
    example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
    sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
    if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
    much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
    the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
    now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Dave Doe

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-04-26, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    >> windows-7-professional-and-ulti

    >> Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
    >> they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
    >> virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
    >> a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
    >> won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
    >> the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
    >> individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
    >> example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
    >> sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
    >> if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
    >> much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
    >> the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
    >> now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

    > Wow, sounds almost like what Apple did by allowing old 68K software to
    > run seemlessly on PPC, OS9 Apps to run in OSX, and PPC code to run on
    > Intel based Macs. This "awsome feature" was done 10 years ago.

    Yes, but who remembers? MS once again is marketing technology, as Apple has
    done. Nothing new, just a new cover

    Gordon, Apr 26, 2009

  3. Dave Doe

    Guest

    Re: Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional andUltimate users

    On Apr 26, 2:27 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    > windows-7-professional-and-ulti

    > Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
    > they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
    > virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
    > a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
    > won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
    > the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
    > individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
    > example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
    > sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
    > if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
    > much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
    > the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
    > now, hit up the read link for a gallery.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    I working URL would be nice.

    regards

    Thing

    , Apr 27, 2009
  4. Dave Doe

    On Apr 27, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    > On Apr 26, 2:27 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >

    > >http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    > > windows-7-professional-and-ulti

    > > Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
    > > they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
    > > virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
    > > a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
    > > won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
    > > the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
    > > individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
    > > example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
    > > sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
    > > if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
    > > much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
    > > the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
    > > now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > I working URL would be nice.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    , Apr 27, 2009
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users

    In article <4d67424b-5781-4632-8977-fe0f60259f84
    @w35g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Apr 26, 2:27 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    > > windows-7-professional-and-ulti

    > > Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
    > > they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
    > > virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
    > > a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
    > > won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
    > > the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
    > > individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
    > > example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
    > > sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
    > > if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
    > > much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
    > > the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
    > > now, hit up the read link for a gallery.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > I working URL would be nice.

    The URL is working.

    Here's another working URL (this is nz.comp - you can do it! :)...

    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/archive/2009/04/24/coming-
    soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 27, 2009
  6. Dave Doe

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > says...
    > > On Apr 26, 2:27 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-
    > > > windows-7-professional-and-ulti
    > > >

    > > I working URL would be nice.

    > The URL is working.
    >
    > Here's another working URL (this is nz.comp - you can do it! :)...
    >
    > http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/archive/2009/04/24/coming-
    > soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

    I think he's talking about the urls wrapping, it stops them being clickable
    in some newsreaders

    Copying and pasting the urls works in Firefox however, even if they've
    wrapped.

    Surrounding the url in angle brackets works for some newsreaders, or you can
    tinyurl the links. I now use the preview feature on tinyurl so people don't
    have to worry about getting tricked into going somewhere horrible.

    <http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-windows-7-professional-and-ulti>
    OR
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/dg7ahk

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/djm9z2