    ain't gonna happen.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 28, 2007

  2. In message <fdi83j$ocv$>, Lodi wrote:

    > I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.

    A virtual PC is just (virtual) hardware, not an OS. You still need to
    install an OS to run on the virtual hardware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Lodi

    lolinternet Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
    > I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
    > anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.

    VMWare will provide you with a virtual PC.

    You'll still have to install Windows into that virtual PC however.

    It'll give you Windows in a nice tidy sandbox, in a window on your
    Ubuntu system.

    lolinternet, Sep 28, 2007
  4. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Using Kubuntu Feisty. I have a CD from a medical reference book.
    > It's demanding that I install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
    > and something from the VB library to view the interactive lessons.
    >
    > Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
    > I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
    > anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.
    >
    > No need for anyone to suggest installing an MS operating system cos it
    > ain't gonna happen.

    You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
    you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Sep 28, 2007
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
    > you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Hi all...Thanks for the info.

    So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

    then install it, then grab my old Win98 disk and install that in VMWare.

    Do I have to do something to my Win98 disk to make it into a virtual
    operating system. I'm guessing there aren't any pre-configured virtual MS
    operating systems.

    All advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 28, 2007
  6. Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Using Kubuntu Feisty. I have a CD from a medical reference book.
    > It's demanding that I install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player
    > and something from the VB library to view the interactive lessons.
    >
    > Wine hasn't been of any use. I'm guessing I need to run a Virtual MS PC.
    > I've not had anything to do with running virtual machines before so can
    > anyone give me some pointers e.g google keywords, suitable software.
    >
    > No need for anyone to suggest installing an MS operating system cos it
    > ain't gonna happen.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    It may be more profitable to explore other applications that can display the
    files rather than emulating the entire operating system.

    What can you tell us about the files ?

    The commandline file utility should give you some information on the file if
    kubuntu recognises it at all or you may get some information by holding the
    mouse over the filename in your filemanager of choice.

    Mark Robinson, Sep 28, 2007
  7. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
    >> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Hi all...Thanks for the info.
    >
    > So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    > http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    >
    > then install it, then grab my old Win98 disk and install that in VMWare.
    >
    > Do I have to do something to my Win98 disk to make it into a virtual
    > operating system. I'm guessing there aren't any pre-configured virtual MS
    > operating systems.

    It will all become clear when you do it.....<grin>

    You install VMWare Server. Then you create a virtual machine in it. Then
    you install an OS inside the VM. To do that you boot the virtual machine
    from the Win98 CD,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Sep 28, 2007
  8. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
    >> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Hi all...Thanks for the info.
    >
    > So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    > http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

    I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Sep 28, 2007
  9. Hi there,

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Lodi wrote:
    >
    >>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:58:35 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >>> You could use VMWare Server (100+MB download), but as Lawrence says,
    >>> you'd still need to install a MS Operating System.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
    >> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    >> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    >>

    > I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    > figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...

    - VMplayer
    - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    - An example of the *.vmx config file

    With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.

    Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    well...

    http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg

    It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 28, 2007
  10. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,

    >>> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
    >>> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    >>> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    >>>

    >> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    > Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >
    > - VMplayer
    > - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    > - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    > - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >
    > With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    > be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    > with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    > works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    > get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    > the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >
    > Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    > well...
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >
    > It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...

    The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?

    I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
    Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
    server. Not all at once of course.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Sep 29, 2007
  11. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:52:55 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,

    >>> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >>> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    >> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >>
    >> - VMplayer
    >> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS - A blank VMware disk image
    >> (plenty available on the net) - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >>
    >> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will be able to
    >> boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's, with both Windows and
    >> Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It works nicely...with 1GB of real
    >> RAM I can run a 512MB VM and get pretty good performance simultaneously
    >> in the VM and on the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >>
    >> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as well...
    >>
    >> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >>
    >> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...
    >>

    > The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    > functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?
    >
    > I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
    > Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
    > server. Not all at once of course.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Hi all again....An update for posterity (and future google searches on
    Kubuntu, VMWare and 98)

    For the first time in ages (or at least for the last few weeks) I am
    seriously impressed with a piece of software.

    I ended up installing VMWare-Player as opposed to VMWare-Server for the
    rather simple reason that I couldn't get past the on-line registration
    form for VMWare-Server. I kept getting the "Please complete all required
    fields" even though I had.

    So on to plan B which was download VMWare-Player from.....
    http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

    With a combination of this page.....
    http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/linux/vmware-player-image-creation.php

    this page....

    and my old Win98 disk I quite easily managed to install Windows98.

    *Needed to save the installation CD as an iso file (used K3B)
    *Needed to modify the opening lines of the win98.vmx file (as follows)

    #!/usr/bin/vmware
    displayName = "Windows 98"
    guestOS = "win98"

    memsize = ""
    ide0:0.fileName = "20GB.vmdk"
    ide1:0.fileName = "win98se.iso"

    A few hiccups in the Win98 installation process (forgot about needing to
    fdisk and format and needed to use F2 to fix boot order for "Missing
    Operating System" error message) but apart from that was impressed with
    the ease of installation.

    So now I have a Win98 virtual machine. I just have to work out...
    * How to access my CD/DVD Drive (My Computer shows D:Drive "win98se.iso"
    instead of what is in the actual DVD drive)
    * How to access my USB slots (nothing appearing in My Computer)
    * How to get on-line
    * How to share files with my Kubuntu partition

    Will leave this for a later session cos the sun is shining and the
    outdoors is beckoning.

    Thanks to all who've given advice. Most appreciated.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 29, 2007
  12. Lodi

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Hi all again....An update for posterity (and future google searches
    > on Kubuntu, VMWare and 98)
    >
    > For the first time in ages (or at least for the last few weeks) I
    > am seriously impressed with a piece of software.

    [vmware player installagtion details snipped]

    > A few hiccups in the Win98 installation process (forgot about needing to
    > fdisk and format and needed to use F2 to fix boot order for "Missing
    > Operating System" error message) but apart from that was impressed with
    > the ease of installation.
    >
    > So now I have a Win98 virtual machine. I just have to work out...
    > * How to access my CD/DVD Drive (My Computer shows D:Drive "win98se.iso"
    > instead of what is in the actual DVD drive)

    VMware Server allows you to configure ("install") one or more virtual CD-ROM
    drives that you can freely allocate to either an ISO file or a physical
    drive. I don't know if this is possible in VMware player, though.
    That is why Cliff's advice to get VMware server is good advice. I have had
    no trouble getting registered, maybe you just need to try again? Remember
    to keep a copy of the reg code in case of upgrade/re-install.

    > * How to access my USB slots (nothing appearing in My Computer)

    I think you have to install "VMware Tools" for this. It is a package that
    comes with VMware (maybe 'Server' only?) that adds driver support to
    the 'guest' O/S (Win98 in your case). In VMware Server there is a menu
    item "Install VMware Tools" which you can invoke once the guest O/S is
    installed and booted. VMWare Tools has a Super VGA graphics driver that
    greatly improves the graphics performance.

    > * How to get on-line

    With VMware Server the default "bridged networking" mode gives you this -
    the virtual machine will be just another computer on your network.

    I suggest that you download the manual from the VMware website as it is
    pretty good and has the answer to almost all questions such as yours above.

    ps. Another comparable VM product on *nix is QEMU, I am also using this for
    Win98. Debian has a package, so Ubuntu may have it. It is command-line
    driven so it's usually best to run it from a GUI front-end such as
    qemu-launcher.

    [snip]

    Murray Symon, Sep 29, 2007
  13. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:13:16 +1200, Murray Symon wrote:

    > Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all again....An update for posterity (and future google searches on
    >> Kubuntu, VMWare and 98)
    >>
    >> For the first time in ages (or at least for the last few weeks) I am
    >> seriously impressed with a piece of software.

    > [vmware player installagtion details snipped]
    >

    >> A few hiccups in the Win98 installation process (forgot about needing
    >> to fdisk and format and needed to use F2 to fix boot order for "Missing
    >> Operating System" error message) but apart from that was impressed with
    >> the ease of installation.
    >>
    >> So now I have a Win98 virtual machine. I just have to work out... * How
    >> to access my CD/DVD Drive (My Computer shows D:Drive "win98se.iso"
    >> instead of what is in the actual DVD drive)

    > VMware Server allows you to configure ("install") one or more virtual
    > CD-ROM drives that you can freely allocate to either an ISO file or a
    > physical drive. I don't know if this is possible in VMware player,
    > though. That is why Cliff's advice to get VMware server is good advice.
    > I have had no trouble getting registered, maybe you just need to try
    > again? Remember to keep a copy of the reg code in case of
    > upgrade/re-install.
    >
    >> * How to access my USB slots (nothing appearing in My Computer)

    > I think you have to install "VMware Tools" for this. It is a package
    > that comes with VMware (maybe 'Server' only?) that adds driver support
    > to the 'guest' O/S (Win98 in your case). In VMware Server there is a
    > menu item "Install VMware Tools" which you can invoke once the guest O/S
    > is installed and booted. VMWare Tools has a Super VGA graphics driver
    > that greatly improves the graphics performance.
    >
    >> * How to get on-line

    > With VMware Server the default "bridged networking" mode gives you this
    > - the virtual machine will be just another computer on your network.
    >
    > I suggest that you download the manual from the VMware website as it is
    > pretty good and has the answer to almost all questions such as yours
    > above.
    >
    > ps. Another comparable VM product on *nix is QEMU, I am also using this
    > for Win98. Debian has a package, so Ubuntu may have it. It is
    > command-line driven so it's usually best to run it from a GUI front-end
    > such as qemu-launcher.
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >> Thanks to all who've given advice. Most appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    Hello Murray....Thanks for the advice. Before I got too deep into VMWare
    I decided to make a template vmx file at http://www.easyvmx.com and then
    use it to learn from. I modified my original generic vmx file by
    adding....

    # Settings for physical CDROM drive
    ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
    ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
    ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

    # USB settings
    # This config activates USB
    usb.present = "TRUE"
    usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"

    .....and a reboot found my DVD and USB drives.

    Going online was pretty easy. I just set up a LAN internet connection in
    Win98.

    And sharing was easy enough. I just set up File Sharing in win98 and then
    samba took care of everything else. (Konqueror > Network Folders > Samba)

    All in all a very user-friendly experience. As I said earlier I'm
    seriously impressed with the VMWare-Player software. Will certainly look
    into VMWare Tools when I have the time. Thanks for the suggestion.

    And to cap it all off, my original query was concerning a medical text
    book CD that was demanding IE and Windows Media Player. Once I had VMWare
    set up properly I put the CD in and away it went. Job done.

    Thanks to all for your advice

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 29, 2007
  14. Lodi

    Allistar Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,

    >>> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >>> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    >> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >>
    >> - VMplayer
    >> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    >> - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    >> - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >>
    >> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    >> be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    >> with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    >> works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    >> get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    >> the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >>
    >> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    >> well...
    >>
    >> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >>
    >> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...
    >>

    > The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    > functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?
    >
    > I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
    > Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
    > server. Not all at once of course.

    I have VMWare workstation and often run 3 VM's at once (XP, SLES and RHAS3)
    with no noticable impact on performance of the VMs or the host.

    I must look up what Workstation gives over Server (I assume there is some
    difference as Workstation is not free).
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Sep 29, 2007
  15. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>> Hi there,

    >>> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >>>
    >>> - VMplayer
    >>> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    >>> - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    >>> - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >>>
    >>> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    >>> be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    >>> with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    >>> works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    >>> get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    >>> the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >>>
    >>> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    >>> well...
    >>>
    >>> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >>>
    >>> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...
    >>>

    >> The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    >> functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?
    >>
    >> I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
    >> Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
    >> server. Not all at once of course.

    > I have VMWare workstation and often run 3 VM's at once (XP, SLES and RHAS3)
    > with no noticable impact on performance of the VMs or the host.
    >
    > I must look up what Workstation gives over Server (I assume there is some
    > difference as Workstation is not free).

    Originally I think that Server was a pay-for product. It is now free.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Sep 29, 2007
  16. Hi there,

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,

    >>> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >>> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    >> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >>
    >> - VMplayer
    >> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    >> - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    >> - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >>
    >> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    >> be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    >> with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    >> works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    >> get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    >> the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >>
    >> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    >> well...
    >>
    >> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >>
    >> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...
    >>

    > The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    > functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?
    >
    > I have 15 VMs (DOS, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP etc, and
    > Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora etc) all running in VMWare
    > server. Not all at once of course.

    I've managed 3 at once (DSL Linux, Win 2K Pro, and Mac OS X86) but
    the performance takes a hit once the 3rd starts loading. Gimme 4GB
    RAM and an Athlon64 X2 6000+ and that'd be my ideal VM host...

    For those tin foil hat wearers who don't like to leave their name
    anywhere VMplayer will work, but perhaps the configuration of VMware
    server is more elegant.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 29, 2007
  17. Lodi

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,

    >>> Hi all...Thanks for the info.
    >>> So does this mean I download VMWare Player,
    >>> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    >>>

    >> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    > Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >
    > - VMplayer
    > - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    > - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    > - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >
    > With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    > be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    > with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    > works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    > get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    > the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >
    > Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    > well...
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >
    > It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...

    OK, but if the OP still has their existing Windows system running, they
    can convert the whole thing - apps, config and all - into a VM machine
    using the VMware tools for doing this. This can be done over a network,
    no need for a re-install from scratch.

    Would the resulting VM run in VMware player OK?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 4, 2007
  18. Lodi

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Hi there,

    >>> I would say download the VMWare Server - it is free. As you probably
    >>> figured the VMWare Player only 'plays' existing VMs.

    >> Not exactly true. You can setup a VM with the following...
    >>
    >> - VMplayer
    >> - An install disk(s) for your fave OS
    >> - A blank VMware disk image (plenty available on the net)
    >> - An example of the *.vmx config file
    >>
    >> With a small amount of fiddling in the config file you will
    >> be able to boot and install the OS. I've setup several VM's,
    >> with both Windows and Linux guesting on my openSUSE host. It
    >> works nicely...with 1GB of real RAM I can run a 512MB VM and
    >> get pretty good performance simultaneously in the VM and on
    >> the host, with a midrange Athlon64 3000+ system.
    >>
    >> Here is XP Home running in a VM with some hefty software as
    >> well...
    >>
    >> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/vmplayer.jpg
    >>
    >> It can be done, with only a small amount of 'fiddling'...
    >>

    > The question remains, though, why? VMWare Server is free and fully
    > functioned. VMWarePlayer is free, but it's a fiddle to install anything?

    Isn't there a difference in some of the limitations of each? Server only
    permits 2 USB devices, and these are USB1.1 at that. I think the Player
    may have better graphics, too.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 4, 2007