    convert a .vob to .avi with Panasonic DV Codec. The .vob has
    an aspect ratio of 16:9 and the saved .avi file 4:3. How do
    I retain the 16:9 when saving to .avi? --David

    J David Ellis, Feb 17, 2007

  2. J David Ellis

    Jukka Aho Guest

    J David Ellis wrote:

    > New to video files, I'm using VirtalDubMod 1.5.10.2 to
    > convert a .vob to .avi with Panasonic DV Codec. The .vob has
    > an aspect ratio of 16:9 and the saved .avi file 4:3. How do
    > I retain the 16:9 when saving to .avi? --David

    See "Video" -> "Compression" -> "Configure". Perhaps there is a "16:9"
    option in the configuration window that pops up. (The Panasonic codec
    provides that window so it has nothing to do with VirtualDubMod per se.)

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Jukka Aho wrote:
    > J David Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> New to video files, I'm using VirtalDubMod 1.5.10.2 to
    >> convert a .vob to .avi with Panasonic DV Codec. The .vob has
    >> an aspect ratio of 16:9 and the saved .avi file 4:3. How do
    >> I retain the 16:9 when saving to .avi? --David

    > See "Video" -> "Compression" -> "Configure". Perhaps there is a "16:9"
    > option in the configuration window that pops up. (The Panasonic codec
    > provides that window so it has nothing to do with VirtualDubMod per se.)

    Thanks, but there's no such choice.

    J David Ellis, Feb 18, 2007
  4. J David Ellis

    Jukka Aho Guest

    J David Ellis wrote:

    >> See "Video" -> "Compression" -> "Configure". Perhaps there is a
    >> "16:9" option in the configuration window that pops up. (The
    >> Panasonic codec provides that window so it has nothing to do with
    >> VirtualDubMod per se.)

    > Thanks, but there's no such choice.

    You could try installing a demo version of MainConcept's DV codec. I
    recall seeing an aspect ratio related configuration option in at least
    one of the commonly available DV codecs, but I can't recall which one it
    was.

    --
    znark

    Jukka Aho, Feb 18, 2007
  5. Jukka Aho wrote:
    > J David Ellis wrote:
    >
    >>> See "Video" -> "Compression" -> "Configure". Perhaps there is a
    >>> "16:9" option in the configuration window that pops up. (The
    >>> Panasonic codec provides that window so it has nothing to do with
    >>> VirtualDubMod per se.)

    >> Thanks, but there's no such choice.

    > You could try installing a demo version of MainConcept's DV codec. I
    > recall seeing an aspect ratio related configuration option in at least
    > one of the commonly available DV codecs, but I can't recall which one it
    > was.

    It turns out the problem is Virtual Dub changed the PAR
    (pixel aspect ratio) from 1.185 to 0.9, causing the problem.
    Adobe Premiere can change the PAR back to 1.185; problem
    solved. Thanks for the tips. --D

    J David Ellis, Feb 19, 2007