Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Trial

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 6, 2005.

    1. Advertising

  1. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    What is this?

    Is it like VirtualPC?

    Do I want to run it? Keeping in mind that I _do_ have access to most of the
    other server oerating systems and actually dd want to try out Windows Server
    2003 installation (32-bit) yesterday after I got some junkmail from
    Microsoft about a certification test which had my interest for maybe 10
    minutes before I moved on to other things and forgot about it.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Its the server version of Virtual PC, with specific tools for managing
    Server Operating Systems.

    "Virtual Server 2005 R2 is the cost-effective server virtualization
    technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key part
    of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases hardware
    utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and deploy new
    servers."

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/vsoverview.mspx
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 6, 2005
  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    In simple words, what is it, and what does it do ?
    Is it a server software add-on ? or is it another server version ?

    Ted, Dec 6, 2005
  4. It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
    client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows, Virtual
    Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating systems the
    same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform complementary
    services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do. Andre is
    mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on XP
    x64 and VPC does not.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  5. I was planning on going VMware, myself - they haven't bothered answering my
    e-mail, though, and the product does seem to still have trouble with DirectX
    and stuff. . .will VS be suitable for a Home Desktop, in your mind? I mean -
    I am not currently running any Server of any kind, but I don't imagine I
    would like the virtual machine to completely substitute for my dual-boot,
    but rather network one other physical machine for that job and have Linux as
    the virtual one. Perhaps?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Give the trial a go now that it is available. What have you got to lose?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Great! Thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 6, 2005
  8. 15 mins + the download time. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 6, 2005
  9. O.K. - It has landed, is there anything you can think of that I need to know
    before launching the setup?

    I am about to have a look at the FAQ now, but it is usually quite
    superficial.

    Hey - this is exciting!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 6, 2005
  10. Just make sure you have the prerequisite services running as specified in
    the release notes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Ah, yes - the services! I'll make a check on those, thank you.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2005
  12. Yes, one of my major annoyances with the install is that it doesn't just
    take care of that.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 7, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    I am sorry, this is new to me.

    The way I understood, it is a software that can run two
    operating systems at the same time.
    Anything above and including XP Pro.

    How does it work ?
    Do you install both OS in two separate hard drives,
    push a button and it will switch to the other operating
    system ?
    If true, then I can install it, install the second drive
    I dual boot to XP 64 drive. ?
    Does it have a command line in the Boot.ini ?

    When you switch to other OS, does it reboot the first
    time you run it, or boots both OSs at the same time ?

    If one OS is corrupt and would not load, what happens ?

    Can you copy files from one OS hard drive to the other ?

    Is the other OS stays running or it halts, or does it stay
    running of the other processor ?
    Is dual core good enough, or need two separate processors ?
    Would my available memory drop in half ?

    Many thanks.

    Ted, Dec 7, 2005
  14. You should navigate to the Virtual Server home page at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx and
    click on the "Read the product overview" link.

    Virtual Server can run a number of x86 operating systems simultaneously,
    depending on your computers resources. The range of operating systems are
    from DOS through Server 2003 and hundreds of Linux and other *nix systems.
    See http://vpc.visualwin.com/ (the list for VPC is relevant for Virtual
    Server also).

    Virtual Server manages 'guest' virtual machines that are run on the 'host'
    operating system. Dual booting is not involved. The boot.ini file is not
    involved. Forget everything you ever knew about multbooting.

    The virtual machines each have their own virtual hard drives which are just
    files on the host storage system. You do not partition any host drives to
    use virtual machines.

    You must install guest operating systems the same way you would install them
    on physical computers. You must have an available license for each
    operating system you run in a virtual machine just like you would on any
    physical machine.

    The whole point of virtual machines is that you do not have to reboot to run
    operating systems of your choosing.

    After installing VS R2 trial you will find docs in the Virtual Server
    folder.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Thank you very much.
    I did read the FAQ and the Overview, but doesn't answer
    or explain my questions.

    Ted, Dec 7, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
    can understand what to be facing.

    Ted, Dec 7, 2005
  17. Many of your questions are not relevant to Virtual Server because Virtual
    Server does not do things the way you are trying to visualize them. In such
    a case your questions would not be answered because the questions do not
    apply. Just step back a bit and go back to the VS home page and read
    everything that looks interesting to you. Follow the links. Download any
    available whitepapers. Do it any way comfortable for you, but don't do it
    with preconceived notions. They are keeping you from seeing the picture.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  18. The webcasts are especially instructive.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  19. They do. In the docs that will be in the Virtual Server folder after you
    install the trial. As for installing an OS, you just do it the same way you
    would on a physical computer. You're going to have to try it hands on.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005