Virtual Reality image presentatons - software needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cambium, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. cambium

    cambium Guest

    I want to photograph some art object from multiple angles and stitch the
    photographs in a similar manner to the panorama stitching operation, but in
    a more complex way so as to offer the viewer the capability to view the
    object from any angle.

    I would like to find some software (very preferably freeware) that can help
    me make a virtual reality presentation of these art objects.
    What I have in mind is the type where the viewer can use his mouse on the
    picture area to manipulate the viewing angle to any portion of the object.

    I imagine that this will involve photographing the object on a revolving
    pedestal, and turning it a few degrees of rotation between each exposure.
    That would give all the information from one axis. This could be extended to
    the other axis by doing the same operation with the object at 60 degree
    angles from the first. An example of the final result I am looking for can
    be found on this Toyota website, although this example gives only one axis
    of roation. Any help much appreciated.

    http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/4/wo/Home.Vehicles.Prius-s26
    MBvSgAx5lwZcSffl89w/5.11?index%2ehtml

    Choose 360 degree view from the navigation menu.

    (By the way, that's my car, and I love it!)

    cambium, Feb 9, 2005

  2. cambium

    cambium Guest

    Please note on the previous post, both lines of the URL (also below) has to
    be copied and pasted into your browser because it seems to want to wrap to a
    second line, which then isn't included in the link.

    cambium, Feb 9, 2005

  3. cambium

    paul Guest

    The link is not really linkable but probably what they have is either a
    'movie' or some sort with separate frames or possibly a 3D model but not
    stitched like a panorama. Probably some way to control movie frames with
    flash.

    paul, Feb 10, 2005