    My question is really just to get the guys with the expertise to confirm for
    me. Can VPC be installed on Windows XP home edition or not?

    If not, I can obtain a second pc to work with. (I think)

    BNStan, Nov 22, 2007

  2. BNStan

    LZ27 Guest

    Hi,
    I believe Virtual PC 2007 will not run on your Windows XP Home Edition since the system requirements posted on the site does not show your OS.
    System Requirements
    a.. Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    An x64-based or an x86-based computer with a 400 MHz or faster (1 GHz recommended) processor with L2 cache

    Processor: AMD Athlon/Duron, Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium II, Intel Pentium III, Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core Duo, and Intel Core2 Duo

    RAM: Add the RAM requirement for the host operating system that you will be using to the requirement for the guest operating system that you will be using. If you will be using multiple guest operating systems simultaneously, total the requirements for all the guest operating systems that you need to run simultaneously.

    Available disk space: To determine the hard disk space required, add the requirement for each guest operating system that will be installed.

    Virtual PC 2007 runs on: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business; Windows Vistaâ„¢ Enterprise; Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate; Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition; Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition; Windows XP Professional; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

    Thanks,

    Larry

    LZ27, Nov 22, 2007

  3. BNStan

    John R Guest

    "BNStan" <> wrote in message
    >I was having a look through the discussions, when I noticed someone had
    >asked
    > a question about installing Windows XP Professional while retaining their
    > current OS.
    >
    > Virtual PC happened to be the solution. This is great! However, I have
    > Windows XP home edition on my desktop. If I try and install VPC, I receive
    > an
    > error to say my OS is incompatable.
    >
    > I'm assuming VPC is not going to work so I cancel out of the install.
    >
    > I have a fair bit of common sense and read up before trying to install the
    > software, but thought I would give it a go anyway.
    >
    > My question is really just to get the guys with the expertise to confirm
    > for
    > me. Can VPC be installed on Windows XP home edition or not?
    >
    > If not, I can obtain a second pc to work with. (I think)

    XP Home is not listed as a supported host OS, at least not for V PC 2007

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

    I guess google doesn't work in your area, too bad. These were the first
    couple links.

    John R

    John R, Nov 22, 2007
  4. BNStan

    TheITGirl Guest

    > XP Home is not listed as a supported host OS, at least not for V PC 2007
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx
    >
    > I guess google doesn't work in your area, too bad. These were the first
    > couple links.
    >
    > John R

    I read on a forum somewhere that some people had been able to install
    Virtual PC on a computer running XP Home, but I couldn't. It allowed me to
    install the software, but every time I restarted my PC it BSOD'd straight
    after my desktop came up. I had to boot up into Safe Mode to uninstall it.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Nov 22, 2007
  5. BNStan

    BNStan Guest

    Funny. Google does work in my area. And I did happen to look at both those
    web pages before posting this. All I was looking for was a sensible yes or
    no. Which I got from Larry. Thanks.

    If VPC 2007 isn't going to work. I've read about VPC 2004, which probably
    won't work either.

    Cheers anyway guys. And girl.

    BNStan, Nov 22, 2007
  6. BNStan

    John R Guest

    "BNStan" <> wrote in message
    > Funny. Google does work in my area. And I did happen to look at both those
    > web pages before posting this. All I was looking for was a sensible yes or
    > no. Which I got from Larry. Thanks.
    >
    > If VPC 2007 isn't going to work. I've read about VPC 2004, which probably
    > won't work either.
    >
    > Cheers anyway guys. And girl.
    >
    > "John R" wrote:
    >

    >> "BNStan" <> wrote in message
    >> >I was having a look through the discussions, when I noticed someone had
    >> >asked
    >> > a question about installing Windows XP Professional while retaining
    >> > their
    >> > current OS.
    >> >
    >> > Virtual PC happened to be the solution. This is great! However, I have
    >> > Windows XP home edition on my desktop. If I try and install VPC, I
    >> > receive
    >> > an
    >> > error to say my OS is incompatable.
    >> >
    >> > I'm assuming VPC is not going to work so I cancel out of the install.
    >> >
    >> > I have a fair bit of common sense and read up before trying to install
    >> > the
    >> > software, but thought I would give it a go anyway.
    >> >
    >> > My question is really just to get the guys with the expertise to
    >> > confirm
    >> > for
    >> > me. Can VPC be installed on Windows XP home edition or not?
    >> >
    >> > If not, I can obtain a second pc to work with. (I think)

    >> XP Home is not listed as a supported host OS, at least not for V PC 2007
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx
    >>
    >> I guess google doesn't work in your area, too bad. These were the first
    >> couple links.
    >>
    >> John R

    Don't take offense, it wasn't meant that way, it's just funny how many
    people post questions here that are answered so quickly with a quick search.

    John R

    John R, Nov 22, 2007
  7. BNStan

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day <> did cause the

    Bottom line, if the program says it won't install and the vendor says
    its not compatible, chances are you are wasting your time. Consider it a
    lesson in running systems in a professional environment. Trying to
    "hack" or "tweak" something to make it work is probably not a good idea
    and could lead to weird and unknown problems down the road.

    > Funny. Google does work in my area. And I did happen to look at both
    > those web pages before posting this. All I was looking for was a
    > sensible yes or no. Which I got from Larry. Thanks.

    I would say the fact that its not on the compatibility list is a pretty
    sensible "no" to me. All Larry did was post what it says on the
    Microsoft site. Which you claim you already read. So why did you bother
    posting in the first place if you already had your answer?

    > If VPC 2007 isn't going to work. I've read about VPC 2004, which
    > probably won't work either.

    Being as you know how to use search, you'll be able to find that answer
    as I did.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Nov 22, 2007
  8. BNStan

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day catwalker63 <> did
    cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > We can't abuse the lusers so
    > we generally smack the so-called professionals around quite a lot.

    PotD

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL