    Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
    pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
    Virtual pc? Bill
    Need help on MCP certification test, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Yes you can install a virtual image of Windows XP Professional on a
    Windows XP Home PC. I did not follow your second question, so I will go
    to your third. There are no advantages to install a 90 day evaluation
    copy of Windows XP Professional over installing it virtually. Here are a
    few reason:
    1.) It is a 90 day evaluation operating system
    2.) You need a second pc to install the 90 day evaluation software.
    This is because it does not make any sense to blow away your only
    production machine to install a evaluation operating system.
    3.) There is no fail safe if you corrupt your evaluation operating
    system with the exception of reloading. With Virtual PC, you can totally
    screw up your virtual system and rebuild it virtually while your
    production machine remains unharmed.

    You are more than welcome to post further question concerning virtual pc
    here; however there is a newsgroup dedicated to the technology. It can
    be found at Microsoft.public.virtualpc

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    "Need help on MCP certification test"
    <> wrote in
    message news::

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 15, 2007

  3. Good day:
    Michael, thank you, your answers are helpful. The second question is this
    ..... what are the system requirements for addiing the Virtual pc. Say for
    example, one has 2.8 GHz and 512 Ram and is already running XP Home, are
    there requirements for additional Ram and GHz, or is that which is running
    the XP Home sufficient ? Bill
    I also have a older Dell computer with XP Professional on it, but I'm
    interested in knowing about the Virtual pc. I can visit the other web site
    but I thought you might know. And you are very correct, sometime ago I did
    blow away the machine on which I loaded on the evaluation cd. I don't want to
    use another evaulation cd. Bill

    Need help on MCP certification test, Mar 15, 2007
  4. Here is a great link that will provide the information you requested. I
    would put it down in the post; but why recreate the wheel right? :)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Ummm, Although XP home can be a 'guest' operating system, Virtual PC will not
    run on XP home. Virtual PC 2007 runs on Windows Vista Business, Windows
    Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Professional, or Windows
    XP Tablet PC Edition. see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx
    Virtual PC 2004 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional,
    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.
    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3f-3aae-40da-b4e9-dabe2a6b5bf9&displaylang=en
    Virtual PC 2004 vs. Virtual Server: Comparison of Features and Use
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CB-0F24-408E-AF8F-51EDF508D361&displaylang=en

    virtual pc won't run on xp home, Mar 16, 2007
  6. Apologize I misread the question. I thought I saw Windows XP Home as the
    quest on a Windows XP Professional. :-(

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,