    Windows Server 2003 trial edition. The logical thing for me is to use
    Virtual Server, but I'm a newbie at using this program.

    Advice?

    keith chilton, Jun 12, 2007

  2. "keith chilton" <> wrote in message
    news::

    > I have xp professional on my personal PC. I am going to start studying
    > for
    > the 290 and 291 exams within days and i want to know what the
    > recommended
    > advice is on using Virtual PC or Virtual Server on this personal PC for
    > Windows Server 2003 trial edition. The logical thing for me is to use
    > Virtual Server, but I'm a newbie at using this program.
    >
    > Advice?

    Keith! Where have you been brother?!? I am using Vista on my laptop with
    Virtual PC installed. I have tons of virtual images including Windows
    Server 2003. It runs without issue. Hope that helps.
    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 12, 2007

  3. Hey Michael,

    I have been doing other things for a while. I bought a new car. 2007 Honda
    Civic Hybrid! I finally have all the books i need for my studying. I had
    trouble with one particular amazon seller for over a month for that 290 exam
    MS Press book.

    Thanks for the info. I won't even bother with Virtual Server. Have you ever
    touched it?

    I'm going to use all 4 books at once and use Virtual PC to kind of do a mass
    gathering and learning on Windows Server 2003 topics in "sessions". I
    figured this might be the way to go. Then applying that knowledge to servers
    at work.

    My books are
    1) Windows Server 2003 : Inside Out
    2) Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
    3) MS press 70-290
    4) MS press 70-291

    I'll be around more now!

    Keith

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    keith chilton, Jun 12, 2007
  4. "keith chilton" <> wrote in message

    > Hey Michael,
    >
    > I have been doing other things for a while. I bought a new car. 2007
    > Honda
    > Civic Hybrid! I finally have all the books i need for my studying. I had
    > trouble with one particular amazon seller for over a month for that 290
    > exam
    > MS Press book.
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I won't even bother with Virtual Server. Have you
    > ever
    > touched it?
    >
    > I'm going to use all 4 books at once and use Virtual PC to kind of do a
    > mass
    > gathering and learning on Windows Server 2003 topics in "sessions". I
    > figured this might be the way to go. Then applying that knowledge to
    > servers
    > at work.
    >
    > My books are
    > 1) Windows Server 2003 : Inside Out
    > 2) Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
    > 3) MS press 70-290
    > 4) MS press 70-291
    >
    > I'll be around more now!
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    > > "keith chilton" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >> I have xp professional on my personal PC. I am going to start

    > studying
    > >> for
    > >> the 290 and 291 exams within days and i want to know what the
    > >> recommended
    > >> advice is on using Virtual PC or Virtual Server on this personal PC

    > for
    > >> Windows Server 2003 trial edition. The logical thing for me is to use
    > >> Virtual Server, but I'm a newbie at using this program.
    > >>
    > >> Advice?

    > > Keith! Where have you been brother?!? I am using Vista on my laptop

    > with
    > > Virtual PC installed. I have tons of virtual images including Windows
    > > Server 2003. It runs without issue. Hope that helps.
    > > --
    > > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > > CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    You books look good. They will serve you well. Now get into the product
    and learn the technology! Good luck.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 12, 2007
  5. keith chilton

    wakaman Guest

    On Jun 11, 11:40 pm, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]"
    <> wrote:
    > "keith chilton" <> wrote in message

    > > Hey Michael,

    > > I have been doing other things for a while. I bought a new car. 2007
    > > Honda
    > > Civic Hybrid! I finally have all the books i need for my studying. I had
    > > trouble with one particular amazon seller for over a month for that 290
    > > exam
    > > MS Press book.

    > > Thanks for the info. I won't even bother with Virtual Server. Have you
    > > ever
    > > touched it?

    > > I'm going to use all 4 books at once and use Virtual PC to kind of do a
    > > mass
    > > gathering and learning on Windows Server 2003 topics in "sessions". I
    > > figured this might be the way to go. Then applying that knowledge to
    > > servers
    > > at work.

    > > My books are
    > > 1) Windows Server 2003 : Inside Out
    > > 2) Mastering Windows Server 2003 (minassi)
    > > 3) MS press 70-290
    > > 4) MS press 70-291

    > > I'll be around more now!

    > > Keith

    > > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <> wrote in
    > > messagenews:...

    > > > "keith chilton" <> wrote in message

    > > studying

    > > for

    > > > Keith! Where have you been brother?!? I am using Vista on my laptop

    > > with
    > > > Virtual PC installed. I have tons of virtual images including Windows
    > > > Server 2003. It runs without issue. Hope that helps.
    > > > --
    > > > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > > > The I.T. Classroom -http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > > > CertGuard -http://www.certguard.com

    > You books look good. They will serve you well. Now get into the product
    > and learn the technology! Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    > The I.T. Classroom -http://www.theitclassroom.com/
    > CertGuard -http://www.certguard.com- Hide quoted text -

    Keith
    This is what I did for my hands on practice. Buy the
    MS Press books(it cames with a trial win2003 server CD). Since I
    didn't have an extra PC at home, I downloaded VM Play station for
    free
    at http://www.vmware.com/download then, download the virtual machine
    creator at http://www.easyvmx.com. This worked out great for me.
    Recommended track for MCSA + Messaging:
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    70-284

    wakaman, Jun 13, 2007
  6. What is the recommendation on which test to take first? 291 is the harder of
    them i have heard... I'd like to get one done and out of the way so I am
    thinking the 290 might allow me to pass it with less effort than the 291 is
    going to involve studying for. I printed off the prequisites a little bit
    ago and looked them over. Is the 290 actually easier than the 291?

    Thanks wakaman and Michael

    keith chilton, Jun 13, 2007
  7. "keith chilton" <> wrote in message

    > What is the recommendation on which test to take first? 291 is the
    > harder of
    > them i have heard... I'd like to get one done and out of the way so I am
    > thinking the 290 might allow me to pass it with less effort than the 291
    > is
    > going to involve studying for. I printed off the prequisites a little
    > bit
    > ago and looked them over. Is the 290 actually easier than the 291?
    >
    > Thanks wakaman and Michael

    70-290 first.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 13, 2007
  8. It's good to get studying again! My break is officially over! 290 here I
    come. I have 3500 pages of reading material on my kitchen table for the past
    2 nights LOL

    keith chilton, Jun 15, 2007
  9. keith chilton

    Scott S. Guest

    Keith,

    Use Virtual Server if you need the VMs to run when you are not logged on to
    the host because Virtual PC is closed when you log off causing the VMs to
    either save state or shutdown.

    The only other difference is the virtual hardware they support. Both have
    all the basics, but VS has server types of stuff like SCSI, and VPC had
    desktop stuff like the sound card.

    Ciao,
    Scott

    Scott S., Jul 13, 2007