    Jay Guest

    Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro or 2000
    in a virtual PC running on 64?
    Jay, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Jay

    ponpon.nul Guest

    Jay a écrit :
    > Will Virtual PC 2004 run under Win XP 64? Can I then install XP Pro or 2000
    > in a virtual PC running on 64?

    No you should use VMWARE 5, wich is finela working under XP 64 bits

    J0

    Site : http://www.mesnews.net
    ponpon.nul, Jul 12, 2005

  3. No, Virtual PC 2004 is not compatible and their is no expected update
    announced that will enable support un x64. In mean time you could try the
    following alternatives, VM Ware Workstation 5.0 or Virtual Server 2005 SP1
    BETA.

    Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx

    Remember, its beta:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  4. No, VPC doesn't work on x64 Edition. The current beta of SP1 for Virtual
    Server, however, does support 32-bit clients on an x64 Host. No support for
    x64 clients, however. :(

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2005
  5. So, write us a new motherboard emulation to replace the Intel 440BX so we
    can do 64-bit guests. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Thanks. I'm finding it almost pointless to run Windows 64 with it's limited
    support for almost everything. Maybe MS should of waited till they
    themselves supported their own hardware and software before releasing an OS
    that won't run much...

    Jay, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Which applications aren't work for you yet on x64 Jay?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  8. Microsoft makes it very clear that not everything is supported in Windows 64
    yet, which is why they don't offer a retail box. Fortunately, a lot of
    hardware and software vendors are currently working on porting their apps to
    64. You will see a LOT more support very soon. All of my onboard hardware is
    supported already. For my USB devices that aren't supported, I use VMware for
    that.

    I think of Windows X64 as a transitional product. When Longhorn comes along,
    almost everything will have 64bit support. (All current HW at least).

    =?Utf-8?B?emFjaw==?=, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Both Intel and AMD are working on hardware virtualization technology,
    actually, built into the chips. Last I heard, AMD was ahead on this one, but
    who knows if that's still true. But I'd expect, in a not too distant future,
    to have the level of virtualization that is far beyond what we can do today,
    fully supported at the chip level.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Pacifica is sounding really neat. :)

    MS is in a great position to leverage their ownership of Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Jay

    Don Awalt Guest

    I have been trying for two days to get into betaplace, and it keeps timing
    out. Is the site down?

    https://www.betaplace.com/sign-in/signin.asp

    Don Awalt, Jul 13, 2005
  12. I read that Intel should debut the technology this year in their Itanium and
    Xeon processors.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005
  13. It usually is sometimes.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005
  14. Christian Hougardy, Jul 13, 2005