    Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin apart from
    i-call.gr?

    Bob

    Bob_Cat, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Bob_Cat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Bob_Cat" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to get myself a virtual number with a
    > provider in Greece, and I notice that many
    > countries/providers are very fussy about who owns a phone
    > number. You often have to declare residence in order to
    > get a number. I have a VoIPBuster (Betamax) account and
    > that required me to declare I was in the UK to get my 07
    > virtual number.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of any legalities or requirements in
    > regards of this?
    >
    > Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin
    > apart from i-call.gr?

    Do you perhaps know anyone there..? It's sometimes possible to get a
    number by giving (with their permission, of course) a friend's address.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Bob_Cat

    RH Guest

    "Bob_Cat" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to get myself a virtual number with a provider in
    > Greece, and I notice that many countries/providers are very fussy about
    > who owns a phone number. You often have to declare residence in order
    > to get a number. I have a VoIPBuster (Betamax) account and that
    > required me to declare I was in the UK to get my 07 virtual number.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of any legalities or requirements in regards of this?
    >
    > Is anyone aware of anyone in Greece providing callin apart from
    > i-call.gr?

    Legailites vary according to country, but self preservation of the telecoms
    industry
    is probably the biggest force, some countries phone systems are still
    government owned.
    Local VOIP numbers been no international call charges, where profit margins
    are very high.

    There is I think very reasonable reasons for numbers being registered, with
    potential for criminal acts
    a VOIP number is very diificult to trace. I know thyere were worries in the
    UK when pay as you go mobiles
    could be bought without registering.

    We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted, where as
    places like South Africa VOIP
    bandwidth is often shaped to make it unusable and some ARAB countries where
    its is banned, at least
    for general consumers

    RH, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Bob_Cat

    Guest

    www.evoice.gr. They'll give you a number when you sign up and you don't
    have to pay a monthly fee for it. Oh and their rates are better too.

    The only catch is that you can only top up with a credit card over the
    phone.

    , Dec 13, 2006
  5. Bob_Cat

    Tim Guest

    RH wrote:
    > We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted,

    Unless you want an Isle of Man number, where the incumbent telco is
    being very restrictive.

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Bob_Cat

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-13, Tim <> wrote:

    > RH wrote:
    >> We are quite lucky in the UK, VOIP is pretty much unrestricted,

    > Unless you want an Isle of Man number, where the incumbent telco is
    > being very restrictive.

    Which is some confirmation that the UK has a more accomodating VoIP
    regime than other places.

    Brian.

    Brian, Dec 13, 2006