    Help!

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    The Stone Crusher, Mar 23, 2009

  2. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:28:49 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual memory.

    So have you checked your virtual memory? What is it configured at?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

    >I have partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is 15GB - which I thought was big
    >enough.

    That has nothing to do with virtual memory.

    >Occasionally I also get a msg that I am running out of space on C:/

    Ok, so how much space do you have FREE out of that 15 gb partition?
    Evan Platt, Mar 23, 2009

  3. The Stone Crusher

    Sky King Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in message
    >I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual memory. I have
    >partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is 15GB - which I thought was big
    >enough. Occasionally I also get a msg that I am running out of space on
    >C:/
    >
    > I am running
    > XP Pro SP2
    > [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]

    Hi;

    You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than run just XP and
    nothing else. At least twice that amount would be a good starting point;
    more is better. While a vast over-simplification, consider this:
    - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
    defined)
    - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Tmp storage (not the
    same as Temp above)
    - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp (the one in the
    Windows folder) storage
    - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have RAM installed
    - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for the Recycle Bin
    - Windows needs 12% of the available drive space for System Restore files

    There are some other items like the above, but those will do for this
    example. Taking your system as you describe it, that would be:
    1.5 GB for Temp
    1.5 GB for Tmp
    1.5 GB for Temp (system)
    2.0 GB for the swapfile
    1.5 GB for Recycle Bin
    1.8 GB for System Restore
    ----------------------------
    9.8 GB just for the system to start working

    As I said, the above is an over-simplification, is based on x86 systems; but
    the basic tenet is sound. So even though Properties might show 10GB of free
    space on that 15GB drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to work with,
    on which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the above items can
    be user-configured to a smaller amount, doing so just forces the system to
    crawl along crippled.

    Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick the "Let Windows
    decide" method for allocating the swapfile (virtual memory storage).

    --
    ....Sky
    ====
    Sky King, Mar 23, 2009
  4. The Stone Crusher

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:28:49 -0500, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual memory. I have
    > partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is 15GB - which I thought was big
    > enough. Occasionally I also get a msg that I am running out of space on
    > C:/

    Double-click on 'My Computer'. Highlight your 'C' drive. Look at the
    little pie chart that appears at the bottom left of the window.

    Come back here and post what the figures on the pie chart say.

    > I am running
    > XP Pro SP2

    SP3 has been out for quite some time.

    > [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Goodwill,

    Hunting.

    > Luke

    Aardvark

    Aardvark, Mar 23, 2009
  5. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:20:41 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >> Goodwill,

    >Hunting.

    lol.. What was that game show, where they'd give you a word, you have
    to come up with the next word that starts with the letter given, and
    each one would make a two word phrase, ie

    CHECK
    BOOK
    CLUB
    CARD
    etc..

    But they'd give you CHECK and then B and you'd have to come up with
    Book, then C and you'd have to come up with Club.. Maybe we could
    start something like that here :-D
    Evan Platt, Mar 23, 2009
  6. The Stone Crusher

    thanatoid Guest

    "Sky King" <> wrote in

    > "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    > message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$...
    >>I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual
    >>memory. I have partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is
    >>15GB - which I thought was big enough. Occasionally I also
    >>get a msg that I am running out of space on C:/

    <SNIP>

    > You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
    > run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
    > would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
    > vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
    > 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
    > defined) - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
    > for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
    > - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
    > (the one in the Windows folder) storage

    If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine.
    The OP does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless
    he has a lot more huge programs installed than the average
    person.

    > - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have
    > RAM installed

    Where the hell did you get THAT from?

    - Windows needs 10% of the available drive
    > space for the Recycle Bin

    HUH????? You should a) almost never use it b) EMPTY IT every
    time you see it's got something in it.

    - Windows needs 12% of the
    > available drive space for System Restore files

    If you fall into that insane scheme instead of just setting up
    your C drive right and imaging it. Anyway, 12% of 15GB is what,
    1.8 GB?

    > There are some other items like the above, but those will
    > do for this example. Taking your system as you describe it,
    > that would be:
    > 1.5 GB for Temp
    > 1.5 GB for Tmp
    > 1.5 GB for Temp (system)
    > 2.0 GB for the swapfile
    > 1.5 GB for Recycle Bin
    > 1.8 GB for System Restore
    > ----------------------------
    > 9.8 GB just for the system to start working
    >
    > As I said, the above is an over-simplification, is based on
    > x86 systems; but the basic tenet is sound.

    No it, is image. Or in this case, a mirage.

    > So even though
    > Properties might show 10GB of free space on that 15GB
    > drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to work with, on
    > which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the
    > above items can be user-configured to a smaller amount,
    > doing so just forces the system to crawl along crippled.

    EXACTLY the opposite.

    > Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick
    > the "Let Windows decide" method for allocating the swapfile
    > (virtual memory storage).

    AOT 9x, XP DOES work better with "let Windows decide" (shudder).

    OP: Run a spyware/AV check on the ENTIRE drive.
    Scandisk and defrag C.
    Consider moving some stuff to other partitions.
    Empty browser and other cache/temp dirs every time you get off
    line.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 23, 2009
  7. thanatoid wrote:
    > "Sky King" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    >> message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$...
    >>> I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual
    >>> memory. I have partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is
    >>> 15GB - which I thought was big enough. Occasionally I also
    >>> get a msg that I am running out of space on C:/

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
    >> run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
    >> would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
    >> vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
    >> 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
    >> defined) - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
    >> for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
    >> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
    >> (the one in the Windows folder) storage

    > If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine.
    > The OP does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless
    > he has a lot more huge programs installed than the average
    > person.
    >
    >> - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have
    >> RAM installed

    > Where the hell did you get THAT from?
    >
    > - Windows needs 10% of the available drive
    >> space for the Recycle Bin

    > HUH????? You should a) almost never use it b) EMPTY IT every
    > time you see it's got something in it.
    >
    > - Windows needs 12% of the
    >> available drive space for System Restore files

    > If you fall into that insane scheme instead of just setting up
    > your C drive right and imaging it. Anyway, 12% of 15GB is what,
    > 1.8 GB?
    >
    >> There are some other items like the above, but those will
    >> do for this example. Taking your system as you describe it,
    >> that would be:
    >> 1.5 GB for Temp
    >> 1.5 GB for Tmp
    >> 1.5 GB for Temp (system)
    >> 2.0 GB for the swapfile
    >> 1.5 GB for Recycle Bin
    >> 1.8 GB for System Restore
    >> ----------------------------
    >> 9.8 GB just for the system to start working
    >>
    >> As I said, the above is an over-simplification, is based on
    >> x86 systems; but the basic tenet is sound.

    > No it, is image. Or in this case, a mirage.
    >
    >> So even though
    >> Properties might show 10GB of free space on that 15GB
    >> drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to work with, on
    >> which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the
    >> above items can be user-configured to a smaller amount,
    >> doing so just forces the system to crawl along crippled.

    > EXACTLY the opposite.
    >
    >> Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick
    >> the "Let Windows decide" method for allocating the swapfile
    >> (virtual memory storage).

    > AOT 9x, XP DOES work better with "let Windows decide" (shudder).

    Depends on the amout of physical ram you have instaled.
    I set me pops old w98 Celeron machine to use no swap and use the ram
    instead. But its has 300mb of ram in it...
    Fast as hell now :)

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 23, 2009
  8. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:48:14 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >3GB

    Ok, so that answered one of my questions. Having only 3 GB free could
    certainly cause the "Running out of disk space on C" drive message.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
  9. 3GB

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 25, 2009
  10. Thank you! I could not make sense of the other emails - my fault. I'm sure
    there is very valuable info there for someone who understands it..

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 25, 2009
  11. The Stone Crusher

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:54:07 -0500, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > Thank you! I could not make sense of the other emails

    Which emails? You've not mentioned any emails before.

    Aardvark, Mar 25, 2009
  12. The Stone Crusher

    Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Sky King" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    > > message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$...
    > >>I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual
    > >>memory. I have partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is
    > >>15GB - which I thought was big enough. Occasionally I also
    > >>get a msg that I am running out of space on C:/

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > > You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
    > > run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
    > > would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
    > > vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
    > > 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
    > > defined) - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
    > > for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
    > > - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
    > > (the one in the Windows folder) storage

    > If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine.
    > The OP does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless
    > he has a lot more huge programs installed than the average
    > person.

    I've had 15 gigs with XP on the C: dive for years. I use it for the
    operating system and a few programs that require
    it to be installed in the C: drive. Still has plenty of space.
    , Mar 27, 2009
  13. Thanks
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  14. Thanks
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 27, 2009
  15. Thanks
    Luke

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "Sky King" <> wrote in
    >>> "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$...

    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
    >>> run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
    >>> would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
    >>> vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
    >>> 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User defined) -
    >>> Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
    >>> for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
    >>> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
    >>> (the one in the Windows folder) storage

    >> If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine. The OP
    >> does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless he has a lot more
    >> huge programs installed than the average person.
    >>
    >>> - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have
    >>> RAM installed

    >> Where the hell did you get THAT from?
    >>
    >> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive
    >>> space for the Recycle Bin

    >> HUH????? You should a) almost never use it b) EMPTY IT every time you see
    >> it's got something in it.
    >>
    >> - Windows needs 12% of the
    >>> available drive space for System Restore files

    >> If you fall into that insane scheme instead of just setting up your C
    >> drive right and imaging it. Anyway, 12% of 15GB is what, 1.8 GB?
    >>
    >>> There are some other items like the above, but those will
    >>> do for this example. Taking your system as you describe it,
    >>> that would be: 1.5 GB for Temp
    >>> 1.5 GB for Tmp
    >>> 1.5 GB for Temp (system)
    >>> 2.0 GB for the swapfile